Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Nick Charles

Practically Family
How about a new bag pappa
W100-20.jpg

at www.wmerc.com under new items

Rooster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Hobnails and Cleats go against Nature Conservation-
They cause wear and erosion.

Seriously-

B
T
Oh boy, something new for me to worry about!:eek: (not seriously lol )

Rooster

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
It is true, even if it sounds silly.
Imagine the damage a troop of mountaineers with hobnails and cleats would do to the rock on a conservation trail-

B
T
Not to mention what they do to their wive's wooden floors.....lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
Gentlemen (and ladies),
I was just perusing my library and came across my Vol. 1, Issue 1 of National Geographic Adventure magazine. In the opening pages, wouldn't you know there's a photograph of some vintage hobnail boots. Well, guess what? They look exactly like a pair of Chippewa 6inch cap-toe work boots, with the added hobnails. I know there's already been mention of using the GI boots, but I wanted to suggest the Chippewas as another (less costly) option. ATF sells hobnails and cleats to attach to any boots, although they are currently out of stock. A search of the web yields other suppliers too. If you have a copy of the first NG Adventure, you should check out the photo - the boots really are just like the Chippewas.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Italian Boots

BellyTank said:
The "white" upper is actually supposed to be a natural, brown shade and the heel counter and toe cap should be dark brown(if there is to be any colour contrast).
Maybe it's the photography, or maybe it's just terribly wrong.
I like the construction design, not the spectator-ness.

More like this-

Italian_Boots.jpg

B
T

Ignore my Spectator observation. I say again only the Italians could design something so rugged with such style.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Advice on trouser hems...

The trouser hems on my khakis are getting severely frayed. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are cheap or expensive khakis. Though I think all khakis should be cheap because I put them in the utility pants category.

Here's the situation. I use these khakis when I am doing field work in Africa (just returned from a 5-week job). I have four sets of khakis w/shirts that I rotate daily. The laundry (base camp) there seems to be very rough on the clothes, though the hems seem to be the only part of the trousers that are taking a beating. I'm looking for solutions for effective repair and prevention. I am not too concerned about appearance after repair since these are field pants. The wear starts where the hem meets the heel of the shoe, so I am thinking perhaps the shoe being suede may also be a cause (due to friction). The shoes are thick soled, suede, Rockport Pro-Walker. I'll post some pictures later.

I'm thinking about having the hems re-stitched by a seamstress, and then having the back half of the hem covered with some type of leatherette material sewn in. I remember when I was at West Point that the inside back hem of our dress gray trousers had a small leather strip sewn on the inside of the hem where it meets the heel of the shoe. This was apparently designed for protection of the hem.

Cheers,

M8

Martinis at 8 said:
I'm thinking about having the hems re-stitched by a seamstress, and then having the back half of the hem covered with some type of leatherette material sewn in. I remember when I was at West Point that the inside back hem of our dress gray trousers had a small leather strip sewn on the inside of the hem where it meets the heel of the shoe. This was apparently designed for protection of the hem.

It was. Here's one from an early 40s suit. I find that tweed suits often have such a feature, either at the heel side of the hem or all around . . .

Aussie12.jpg

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
3/4" (or what have you)cotton tape does the trick- especially if the pants are to be wet-laundered. Keeps the cuff area tidy too. It's also a good idea to have the tape pre-shrunk/laundered before it's put to use and also sewn in with not too much tension- to avoid the cuff becoming distorted/puckered after laundering.

B
T

Rooster

Practically Family
Martinis at 8 said:
The trouser hems on my khakis are getting severely frayed. It doesn't seem to matter whether they are cheap or expensive khakis. Though I think all khakis should be cheap because I put them in the utility pants category.

Here's the situation. I use these khakis when I am doing field work in Africa (just returned from a 5-week job). I have four sets of khakis w/shirts that I rotate daily. The laundry (base camp) there seems to be very rough on the clothes, though the hems seem to be the only part of the trousers that are taking a beating. I'm looking for solutions for effective repair and prevention. I am not too concerned about appearance after repair since these are field pants. The wear starts where the hem meets the heel of the shoe, so I am thinking perhaps the shoe being suede may also be a cause (due to friction). The shoes are thick soled, suede, Rockport Pro-Walker. I'll post some pictures later.

Cheers,

M8
In your case I'd go with british WWII styled gaiters. Of course I may be a bit eccentric......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe