Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Haversack

One Too Many
When I was in the US Army stationed in Germany in the early 1980s we refered to those British style wool "commando" sweaters with the fabric epaulets and elbow patches as wooly-pullies. We were not permitted to wear them with our uniforms as they were not issue. They were popular however, especially after BDUs were introduced. The woodland camoflage wooly-pully went particularly well under the BDU blouse and provied layered warmth when a field jacket was too much. Eventually, the Army, in its infinite wisdom, listened to the soldiers in the field and adopted an all-black wooly-pully as a piece of optional uniform, for the Class-A uniform, and not the for the field.

Haversack.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
One of my favorite pieces of kit is the Norwegian Army sweater I got during a Battle Griffin. Shawl neck and the sleeves had little thumbholes if you needed to roll the cuff down.

I can't find a picture online.

Came with a velcro closure on the neck, I should look into having it converted to button closure.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
This one?

Very warm but I found it uncomfortable and bulky and they're not very stylish at all.

1008522.jpg

B
T

carebear

BellyTank said:
Very warm but I found it uncomfortable and bulky and they're not very stylish at all.

1008522.jpg

B
T

That's the one. I found it comfortable and warm, definitely bulky and probably not stylish, but comfy and warm.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Should be able to get the Mechanic sweater from WW2 Reenactor Vendors.
Price may be better, or worse-

Limited to OD though...

B
T

The current issue US military 5-button sweater differs significantly from the WW2 'mechanics' 5-button sweater only in the colour (it's slightly darker but reponds to dye remover) the buttons (can be replaced with M-1941 buttons) and the stitching around the neck placket (you'd have to be a nerd to know this). They are freely available surplus and are very cheap.

Alan

carebear

Death Hunt is on AMC.

Nice mix of period cold weather gear and equipment. Lee Marvin has some great snow goggles and a parka with a cool binocular pocket.

Jovan

Suspended
Alan Eardley said:
The current issue US military 5-button sweater differs significantly from the WW2 'mechanics' 5-button sweater only in the colour (it's slightly darker but reponds to dye remover) the buttons (can be replaced with M-1941 buttons) and the stitching around the neck placket (you'd have to be a nerd to know this). They are freely available surplus and are very cheap.

Alan
I think I've seen those. I may consider one, but what I really want is one of those high neck buttoning sweaters that are popular now. Not because they're popular, but because I finally know I have an option to having cold metal against my neck.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:

Alan

Alan- I thought/hoped that people are referring to the A-1 (Mechanic)Sweater, when using the term; Mechanic's Sweater.
Like this one:

a1sweater.jpg

Orvis and others make a "Mechanic Sweater"- Orvis' one has buttons.

B
T

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm utterly amazed how hard it is to find a shawl collar pullover like this one. You would think it would be an easy find.[huh]
_pics_mti005a.jpg

I've looked just about everywhere on the web and the only thing I could find was a custom number out of Canada for about $128. Gap had one out a while ago that was a dead ringer for this one but they don't make it anymore. It's hard to find that 'just right' out there. I dig on the look of it, but being so particular I guess makes it hard to find what one wants. The one that Brad Pitt is wearing is a real nice one too. It's basically the natural rag wool without all the extra colors running through it. I had spent about two hours searching all kinds of options and search engines & only came up with the custom number that even came close. It sure would be nice if the Gap sweater was still available out there.
Oh well, I must keep trying and I'll eventually find what I'm looking for. Thanks for the heads-up BT, it is most appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yes- I tried a while back with little success.

BUT (you just reminded me)I did get a very similar one (to the example above),
cream coloured, with some cable knit but without the flecks from H&M for cheap-
hand-knitted in China.

Always watch H&M.

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
Is it just me or does anybody else find it somewhat amusing that we're all discussing mountaineering boots and winter sweaters at the peak of summer?!:)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Shawl Collar

Both Orvis and Polo offer Shawl Collar Sweaters. I also have one that is about 15 years old from LLBean and another more recently purchased at Jos A Banks. They're not that hard to find but it may be harder finding one that you like,

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Alan- I thought/hoped that people are referring to the A-1 (Mechanic)Sweater, when using the term; Mechanic's Sweater.

Orvis and others make a "Mechanic Sweater"- Orvis' one has buttons.

B
T

BT

Good point, the term should really be reserved for the A-1, although of course the Army 5-button sweater was sometimes used as such in WW2. The Orvis 'mechanics sweater' is a really weird version of the 5-button.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
carebear said:
One of my favorite pieces of kit is the Norwegian Army sweater I got during a Battle Griffin. Shawl neck and the sleeves had little thumbholes if you needed to roll the cuff down.

I can't find a picture online.

Came with a velcro closure on the neck, I should look into having it converted to button closure.

Known in the British Army (which stole the design and issued its own version, which zips at the neck but is otherwise not as good IMO) as a 'Norgie'. Best worn over a string vest. The Norgie is light, warm and dries relatively quickly - a really useful piece of kit.

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The British/Norgies that I've had, have been a kind of not-too-heavy, cotton sweashirting with very tightly looped,
unbrushed "terry" back/interior finish.
Not a woolly like the Norwegian Sweater, pictured above.
A different animal.

I thought the Norgie was the cotton job.

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe