Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Jack, you really do live as most of us only dream, my friend.

TheCapture.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Can you blame them for biting people that mess with them?!

Great stuff. Not sure if blame is the right word - but yes, something like it!

I'm still impressed that this forum has someone on it with an actual working epithet.

I was going to mention my brush with a big old grass snake late last summer, walking along the River Lark just past Barton Mills in Suffolk. But I think I'll just let it go...

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Nick Charles said:
couldn't find anything bigger Jack?;)
I asked Kalinn who you were and she said Indiana Jones.
This was all they had in stock! We tend to only get the sidewinders on Mainside, though we do get some speckled rattlesnakes close in, but they prefer the rockier areas. Most of the Mainside area is sandy, so the sidewinders are right at home.

scotrace said:
Jack, you really do live as most of us only dream, my friend.
Oh, if only you saw the hours I spend at my desk! lol But thanks, just the same! Not very exciting there, I'm afraid! The snake calls are fun, and really give me an adrenaline rush. Normally the biologists handle those, but there was only one bio in at the time, and he had to go do a brief. I'm the backup snake guy.

Alan, I really like the looks of that Roadster. That is the sort of thng I envision, as a nice blend of modern features with classic looks. I've been moving more towards the concept that John in Covina and Woodfluter are endorsing. Things like first aid kits and the like are easy to do, and then adding bundled items for other tasks and needs is a good way to go. The vest I just ordered from Cabela's is another try at a solution, too. The stuff I use constantly, like GPS, field notebook, pencils, compass, etc., can go in those pockets, then I only need to get into my pack for the less used items, and stuff I only use when stationary, like the camera, pin flags, tape measure and steel tape, line level and mason's line, etc.

I've been trying to find a decent pic of the rucksack that Michael Douglas carried in Romancing the Stone[/]. I particularly like the shotgun holster on the side! Anybody have tha movie that can get a screen shot of the pack?

Creeping Past, I've been looking at Schipperfabrik's stuff for a while. I especially like their French Mle 1935 sac superieur. It wouldn't be any more useful than other rucks that are one big pocket with a couple smaller pockets, but it sure looks good.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
FYI, in answer to Mike's call a couple pages back for gear in action, I started a thread in The Steamer Trunk as a companion to this thread (Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!). Until we get the dedicated Adventure Room that Mike and Tony have called for (hint, hint, MK!), we can post stories and gear reviews there. Hopefully that will give us an outlet to keep the pics and stories flowing, but let this thread stay more focused on the gear itself. I'm counting on you folks to keep that thread at the top of The Steamer Trunk at all times!

warbird

One Too Many
Somewhere a while back I seem to recall a thread about favorite adventure books, but I can't find it. Anybody else remember it?

I am heading to Africa soon, probably in the fall. I wanted to read a few things before I go. Outside of Hemingway that is, I have read all those a hundred times.

I haven't spent time in south Africa the country or the area in 20 years, so I will be getting some new gear before going too. I would like to go to Zimbabwe, where my grandmother lived for 30 years, but I don't think it's safe. Maybe someday I can go back there again.

Memnon

New in Town
Glad to be here, Jack. That's a beautiful area where you're at.

warbird- if you're into thrilling safari yarns, then you must read Death in the Long Grass by Peter Hathaway Capstick. It's available at most bookstores, in the hunting/firearms section. It'll send shivers down your spine, especially since the stories are real.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
warbird said:
Somewhere a while back I seem to recall a thread about favorite adventure books, but I can't find it. Anybody else remember it?

I am heading to Africa soon, probably in the fall. I wanted to read a few things before I go. Outside of Hemingway that is, I have read all those a hundred times.

I haven't spent time in south Africa the country or the area in 20 years, so I will be getting some new gear before going too. I would like to go to Zimbabwe, where my grandmother lived for 30 years, but I don't think it's safe. Maybe someday I can go back there again.

Wilbur Smith's "Ballantyne Saga". 4 books.

Novels of the history of Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

Adventure, politics, beautiful women in a savage land...

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Love this thread. :)

I found a book called "Outdoor Life Cyclopedia" at a used book sale, printing date 1945, published by Outdoor Life. There's plenty of information on fishing, shooting, hunting, dog training, camping, tips on pack train expeditions (!), building a log cabin, and...camping clothing. I thought you guys might find this excerpt interesting:

"WHAT TO WEAR IN CAMP

Campers are sometimes advised to wear an old business suit on their outings on the theory that it's broken in and comfortable. Trouble is, too often such a suit is broken-down and ready to let go in a dozen spots, and you won't have much fun in the woods with your knees coming through the legs of your trousers - or the seat in a too-obvious state of disrepair. Remember, you put a good deal more stress and strain on your clothing when you're out camping,and a business suit usually isn't up to the job.

Few campers fall for the business-suit advice more than once. Next time they go on a trip they wear garments made especially for outdoor service. There are so many styles available, many at very modest prices, that no one need go camping without clothing designed to meet every emergency."

Should anyone be interested in what they recommended, I can scan the pages later, once I hit 15 posts and can post pictures. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
Love this thread. :)

I found a book called "Outdoor Life Cyclopedia" at a used book sale, printing date 1945, published by Outdoor Life. There's plenty of information on fishing, shooting, hunting, dog training, camping, tips on pack train expeditions (!), building a log cabin, and...camping clothing. I thought you guys might find this excerpt interesting:

"WHAT TO WEAR IN CAMP

Campers are sometimes advised to wear an old business suit on their outings on the theory that it's broken in and comfortable. Trouble is, too often such a suit is broken-down and ready to let go in a dozen spots, and you won't have much fun in the woods with your knees coming through the legs of your trousers - or the seat in a too-obvious state of disrepair. Remember, you put a good deal more stress and strain on your clothing when you're out camping,and a business suit usually isn't up to the job.

Few campers fall for the business-suit advice more than once. Next time they go on a trip they wear garments made especially for outdoor service. There are so many styles available, many at very modest prices, that no one need go camping without clothing designed to meet every emergency."

Should anyone be interested in what they recommended, I can scan the pages later, once I hit 15 posts and can post pictures. :)

lol What a hoot!

Welcome, ShoreRoadLady! And what a great first post in the thread! You'll have to keep that book handy and let us know what it says on all our topics. I love those woodcraft type books.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've never actually had their stuff in hand, but it looks decent. They also offer tall sizes (at least on a couple items), which is a real plus for me.

Sounds like we need to someone to do a review!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Digging up a past series of posts...

Jambo bwanas!!

Way back when, we discussed the Orvis navy seal boot. I wanted to revive this discussion in order to post an updated review and a useful modification.
76E2L5SB_lg.jpg

I purchased a pair of these canvas boots a few months ago and they have since been my daily work boots. Now those of you who know me personally know that my job puts some serious demands on clothing and gear. My boots are routinely subjected to everything encountered in habitats ranging from wet & swampy to dry & near-desert like. My footwear must remain cool, be abrasion/cut resistant, dry quickly, not fall apart or shrink terribly after getting wet, and most importantly - be comfortable. Well, so far the canvas Orvis boots fit the bill.

Here's a few things others should know about prior to ordering. The latest version of the navy seal boot offered by Orvis is made by Palladium. Quality is high. The rubber outsoles flex substantially and give you a good feel for the ground, but are made with good-quality rubber that doesn't get chewed up by rough terrain (the deep heel treads do tend to pick up small rocks however). **One thing everyone should be aware of - these boots run small.** You need to order a size larger than you normally wear. This is especially important if there's a chance you'll get the boots wet. Although they don't shrink excessively, the are made of cotton canvas so they will shrink some. I recommend wearing these boots with light to medium weight socks. Insoles can be removed and replaced if wanted. An extra set of laces (probably will never be needed) is included with your purchase. Unlike most footwear, these boots do not have any built-in structural support; the canvas is soft all over. The rubber outsole does extend over the toe area to offer bump protection; however, the heel is a different story. After just several days of wear, I noticed the heels beginning to collapse. Since there is no real heel counter to offer support, the softness of the canvas allows the heel to bend and crease. This can create enough of a crease on the inside of the boot to potentially make a hot spot or blister (for me it was mostly just an annoyance). **Allow me to suggest one minor modification.** If you would like some extra heel support, get yourself a couple of tubes of super glue (the liquid type, not the gel). Prior to wear, open up the laces and pull back the tongue so you can access the boot interior. Apply a thin film of super glue to the inside heel area (you may need to smear it around a bit) and make sure it soaks in and wets the canvas. Let the glue harden. Once completely dry and cured, you will have a nice hard/structured heel to your boots that will not be affected by water. You might want to lightly sand the glue area if it feels somewhat rough. I hope this review is helpful to everyone!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
LordJohnRoxton said:
Has anyone here seen the American Mountain Ski Boots put out by What Price Glory? I'm wondering if they are any good.

I've asked about these as I'm thinking about getting a pair and nailing them up properly. Jerry replied quite swiftly saying the leather was the same thickness as the originals.

There's a pair of what look to be late-model lug sole mountain boots up for grabs on the US 'bay. Search for "HIKING BOOTS VINTAGE".

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Jambo bwanas!!

Way back when, we discussed the Orvis navy seal boot. I wanted to revive this discussion in order to post an updated review and a useful modification.

I purchased a pair of these canvas boots a few months ago and they have since been my daily work boots. Now those of you who know me personally know that my job puts some serious demands on clothing and gear. My boots are routinely subjected to everything encountered in habitats ranging from wet & swampy to dry & near-desert like. My footwear must remain cool, be abrasion/cut resistant, dry quickly, not fall apart or shrink terribly after getting wet, and most importantly - be comfortable. Well, so far the canvas Orvis boots fit the bill.

Here's a few things others should know about prior to ordering. The latest version of the navy seal boot offered by Orvis is made by Palladium. Quality is high. The rubber outsoles flex substantially and give you a good feel for the ground, but are made with good-quality rubber that doesn't get chewed up by rough terrain (the deep heel treads do tend to pick up small rocks however). **One thing everyone should be aware of - these boots run small.** You need to order a size larger than you normally wear. This is especially important if there's a chance you'll get the boots wet. Although they don't shrink excessively, the are made of cotton canvas so they will shrink some. I recommend wearing these boots with light to medium weight socks. Insoles can be removed and replaced if wanted. An extra set of laces (probably will never be needed) is included with your purchase. Unlike most footwear, these boots do not have any built-in structural support; the canvas is soft all over. The rubber outsole does extend over the toe area to offer bump protection; however, the heel is a different story. After just several days of wear, I noticed the heels beginning to collapse. Since there is no real heel counter to offer support, the softness of the canvas allows the heel to bend and crease. This can create enough of a crease on the inside of the boot to potentially make a hot spot or blister (for me it was mostly just an annoyance). **Allow me to suggest one minor modification.** If you would like some extra heel support, get yourself a couple of tubes of super glue (the liquid type, not the gel). Prior to wear, open up the laces and pull back the tongue so you can access the boot interior. Apply a thin film of super glue to the inside heel area (you may need to smear it around a bit) and make sure it soaks in and wets the canvas. Let the glue harden. Once completely dry and cured, you will have a nice hard/structured heel to your boots that will not be affected by water. You might want to lightly sand the glue area if it feels somewhat rough. I hope this review is helpful to everyone!
Funny you should post this today, Mike. I was just about to PM you and ask how they were working out. I suspect the pair that I had that started to come apart was just a bad batch or something, and I've been considering these again. The pair I originally had started to lose chunks from the sole within a week or two, and the sole started separately from the canvas along the upper edges. I assume form your post that you haven't had either of those things happen?

The Scorpions are not really working out. They aren't breaking in, and at the end of the day I'm glad to get them off. [huh] For $40 I guess it was worth the gamble, but I still need a nice light, chukka height boot for summer. My old pair gave out exactly where you mention, at the heel, though I still use them for painting and things.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
The pair I originally had started to lose chunks from the sole within a week or two, and the sole started separately from the canvas along the upper edges. I assume form your post that you haven't had either of those things happen?
The sole on mine seems quite solid. The rubber isn't nearly as hard as that on my old hiking boots or my wildland firefighting boots, but it also isn't as soft as on my sneakers. I've been trampling around in some really awful $%#! and had to put the Orvis boots through the laundry machine twice (just don't put 'em in the dyer...use a fan instead). I figure if that doesn't cause the sole to separate, nothing will.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
well guys the scorpion boots are on sale at sportsmans guide for $25. get em while you can. they have the 2 buckle collar wich Jack has removed from his, they look good both ways.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mike K. said:
Jambo bwanas!!

76E2L5SB_lg.jpg

I got a pair too. I haven't had much chance to wear them yet, but so far I like them fine. Only problem is... they don't come with adventure, one apparently has to supply one's own, and gardening... trimming out a window, knocking in baseboards, chasing a three year old all over the gaff... not exactly adventure.

Still. Nice boots. But I've always been happy with whatever I get from Orvis - or returned it and still been happy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe