Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Annoying Phrase" Thread

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
The word is issues applied like this : I have issues. I have issues with this......I have issues with that........ (go jump into the lake.:rage: lol)

...and if you have issues and you do not deal with them you will be told to go jump in the lake....:p :p :p

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Overrefinement

jamespowers said:
Lately I hear morons say "an historic moment." It’s a historic moment. There is no need to be overindulgent when using an. You don't say an history book. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

It's used by those who are given to swooning.

There is such a thing, in writing and in other fields, as overrefinement. Usually it produces slight absurdity and sometimes outright crudity, as in the pose of the social climber who raises her teacup with her little finger stuck daintily out in the air.​

From The Careful Writer by Theodore M. Bernstein, p. 322.

Carlisle Blues

jamespowers said:
Lately I hear morons say "an historic moment." It’s a historic moment. There is no need to be overindulgent when using an. You don't say an history book. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

I agree. It also depends on context and settings. I have only seen that in an academic setting and when used by newscasters when referring to something the US president (whomever it may be at the time) is doing. [huh] [huh]

I have used it outside the academic setting and I did feel like a moron...;)

Carlisle Blues said:
I agree. It also depends on context and settings. I have only seen that in an academic setting and when used by newscasters when referring to something the US president (whomever it may be at the time) is doing. [huh] [huh]

I have used it outside the academic setting and I did feel like a moron...;)

In an Academic setting?! They should know better! :eusa_doh:
Let me guess---they pronounce cache as if it were spelled cachet as well. :rolleyes:

Carlisle Blues

jamespowers said:
In an Academic setting?! They should know better! :eusa_doh:
Let me guess---they pronounce cache as if it were spelled cachet as well. :rolleyes:

I am just some guy trying to make it through the day.....:) I am a guy from The Bronx we have our own language.....lol

I am still trying to get over *SWOON*....:p :p :p :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Watching Fox 11 this morning, one of their casters mentioned George W. meeting for a debate with Bill Clinton... One of them said that "Papa Bush" is friends with Bill... I just rolled my eyes... What happened to George Senior? It's just now Papa Bush? Sounds like a rap artist... :rolleyes:

Not the biggest fan of the Bush family but, you'd expect these people to be a little more professional then "Papa Bush".

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Let's see Swoon rhymes with baboon and you wouldn't swoon over a baboon so stop saying it! ;) :p

Awh, lay off poor *swoon*. It's just a word trying to make it in the rat-race we call the English language. Just another word trying to get through it's day, doing its best, minding its own business...

:p

Papa Bush? That's so annoying, it should gain honourary access to this thread.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
and getting ready to jump in the lake. ;) :p lol

And what has brought poor *swoon* to these depths? What forced him into this lowly state, this pit of self-destruction, this tunnel with no light?

That's right, the finger is pointing at you...

;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
"Papa Bush" makes me think of "Papa Titus" (right):

titus.jpg

"Bush the Elder" sounds better.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Try to imagine Walter Cronkite or Eric Severeid or Chet Huntley or others of that generation saying "Papa Bush" into a microphone, and you'll see just how far we've come as a culture.

The mind doesn't just boggle, it rolls over on its back and has a spasm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe