Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Oh I think a little outing to the Absinthe Bar sounds like a ripping idea, I'm thinking Tuesday 23rd February, I have been in contact with Mr cookie, however, he is having an operation on his knee, anyway that is what he says, if he pops up in a few weeks looking 20 years younger I will be "Livid":p

"Lolly's link to the Civic looked good $15.00 Luncheon in the velvet draped Saloon"

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Mojito said:
I was going to recommend the Absinthe Bar, as well, as I've been wanting to try it myself. Let me know when you're in town if you'd like to meet up and go see how the Green Fairy fares down under! I'll be in Napier next weekend, though. Lolly, would you be up for a trip into town?

That would be delightful, I never say no to a little drinkie!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Look at what I just bought!
349687510_tp.jpg
349687564_tp.jpg

You do see the jars on ebay every now & then, but not very often with the lid.

Oh, BTW I did meet up with Binkie & it was a lovely day. He took lots of photos. Unfortunately he is having computer problems, but I'm sure he'll post the pics when he is online.

Talbot

One Too Many
Had a pleasant surprise..

..on the way in to work this morning. Radio National was playing 'The Goon Show'.

Okay, it was 5:30am, but I remember it fondly as a child. Fantastic stuff!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Binkies Boring Slide Evening"

" I submitted a petite portfolio of photographs of my recent sojourn to Sydney and Canberra with pictures of Lolly and my self tootling around Kattoomba, and Springwood, in the FL's "Steamer trunk" however, I also found time to wander around the City and Kings Cross, Darlinghurst and Potts Point

4485553181_6f3f4d763e_b.jpg

"A stunning statue of "Dianna the Huntress" with her two Hounds, in Hyde Park, Sydney

4486196738_037267e1c7_b.jpg

"Majestically overlooking Hyde park, since 1925 "The Astor" an ever so posh apartment building

4486169468_c6e3bf12e9_b.jpg

"The Art Deco styled A N Z A C War Memorial"

4486162860_ddc0f22340_b.jpg

"View of the Boulevard from The steps of the memorialG]

4486180202_e57fa32b03_b.jpg

"The Charming Botanical Gardens, with the famous "Coat Hanger" peeping over the tree line"

4485595493_afbb605256_b.jpg

"Must say I was impressed with the amount of "Substantially sized" public art in the gardens"

4486175012_3ed3719c87_b.jpg

"Screaming Art Deco, the wonderfully restored, METRO Cinema, sad to say it is now a recording studio, but happily an improvement to when I last say it in 1994, with peeling strawberry pink paint!, it sits in a wonderful art deco precinct ( Oh to sip a flute of Champagne on that balcony)"

4486189924_8507c2af42_b.jpg

"Presiding since the late 1930's, over McLeay Street in Bohemian "Potts Point" the fabulous McLeay Regis" apartment building"

4485549737_e4ec7709a1_b.jpg

"I'm not sure, but I think this building around the corner from M.R is called Portsea? Oh the views there must be from those two penthouses!!!

4486233148_96166bcced_b.jpg

"Mont Clair" my favourite building in Sydney with views to the Harbour, does it remind one of Poirot's flat in Whitehaven Mansions?"

"And it has its own website!!!!!"
http://www.montclair.com.au/

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Nice snaps Binkie, and some lovely Deco architecture you've caught there.

Just as an aside, has anyone heard from Splatt? He was knocking around here a year or so ago but I haven't seen him post in awhile.

And also on another tangent, I thought it might be nice to organise a Melbourne get together sometime. Maybe when the weather cools off a bit more and we can get the glad rags out.

Anyone keen on that?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Ok, well that's 3 of us for starters!

Maybe high tea at the Windsor? That could be a bit of fun.

I really don't mind though, so if that's too formal, I'm fine with a few pots at one of the city's watering holes.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's cheap Binkie but it's in Ohai, a one horse town 3/4 hour's drive from Invercargill.

There's still a fair few deco places in NZ, obviously a lot in Napier and the Hawkes Bay, but you see quite a number in the bigger cities like Auckland and Wellington.

I'll agree though it's cheap. Bloody cold winters down that way though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe