Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
drjones said:
So the informed shopper should buy big and expect shrinkage?

DRJONES
Yes! Quite a bit, too! I ruined a pair of WPG khakis because I forgot they were in a load of wash. I remembered and pulled them out long before they were dry, but it was too late. WWII Impressions will warn you of that on his site, too, but it's hard to determine how much to allow, unfortunately. That's one reason I never wear that stuff in the field.

Mike, your idea on photos is quite right, too. Just this weekend I spent the day out in the desert with a Chemehuevi friend of mine, and he took me to some amazing sites, near Hole-In-The-Wall in the Mojave National Preserve. I have a couple photos of him, but none of myself. I'll say this, though, this Riverina is by far the most comfortable, perfectly fitting hat I've ever had. What a great hat!

We were near here for part for the day:

HoleInTheWall.jpg

Here's the general character of the country:

Mesa.jpg

And this is why we were out there:

RockArt.jpg

We visited a number of sites, but most I can't show pictures of because they are sacred sites. I don't want to post any pics that give away their location. We've had problems with people like the DSRTGRLZ who have more time than sense, and will post all kinds of pics showing exactly where sites are. Looters and vandals love them; the rest of us? Not so much.

drjones

A-List Customer
perils of archaeology pics

Mojave Jack said:
Yes! Quite a bit, too! I ruined a pair of WPG khakis because I forgot they were in a load of wash. I remembered and pulled them out long before they were dry, but it was too late. WWII Impressions will warn you of that on his site, too, but it's hard to determine how much to allow, unfortunately. That's one reason I never wear that stuff in the field.

Mike, your idea on photos is quite right, too. Just this weekend I spent the day out in the desert with a Chemehuevi friend of mine, and he took me to some amazing sites, near Hole-In-The-Wall in the Mojave National Preserve. I have a couple photos of him, but none of myself. I'll say this, though, this Riverina is by far the most comfortable, perfectly fitting hat I've ever had. What a great hat!

We were near here for part for the day:

HoleInTheWall.jpg

Here's the general character of the country:

Mesa.jpg

And this is why we were out there:

RockArt.jpg

We visited a number of sites, but most I can't show pictures of because they are sacred sites. I don't want to post any pics that give away their location. We've had problems with people like the DSRTGRLZ who have more time than sense, and will post all kinds of pics showing exactly where sites are. Looters and vandals love them; the rest of us? Not so much.

ah! yes. I too understand that. I have pictures of sites I have worked that only myself and the archaeologists I worked with know about. I share them with precious few for the same logic. Its a shame really. People dont get it.

DRJONES

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Ah, the rucksack search! I've been on the hunt for years now, and still haven't found one I'm really satisfied with. I've had the LL Bean pack (twice) but there were too many things about it I didn't like. I had the Frost River Nessmuk pack, too, but it was worse. This is one piece of gear that I'm extremely picky (read that as anal...can I say that here?!) about, and just can't give up the moderns features, like load compression straps, water bottle pouches, etc, but still have that vintage feel. One thing I hate abotu most packs is that they're usually just one pocket, and all my field gear ends up in a jumble at the bttom. If you're lucky, a pack will have an organizer panel, but it's never enough. The other end of the specturm is like my military Bug Out Bag, which has pockets galore. Unfortunately the pack is so big that it's too much for field work.

One pack that I'm considering is the National Geographic World Explorer backpack.

http://www.pma-show.com/0258/bogenimaging/casebag/national_geographic_bag/

There's a range of sizes for both backpacks and shoulder bags. They're meant for cameras, but they may work for archeological field gear, too.

From what you describe it will be impossible to find a vintage rucksack that will meet your needs. Vintage packs just don't have all the extra features that modern packs have. My own preference is for simpler bags rather than lots of pockets and accessories, but I hike rather than use the bag to carry tools and the like and will not be digging inside frequently. Water bottle pouches can always be added to a hip belt.

I tend to favor something like this for a modern pack (CCS makes very well made gear).

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/rucksack.htm

Lately I tend to use 70's era stuff, similar to this pack (I don't have mine photographed, but this closed ebay auction is close).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-HINE-SN...ryZ87122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm a sucker for 70's era leather bottomed rucksacks, especially with wool felt shoulder straps.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Creeping Past said:
My first post. I thought I'd start by asking if anyone's walking, hiking, climbing or even around ambling gently outdoors using old kit or new old-style kit.

Over the past year I've been hiking in Alfred Sargent Selkirk boots with triple hobs (the strongest and best I can afford up to now), woollen trousers (good quality new 1907-pattern British army), wool gaiters and shetland wool, silk and cotton layers on the top half. I've been comfortable while walking around in the gear I've collected so far. I've not tested it in weather beyond brief showers. I'm saving up for a good strong cotton ventile outer layer before heading into a storm.

A lot depends on what you are doing and the climate you are in. I live in the upper midwest and my needs would be different if I were in Southern California or Florida or the Pacific Northwest. I hike, backpack, canoe and bicycle tour in the summer and cross country ski and snowshoe in the winter. For my needs cotton is worthless, with the exception of a cotton wind layer in the cold, dry winter months. Cotton will soak up water and take forever to dry. That leaves wool, synthetics or silk for fiber choices.

When backpacking and bicycle touring, weight and space are a primary concern and I use merino wool base layers and synthetic insulating layers. When canoeing or winter camping weight and space are not such a concern and in these applications I use mostly wool clothing. Most of my wool outer clothing likely dates to the 1970's although the styles haven't changed much over the years. A Woolrich Alaskan shirt, for example, is mostly the same today as it was 40-50 years ago. I don't have any vintage items or specifically reproduction items so I don't know how these will hold up under use.

If you out for day trips weight is not such a concern and vintage pieces would likely work quite well.

Mojave Jack said:
Ah, the rucksack search! I've been on the hunt for years now, and still haven't found one I'm really satisfied with. I've had the LL Bean pack (twice) but there were too many things about it I didn't like. I had the Frost River Nessmuk pack, too, but it was worse. This is one piece of gear that I'm extremely picky (read that as anal...can I say that here?!) about, and just can't give up the moderns features, like load compression straps, water bottle pouches, etc, but still have that vintage feel. One thing I hate abotu most packs is that they're usually just one pocket, and all my field gear ends up in a jumble at the bttom. If you're lucky, a pack will have an organizer panel, but it's never enough. The other end of the specturm is like my military Bug Out Bag, which has pockets galore. Unfortunately the pack is so big that it's too much for field work.
One thing to do is to make an organizer or two that slips into a vintage style ruck, maybe like a version of those tool roll ups for the stuff your are bringing. Group together the items by job and then make a lightweight roll up for the group. You might be able to add your own compression straps too.

John

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These might fit the bill

wegner1.jpg

One of these might fit the bill, from the Swiss Army Knife people, Wegner, I think. And at 25 clams each (sportsmans guide dot com) not too pricey either. Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh? [huh]

wegner2.jpg

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not necessarily vintage looking, but of high quality and made in the US are Red Oxx bags. I don't have any of their rucksacks/backpacks, but I do own some other pieces and I highly recommend them. True adventure gear.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
drjones said:
ah! yes. I too understand that. I have pictures of sites I have worked that only myself and the archaeologists I worked with know about. I share them with precious few for the same logic. Its a shame really. People dont get it.

DRJONES
It really is a shame. I am a firm believer in education as a solution to most problems, but in the case of looters all you do is teach them to loot better. We had a job once where some of the part-time crew were caught looting the site on the weekend! I'm one the fence whether or not the net impact of education is a more informed public that takes ownership of resources or just educating the bad guys.

Nobyspecial, I'm thinking you are right, and I'm trying to take John in Covina's approach to a degree. I have tool rolls for things like dental picks and brushes, and have my eye on a couple packs that are almost there and that I can bring up to snuff by adding stuff like compression straps. I have a local shop that does excellent canvas and leather work, so that's another angle I'm working.

Rick, I've seen those Wenger packs, but they look like they've updated them a bit since I last looked at them. Where did you find those versions? They might make a good starting point!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The bay is bare...

BellyTank said:
Some alternative choices and combinations for Hiking and Climbing in Vintage Style,
in colder climes...
German, Gebirgsjæger(Mountain Troop) Windjacke(Windjacket)...

An inspiring collection!

Is the Gebirgsjæger Windjacke - original no doubt - waterproof cotton poplin or canvas?

I'm slowly getting some hillwalking kit together and looking for a sturdy outer layer like this. Not possessing the nerve or patience for the 'bay, I note that LB offers one, but it looks a little harsh and forbidding, whereas the Lomax one seems a little less so. I'm even considering getting stung by Purdey for one of their ventile shooting coats -- http://www.purdey.com/product.php?id=39497&c=9 -- which is just the other side of fuddy duddy and is jaw-droppingly expensive, but strangely appealing.

Thanks for the detail.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
If you are hauling tools and the like, I would buy something beefier than a Wenger backpack. A Wenger would be fine for normal use, but it sounds like you are going to be a bit harder on your pack and I'd go with a better built product.

This is a brand you've likely never heard of before, but they make unbelievably well made gear. They may well have something that would suit you.

http://battlelakeoutdoors.com/shop/catalog/index.php

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
It really is a shame. I am a firm believer in education as a solution to most problems, but in the case of looters all you do is teach them to loot better. We had a job once where some of the part-time crew were caught looting the site on the weekend! I'm one the fence whether or not the net impact of education is a more informed public that takes ownership of resources or just educating the bad guys.

Jack, I agree. It is a dilemma. I've been to Nine Mile Canyon several times on my periodic trips to Utah. Those sites are fairly well known and documented, although (thankfully) without specifics that would lead vandals to particular rock art sites, and yet some vandalism has occurred. It is completely impractical to protect them. I think the only thing protecting them to any degree is the difficulty of access (in the case at hand, a very long dirt road). Still, I've come to believe some things are best known by word of mouth only, among the trusted few. It is sad. It reminds me of my college caving days...we knew of a few spectacular ones via oral transmission, and reverently respected and guarded those. Then word got around, stuff got published, other types collected "souvenir" rock formations that had taken thousands of years to form, and access was denied.

But on the topic of gear, I second the thought about keeping smaller items in containers such as Eagle Creek quarter cubes, BDU pocket organizers etc and stuff sacks for larger things. I've drifted that way over the years. Makes it easier to switch from one pack to another, and quickly take the *groups* of items you need for a particular task, etc. Makes the number of pockets and compartments much less of an issue.

- Bill

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Woodfluter said:
Jack, I agree. It is a dilemma. I've been to Nine Mile Canyon several times on my periodic trips to Utah. Those sites are fairly well known and documented, although (thankfully) without specifics that would lead vandals to particular rock art sites, and yet some vandalism has occurred. It is completely impractical to protect them. I think the only thing protecting them to any degree is the difficulty of access (in the case at hand, a very long dirt road). Still, I've come to believe some things are best known by word of mouth only, among the trusted few. It is sad. It reminds me of my college caving days...we knew of a few spectacular ones via oral transmission, and reverently respected and guarded those. Then word got around, stuff got published, other types collected "souvenir" rock formations that had taken thousands of years to form, and access was denied.

But on the topic of gear, I second the thought about keeping smaller items in containers such as Eagle Creek quarter cubes, BDU pocket organizers etc and stuff sacks for larger things. I've drifted that way over the years. Makes it easier to switch from one pack to another, and quickly take the *groups* of items you need for a particular task, etc. Makes the number of pockets and compartments much less of an issue.

- Bill
Bil, you've been to Nine Mile?! Excellent! I've been dying to go there, and have been talking to the lead archeologist about their work there. They've been doing some amazing work there, including right up my research alley. I' incorporating a lot of their findings into my dissertation. Just goes to show what an old farmer with a shotgun can do towards site protection!

TM

A-List Customer
You know, this is the second most viewed thread in this forum. And it covers a lot of territory: boots, clothes, packs, etc. What about making Adventure into its own forum and breaking this up into threads about boots, clothing, packs, etc. ? And the gun threads could be placed here too.

Tony

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, here's a photo sequence you'll appreciate! In keeping with your request for gear in action, here a snake call from this afternoon.

The snake, a small sidewinder (about 16"):
Snake.jpg

He was curled up along a fence at one of our facilities, in an area where guys are on the ground a lot, under vehicles, around conex boxes, etc, so he had to go. When I walked up to where he was, I probably scared off about 30 or 40 desert iguanas, so there's not much doubt another snake will move int o fill the gap left by this guy!

The capture (how 'bout that Riverina, eh?!). I don't know why no one would come around to my side of the fence!
TheCapture.jpg

He was under some steam pipes, along the fence. When I pulled him out with the snake hook, I had to pull him across some hotter sand. Boy, he didn't like that, and let me know! He was striking all over the place, trying to get away. You should've seen the guys on the other side of the fence scatter when he starting striking!

Snake-In-A-Box:
SnakeInABox.jpg

One ticked off sidewinder, rattling for all he's worth, but safely in the box.

The release:
TheRelease.jpg

I found him a nice thick mesquite bush, filled with rodent holes. I'm pretty sure he'll eat good tonight!

Free!
Free.jpg

Back into his natural environment. We have to be careful releasing them, because some times they'll panic and head away from shade and onto hot sand. I was on a snake call about five years ago, and the biologist who did the capture released the snake (another sidewinder, about the same size) near some Tamarisk (an invasive species, also called salt cedar, and hell on the desert ecosystem). It panicked and went away from the tree across hot and, headed for another Tamarisk. It couldn't get up the small hill because it kept slipping on the Tamarisk needles, and it rolled over and died from overheating. Total time from the bio tipping the box until the snake died was about 15 seconds. People just don't realize how fragile these creatures can be. Can you blame them for biting people that mess with them?!

drjones

A-List Customer
snakes

living in arizona I have had my run ins with snakes. None fatal, Not even ever bitten once (thank goodness). I have a healthy respect for the creatures.

DRJONES

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
'39 dated German Gebirgsjäger (large)rucksack

Great find. Pristine original?

I've been using a Schipperfabrik German WW1 rucksack and breadbag quite a lot recently; they're useful for light loads and are holding up well. I expect the Gebirgs ruck balances nicely.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi.
The Rucksack isn't quite pristine but it looks to be virtually unused-
it has all the color and no wear or holes. The shoulder straps are 2 different qualities of leather though- you can probably see that one looks worn- it has just aged differently from the other. The bread bag is well used but solid.

Yes, Schipperfabrik make excellent gear- I'd had my eye on their canvas Tornister and the bread bag but it's a tough choice when good originals can be had for less than the repro. WPG have repro British Commando Bergen rucksacks, which are also tempting and another classic piece of kit. Originals in excellent condition are scarce now. I have quite a collection now, of vintage European civilian, Police, Wehrmacht, Luftwaffe and boy scout rucksacks- I really need to decide what to keep but as with all my junk, I find it difficult to let them go, after having rescued them.

I really don't like modern rucksacks at all and would rather wear leather straps, even if they are less comfortable.

Cheers,

B
T

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
it's a tough choice when good originals can be had for less than the repro

As a relative beginner in this field, I gave up on original rucks having checked Bergen prices, assuming wrongly that other originals would be similarly scarce and dear.

BellyTank said:
I really don't like modern rucksacks at all and would rather wear leather straps, even if they are less comfortable.

Yup, leather straps can be harsh. Generally, I've found that a canvas ruck over wool/silk/cotton layers is just as workable on most walking days as gortex over nylon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe