Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Mojave, I would have a hard time not putting stag buttons on. Or perhaps some horn buttons. Horn buttons (and possibly a buckle that could work for you) can be found here:

https://www.jas-townsend.com

Let me know if you would be interested in stag buttons. I don't have a link for them on hand, but I can surely dig one up.

Nice dog by the way. He's a cute little chap.

And per the Cramerton Twills... these pants are awesome. Not too dressy, but pretty much wearable everywhere. The shirt you wear with them really makes the outfit from casual to dressy-ish. I got my pair for $11 though...

LL Bean's Utility Pants are nice too. They are more jean-styled, but with heavier khaki fabric, just a little bit lighter than Carhartt material.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks for the feedback, fellas! It fits great, and was just what I was looking for.

Kodiak, that's a great suggestion on the buttons. I found these that look like pretty good options:

18507-4.jpg.fpx

I was also thinking coconut shell buttons, like on my Orvis bush jacket. Nick, I look forward to seeing what you have! This jacket needs buttons about 7/8" to 1" or so, I think. That's what's on it now, and they look to be pretty well proportioned.

Rooster

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
Whoa! Nice price, Alan! Alack and alas, my size is also sold out.

But I did recently pick up this little beauty:

KenyaSafariSHirt.jpg

It's awesome! Fits perfectly, and was custom made, in Kenya, by a tailor specifically for someone's safari. It's a thick twill that feels like it would turn cholla. Sometime in the recent past, however, someone has replaced the buttons and buckle with some cheap plastic crap. The buttons are molded to look like the leather-covered buttons on overcoats, and the buckle...well, the buckle I can't even describe the level of cheap this buckle represents!

I need to replace both, of course, but what sort of buttons would officers in the Med theater have had put on their tailor made bush shirts? Do you think this one looks close enough to pass as a pre-war theater-made uniform shirt? I think it could with the right buttons and buckle! I was thinking just some tan or brown four-hole buttons that look like Bakelite would do the trick, and the best buckle I can find, I suppose.

Thoughts?
Great bush jacket. The buttons need replaced, I think you've already have an idea what you need to replace them with. If you could find a bakelite buckle I think it would be ideal. I envy you having a waist.lol My bush jacket is what put me on a diet. I had envisioned mine fiting like yours does. Instead it looked like I had belted a watermelon under my jacket.:eusa_doh: Not the look I was looking for. I've droped 10 lbs and another 10 should have my waist re appearing again.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Rooster said:
I envy you having a waist.lol My bush jacket is what put me on a diet. I had envisioned mine fiting like yours does. Instead it looked like I had belted a watermelon under my jacket.:eusa_doh: Not the look I was looking for. I've droped 10 lbs and another 10 should have my waist re appearing again.

lol I resemble that remark. Though I felt more like a belted sausage. :)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Very good MJ.

What diameter buttons do you need?
Maybe the current ones are a tad larger than necessary..?

I would go for Bakelite/Bakelite-look and a proper, brass or gilt aluminium British military buckle from a proper BJ or SD.

Too cool for school and definitely vintage enough.

B
T

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mojave finds my lost Jacket

Mojave Jack said:
Whoa! Nice price, Alan! Alack and alas, my size is also sold out.

But I did recently pick up this little beauty:

KenyaSafariSHirt.jpg

It's awesome! Fits perfectly, and was custom made, in Kenya, by a tailor specifically for someone's safari. It's a thick twill that feels like it would turn cholla. Sometime in the recent past, however, someone has replaced the buttons and buckle with some cheap plastic crap. The buttons are molded to look like the leather-covered buttons on overcoats, and the buckle...well, the buckle I can't even describe the level of cheap this buckle represents!

I need to replace both, of course, but what sort of buttons would officers in the Med theater have had put on their tailor made bush shirts? Do you think this one looks close enough to pass as a pre-war theater-made uniform shirt? I think it could with the right buttons and buckle! I was thinking just some tan or brown four-hole buttons that look like Bakelite would do the trick, and the best buckle I can find, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Congrats on finding it mate - I knew it would turn up. Nice dog but where did you get an Aussie dog from?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Wow! Nice outfit Mojave. Love the dog too! Somebody already suggested horn buttons, but I like your idea of using coconut. It's really nice that you got a bit of history on the jacket; that always adds a bit of that extra "something." Not sure what to tell you on the buckle. If you find something in solid brass, just boil the buckle for about 10 minutes to remove the clear coat so it will tarnish faster and take on a better look. With all the safari clothing hitting the retail stores this summer, you might be able to find something really cheap for replacement parts.

So when is our next expedition?!

Katie - Electric blue may not be the best camouflage color but you'll certainly get no complaints from me!;)
Welcome to the lounge.

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
Buttons on the Jacket

Mojave-

I like the horn idea myself but here is another suggestion if you'd like... maybe try to find something that resembles Ivory Buttons... I mean you are suppost to be on Safari.

-JX

D

Dudleydoright

Not canvas tents

Hi Jovan,
Why not canvas ? It breathes much better than nylon. If you're not backpacking then weight is not an issue surely.

And as for taking ages to put up: I can put my old Itisa up in very close to the same time as i take to put up one of my nylon tents. Maybe you are thinking of the old frame type tents. And if they did take an age, wasn't that part of the fun of being on vacation ? Time is of no consequence. One of the highlights of our camping trips is putting up the tent together.

Have you used cotton tents before ??

Dave

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Brass buckle...

Perhaps a "surplus" brass buckle from an RAF uniform belt would work nicely? They pop up on everyone's favourite auction site every now and then. Nice jacket though...very smart looking.

Cheers,

---Scott

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Dudleydoright said:
And if they did take an age, wasn't that part of the fun of being on vacation ? Time is of no consequence. One of the highlights of our camping trips is putting up the tent together.

Hurry Hurry we have to get everything done so we can relax!

And for what its worth...it rains a fair bit in BSE too.....so if Dave camps in canvas there......

D...who used to live in Ipswich

Mike K.

One Too Many
Not to be outdone by Mojave...

Okay everybody, I finally got around to taking a few photographs. This was taken in my study, just before heading out to my next big adventure.
DSC_0013.jpg

In back is my L. L. Bean waxed-canvas rucksack loaded with a vintage mess kit & utensils, SVEA brass cooking stove & extra fuel, first aid kit, sewing/repair kit, Woolrich blanket, and provisions for a few days.

On top of the rucksack is my pith helmet and newly acquired safari jacket, made by Ralph Lauren. This safari jacket is, by far, the best I’ve seen aside from a Willis & Geiger. All pockets are bellows-type with the chest pockets having scalloped flaps and the lower pockets having straight flaps, just like in the majority of historic photos. What I really like is the absence of “handwarmer” pockets behind the lower cargo pockets. The fabric is a very sturdy cotton twill, much more substantial than the twill used on other jackets I’ve owned like the Beretta Kalahari safari jacket. This one will actually stand up to the rigors of use in the field. The waist belt is very nice. It is the free belt variety, not sewn at the back, with three loops to hold it in place. It sits nicely at the natural waist – not too low or too high. The original belt on the RL jacket has a leather-covered metal buckle and eyelets on the belt (similar to your average belt). The back has a very nicely stitched pleat for freedom of movement. The armholes are moderately high. Buttons are nothing special and will probably be replaced with horn sometime soon. The jacket in these photos is a dark khaki color. I also have another in a traditional khaki color.

On the back of my chair hangs an old 2-quart Boy Scout metal canteen in its original cover. This is the old style with the metal cap rather than a plastic one. Also suspended from the chair back is my possibles bag, actually a modified L. L. Bean canvas shoulder bag. In this bag I carry extra rounds of ammunition, maps, field guides, journal & pen, and some jerky or other snack.

I’m wearing my custom-made Akubra safari hat (a modified Akubra “Riverina”). Below that is a long-sleeve cotton shirt that I picked up at Target. Pants are Cabelas “Jeanos,” made of tightly woven cotton canvas – light and very durable. Yes, that is actual dirt on the pants (as an Audubon warden I really do wear this stuff). Attached to belt is a leather case that holds my brass compass. Boots (not quite visible) are 6 inch Chippewa work boots purchased from The Sportsman’s Guide. These have been re-colored to russet. Worn with the boots is a pair of WWI leather leggings acquired from everyone’s favorite auction site. At my feet is an old National Geographic map of “The Dark Continent” and in my hand is my trusty companion, a New England Firearms .30-30 caliber single shot rifle.
DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

I'm working on finishing up a Ph.D. dissertation, so perhaps I'll have more time later on to post photos of all the little stuff like first aid kit, stove, etc.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fantastic kit, Mike!

Cross posted from the 'Purchases' thread are these Orvis tweed pants with side cargo-style pockets:

orvistweedcargospt6.jpg

Paid $3 at the thrift store yesterday. I'm quite pleased with them, although my wife has given me a hard time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe