Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Hat Brigade

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1! nice ones here.
I thought this one made by our own DRB deserved a place in this thread: beautiful hat, and my only 100% beaver felt.
blackbrooksbeaver002cop.jpg

009copy.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
two very similar ones in a row! They are very strikingly stark, especially with what appears from here to be raw rolled edges. I dig. That bow is neat too. Looks great, Lefty!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Lefty,
I've gotten some great hats from the Amish over the years.
When I was in Indian Wars living history, that is where I'd get the hats I'd make into by officer grade campaign and dress hats. They were really tough and great looking.

Before I got my black Squatter, I was seriously looking at ordering a 3-inch brim Amish dress hat from Gohn Brothers ... fur felt, of course.

I recently lucked into a black Schott leather flight jacket and my black Squatter goes great with it.

Sort of a Noir Indy thing ... except I flatter myself

Sam

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Do we have an Amish hat thread? It's something that has piqued my interest as of late.
I fished this one up a few weeks ago and am kind of entranced by the black felt paired with the charcoal-ish trim. It's made by Flying Cloud Hats of Lancaster County, PA.
Nothing specifying the material, but I can say, though it is very thick felt (almost 1/8") and stiff, the finish is much, much softer than my other wools, comparing it to both the stiff western weight ones, and the thinner wool fedora.
I'm led to believe that this company still exists and makes both fur and wool hats. Is anyone familiar with the company?

030copy.jpg

031copy.jpg

0282copy.jpg

Do we have an Amish hat thread? It's something that has piqued my interest as of late.
I fished this one up a few weeks ago and am kind of entranced by the black felt paired with the charcoal-ish trim. It's made by Flying Cloud Hats of Lancaster County, PA.
Nothing specifying the material, but I can say, though it is very thick felt (almost 1/8") and stiff, the finish is much, much softer than my other wools, comparing it to both the stiff western weight ones, and the thinner wool fedora.
I'm led to believe that this company still exists and makes both fur and wool hats. Is anyone familiar with the company?

030copy.jpg

031copy.jpg

0282copy.jpg

It does indeed. You can get one like that at this online store.
http://www.amishcraft.com/cgi-local/list.cgi?id=117&si= The hat is extremely stiff, though.

I agree with the others, Lefty that hat looks excellent on you.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I love it Sam ".... Sort of a Noir Indy thing...." :)

Tomorrow will be one of those days.

Today was a "brown" day, so tomorrow is a gray or blue day and it's going to be cold in Kansas, which means the Schott will get some wear and that black Squatter just cries to go along.

What are you going to do? I hate to see a grown hat cry!

Sentimental Sam

I have quite a few black hats... love them and find them easy to wear. Here are a few favorites, 1930s era.
Each of these hats came to me from FL members.

Barbisio homburg

57_2.jpg

Stetson The Motor

motor_012111.jpg

Stetson No.1 Quality western

dads_dec2010.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have quite a few black hats... love them and find them easy to wear. Here are a few favorites, 1930s era.

Barbisio homburg

57_2.jpg

Stetson The Motor

motor_012111.jpg

Stetson No.1 Quality western

dads_dec2010.jpg

Alan, those are some very nice hats. I really like the Stetson Motor.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars

Barbisio homburg

57_2.jpg

That is a fantastic hat. Exactly what I'd look for in a homburg, and I would imagine it looks great paired with almost any suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld