Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
German Colonial Cap-

This was a repro WW2 Luftwaffe "Herman Meyer" Tropical cap.
I mentioned earlier in this thread, that I was going to modify it.
Now I have-

Before:
DSCN3589-1.jpg

Now:
Early 20thC-1930s Colonial style.
Weathered and sporting a German National cockade and different chinstrap.
DSCN3646.jpg

DSCN3645.jpg

Part of my pre WW2 military surplus...

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
The British/Norgies that I've had, have been a kind of not-too-heavy, cotton sweashirting with very tightly looped,
unbrushed "terry" back/interior finish.
Not a woolly like the Norwegian Sweater, pictured above.
A different animal.

I thought the Norgie was the cotton job.

B
T

Yes, the Norge is just as you describe. The warmth-to-weight ratio is much better than any woollen garment I've tried. The point being that it dries more quickly. The British version has a button cuff (that can be used to hook your thumbs in) and a (usually Opti) neck zipper. The Norwegian has plain cuffs with thumb loops and a Velcro fastening on the neck. I was just extolling its virtues, not saying that it was the same as the woollen one.

Alan

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. The boots are WW2 garrison shoes and the jacket is a herringbone patch pocket sportcoat I found at macys about six years ago. I thought it had a very classic outdoorsy look.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Nice work on the German Colonial cap BT. I like the idea of tweaking WW2 surplus to give it that 1930's look. That cap would be perfect for a long hot California summer. :)

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Empire Canvas Works makes excellent canvas tents. They tend to be more specialized in that the tents are designed for winter trekking. That said, they would be a fine summer camping tent as well. The people at Empire are first rates folks, I've met them on several occasions.

D

Dudleydoright

1950's tent still going strong

Hi,
I'm one of those anoraks who likes to go camping with the gear of my youth. :eek: I've lived all over the world and backpacked all over the Canadian Rockies, Philippine highlands, French Alps, Maritime Alps, Bavaria, Austria, Appennines, Crete etc, etc. I've had all the Gucci, lightweight kit. Been there-done that. Now I tour europe with my 12 year old son visiting WW1 & WW2 battlefields and camping. As we now tour out of a car, i can afford the luxury of using a heavier tent and stove.
Here's the tent. She's a beauty !!

tent01.jpg

tent02.jpg

tent03.jpg

I also use old Bergans Original canvas rucksacks and SVEA and Primus camoing stoves. Yeah, I know, it's really, really sad ....... I'm only 43 !!:D

Cheers all

Dave

Teacher

Familiar Face
Warlock said:
Authenticity is desireable, but not being crispy.

That is one of the funniest things I've read in quite some time!

Anyway, I agree with many others: as one who has lugged around old canvass tents with metal poles, they are NOT a good option for real backpacking. If you'll be driving to the site, fine, but I'll never, ever heft one around again.

Teacher

Familiar Face
Vladimir Berkov said:
I guess it is all subjective. I find I sleep better outdoors without a tent at all, just wrapped up in my blanket and greatcoat. The only situations where I think a tent is really useful is in an area with constant rain, or one where the wind chill causes major problems otherwise.

I would say that an individual person camping/hiking needs a tent most though. The more people you have in a group, the easier it is. You can carry versatile tents like zeltbahns and all huddle together for warmth at night (this REALLY helps!).

But it also depends on where one is going camping. Where I usually go, we have rattlesnakes -- which aren't usually agressive but will strike at sudden movements -- and other nasty critters, many of which are noctournal. Then, too, are the bison: while they won't attack a sleeping person, they just might step on one (this actually damn near happened to my dad many years ago). A tent keeps them at bay. And the bears and mountain lions...well, there isn't much more to say about that!

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Dudleydoright said:
Hi,
I'm one of those anoraks who likes to go camping with the gear of my youth. :eek: I've lived all over the world and backpacked all over the Canadian Rockies, Philippine highlands, French Alps, Maritime Alps, Bavaria, Austria, Appennines, Crete etc, etc. I've had all the Gucci, lightweight kit. Been there-done that. Now I tour europe with my 12 year old son visiting WW1 & WW2 battlefields and camping. As we now tour out of a car, i can afford the luxury of using a heavier tent and stove.
Here's the tent. She's a beauty !!

tent01.jpg

tent02.jpg

tent03.jpg

I also use old Bergans Original canvas rucksacks and SVEA and Primus camoing stoves. Yeah, I know, it's really, really sad ....... I'm only 43 !!:D

Cheers all

Dave

Dave, what brand of tent do you have in the photos? I'm hunting for the right A frame style tent, but have not yet hit upon the right one, I'll know it when I see it. I love the red Trangia pans, but they are quite scarce on this side of the pond.

Alan

Jovan

Suspended
I have to agree with the others that say modern tents have come about for a reason, especially living in Florida. I can't fathom using a canvas one, or one that takes forever to set up.

Scotchgard will only go so far. I've camped out in heavy rain (it ALWAYS happens somehow) and still had a leak with a Scotchgard tent. My advice: Check the weather forecast!

D

Dudleydoright

Tent makers

Hi Alan,
That particular tent is called an ITISA Senior. You have the option to use either an external 'A' frame between the inner tent and flysheet or a single pole cane be used inside the tent. It has a seperate groundsheet and the lower walls can be rolled up. I often use just the inner tent in summer. With the walls rolled up it is a lovely cool tent. In really hot weather the flysheet keeps the heat off really well. Wetting the fly also makes the tent cool. A seperate ground sheet means that i can roll it back and cook inside.
The Tangia I've had since 1988. Used it all over Europe, Canadian Rockies etc, etc. The other stove is an MSR whisperlite. A great stove for all uses. I left teh Primus at home that trip as we were out with the Boy Scouts of America for our annual summer camp in the Col de Forclaz in Switzerland. There were enough snooty types working for the UN and WHO looking down their noses at my son and I as it was without turning up with a brass paraffin stove !! It was a good trip though.
Cheers,
Dave

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Hi Dave,

I'd love a classic tent such as yours, I thought it may have been a Blacks. I have a substantial collection of backpacking gear, mostly US brands but a couple of Karrimor rucksacks as well, that dates back to the 1970's. A few items are older, but the hay day in this country hit in the 1960's and 1970's. I sold a canvas Eureka drawtite tent to the owner of Tentsmiths a couple of years ago and there are days I regret having done so.

Taking away the portability issues (weight, size, etc...) I can't think of a reason to use a nylon tent versus a canvas tent. Lighter weight canvas makes a very comfortable tent. I've never had one leak in the rain and they breath much better than nylon.

Some day I'd like to take a trip with these folks, http://www.northwoodsways.com/ I have a couple of their books and listened to them at a seminar, they are certainly not the modern norm, but their trips look like fun.

Alan

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Whoa! Nice price, Alan! Alack and alas, my size is also sold out.

But I did recently pick up this little beauty:

KenyaSafariSHirt.jpg

It's awesome! Fits perfectly, and was custom made, in Kenya, by a tailor specifically for someone's safari. It's a thick twill that feels like it would turn cholla. Sometime in the recent past, however, someone has replaced the buttons and buckle with some cheap plastic crap. The buttons are molded to look like the leather-covered buttons on overcoats, and the buckle...well, the buckle I can't even describe the level of cheap this buckle represents!

I need to replace both, of course, but what sort of buttons would officers in the Med theater have had put on their tailor made bush shirts? Do you think this one looks close enough to pass as a pre-war theater-made uniform shirt? I think it could with the right buttons and buckle! I was thinking just some tan or brown four-hole buttons that look like Bakelite would do the trick, and the best buckle I can find, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe