Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

eli104

New in Town
You are absolutely right, Alan. An even better way may be to use Google's own solution: "The site-specific search". If you add " site:thefedoralounge.com" (without the quotes) to the search-string, Google will only search that specific site. So if you want to search for "Borsalino Fu Lazzaro" on the lounge, you would write "Borsalino Fu Lazzaro site:thefedoralounge.com" in the search-field on Google. Works like a charm ;)

You can check out this page for more on advanced searches, using Google.

Thanks to all of you! Looks like I have a bit more research to do... and thanks for the ideas on the Google search as well, this will certainly help. Now if you wouldn't mind finding me a few more hours in my day so I can add this to my list of "things to do" without fear of it getting lost.... :-D

But hold on now... are you saying one of my hats is a Fu Lazzaro? I'm not seeing that on the labels or bands?!

Last edited:
Having reached my self imposed limit of hats but retaining the urge....I picked up a nice Borsalino on Ebay in a small size as a gift to my wife. When it arrived I dutifully cleaned, blocked and rebashed the hat to its deserved glory. Upon presentation she loved the hat but then went on to tell me it was far too symmetrical and perfect.......she uhbashed it and randomly rebashed (squished it). She then proudly announced....."There is a hat I would wear!" Taste, you cannot account for it's presence or absence!

But hold on now... are you saying one of my hats is a Fu Lazzaro? I'm not seeing that on the labels or bands?!

This one.

19386368204_2d01037b91_b.jpg

It's not an original G.B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. (1906-1936) which are a rare find. There were two Borsalinos up to 1936. Yours is just later marketing by Borsalino Giuseppe e Fratello SPA (Antica Casa). Read through this thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53129-G-B-Borsalino-Fu-Lazzaro-amp-C-lt-1936

Last edited:

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Borsalino hasn't sewn in their linings since 1986!! It is too costly . They do sewn in the linings only on one or two of their top quality hats such as the Icaro and Cervelt (deer felt) . The store in Italy can order any style in any quality such as 49, 32 or even 10 qualita superior.

eli104

New in Town
This one.

19386368204_2d01037b91_b.jpg

It's not an original G.B. Borsalino Fu Lazzaro & C. (1906-1936) which are a rare find. There were two Borsalinos up to 1936. Yours is just later marketing by Borsalino Giuseppe e Fratello SPA (Antica Casa). Read through this thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?53129-G-B-Borsalino-Fu-Lazzaro-amp-C-lt-1936

More reading... I thought there was no reading during the summer program!?

That hat was my father's (as opposed to all the others, which date to my wife's grandfather). Yes, I'm pretty sure it's 60's, maybe 50's.... just would have thought the others older. Live and learn. But in the end, we keep them clean, nice, and wear them to only the right places!

eli104

New in Town
Years were not part of the numbering scheme in 1938.

Colombo:

eli_colombo.jpg

So Alanfgag... I pulled back the sweatband AND the liner underneath, and found... YES, labels on both of the hats! I'm not sure if this helps with any dating or just verifies that these too are 50's-60's like the rest.

Both of these are the Colombo hats, one bark brown, the other dark green. The only thing I can say for sure is that the labels look to be HAND STICHED into the hats:
https://flic.kr/p/wQjxcw
https://flic.kr/p/vVLrYZ

Still in all, I wish these two were 1/2 size larger. Maybe my wife grandfather's head grew in size over the years, but they both seem a smidge smaller than the others.

Yes, these labels are helpful for dating. They are the style that follows the version with Borsalino logo running up the left side of the label used from the late 1950s into the 1960s. These are adhesive labels. The stitching you are seeing holds the ribbon/bow.

Borsalinos tend to run small within a given size.

enjoy them!

ps: I defer to Carouselvic's dating expertise on all things Borsalino.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe