Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

Selvaggio

One of the Regulars
or even one of these..

2cv_m_m.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
tuppence said:
I'm thinking of buying a Morris Minor because I can't afford a f.j Holden. Is this cool or not? I'm just not quite sure!
What is the coolest (affordable) car available in Australia.
Your advice appreciated

Hate to be pernickety, but what's the budget?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Morrie Minors are cute little cars but pretty asthmatic when you put them in modern traffic. It'd be alright to bumble around town in but not for a long distance journey.

If you are after a classic it really depends on what your budget is and what you want your classic for - daily driver, just weekend use, just for around town or for longer jaunts.

Personally if you are after a small classic car, then I'd suggest a Mini over a Minor. Still plenty of parts around, very simple to work on A-series engine, easy to tune it up to get a bit more oomph to make it easier to live with in modern traffic, fun little cars to drive with almost go-kart handling.

If you want something bigger there's lots of options, still lots of lovely Fords and Holdens to be found. If you want British, there's always Triumph 2500s, Rover V8s, etc.

As I said, it really depends on what you want the car for, and how much you're willing to fork out. Also remember that classics need more maintenance and more regular servicing than a modern vehicle so just keep that in mind as well.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Smithy said:
... Also remember that classics need more maintenance and more regular servicing than a modern vehicle so just keep that in mind as well.

The issue that ended my wife and I going down the Morrie path. We saw allot of really lovely cars that we were very much in love with.. however each seller would end with a long list of 'things to keep an eye on' or even worse 'things that will need replacing soon'. Being of the Wooster school of mechanics we opted for a natty little Honda Jazz - utterly lacks the class but is big on the reliability and head space for a hat wearer!

Talbot

One Too Many
Subaru rotary engine into a Morrie is a pretty popular swap. Having said that, getting it done is another matter if you are not mechanically inclined.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Talbot said:
Subaru rotary engine into a Morrie is a pretty popular swap. Having said that, getting it done is another matter if you are not mechanically inclined.

That'd make a big difference but you'd definitely have to upgrade the brakes and suspension. Could be pricey for those not in the know plus the purists would have a fit ;)

Talbot

One Too Many
A friend of mine has a morrie convertible (drop head coupe?) for his wife with a rotary and a 5 speed gearbox. She loves it.

You're correct though, all the brakes and suspension had to be beefed up. Took him a while.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
James Morrison Orchestra & friends

Last night in Brisbane I saw James Morrison and Orchestra along with Doug Parkinson, Monica Trapaga and ably supported by vocal trio Tiara.

As a veteran concert goer I gotta say this is one of the best concerts I've been to in years. Treat yourself and go when it reaches your town.

654159_thumbnail_280_James_Morrison_The_James_Morrison_Orchestra.v2.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
RhythmSpectacular_A4.JPG

"Last Night saw me heading to Olde Fremantle Town, to Visit the Fly By Night Club, The Rhythm Spectacular was entertaining and interactive live Las Vegas style concert show featuring six-piece band Adam Hall and the Velvet Playboys with Sugar Blue Burlesque, dancers from Swing It! and Dual Grammy Award Winner Lucky Oceans with the Charlie Brown Big Brass Band."

"A Giant Martini glass on stage was Adorned with gorgeous dancers from Sugar Blue in their legendary stunning costumes of sequin, satin, lace and feathers. "

"Audiences were be treated to a concert and cabaret performances that paid respect to the now-legendary Las Vegas cabaret floorshow format of the 1950s-60s including music from Frank Sinatra, Louis Prima, Count Basie and Ray Charles, combined with incredible choreography and retro costumes."

"Many Dressed up for the Occasion and I came second in "Best dressed" .competition the prize was stolen from me by A Flapper in a Boa" It was a sell out show, but for Folk who missed out it is going to be repeated at the "Regal Theatre" very soon!

WASUBI.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Here in SRC the anti-discrimination rules are frightfully strict so the competition had to be Unisexual. A photographer from "Express Magazine" took heaps of pthogravures so hopefully, I can post scans of the event, which will also give me a chance to get out my Scarpbook and pot of glue, I haven't used it in days"

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sydney Cocktail Bar

"I Shall be spending a few days in Sydney shortly, can anyone recommend a Louche little Cocktail Bar, preferably with low lights and trick mirrors, I had a look on the internet machine, and came across "Charlie Chans" but the interior pictures did not live up to the name, I was hoping for a "30's Opium Den" theme, I was bitterly disappointed, all plastic and big primary coloured cushions!"

"I will by staying in George Street, near Paddy's market, so something nearby would be perfect, any recommendations?"

3760216153_12998e4903_o.jpg

lolly_loisides

One Too Many

Mojito

One Too Many
I was going to recommend the Absinthe Bar, as well, as I've been wanting to try it myself. Let me know when you're in town if you'd like to meet up and go see how the Green Fairy fares down under! I'll be in Napier next weekend, though. Lolly, would you be up for a trip into town?

The Victoria Tea Rooms in Darlinghurst are quite nice - more High Tea Raj with Champagne rather than Louche opium den, alas. Passable cocktails, though.

It's a dashed pity there's such a dearth of decadent opium dens these days in Sydney. Where's a girl to go in her red chinese embroidered pjs with a flash bandeau and a long cigarette holder?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe