Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I swore I'd never do business with US Wings again. They still owe me more than the cost of that jacket now! :rage: I'm not about to risk another $50 for their lousy customer service.

I was thinking about one of Jerry's, and just having the sleeves cut shorter. According to his desription, they're cut close, like a safari shirt should be, but with long sleeves.

khakibushjacket.jpg

skbellis

One of the Regulars
WPG jacket

Jerry's jackets do fit more like a uniform, like they are supposed to. Just remember, as soon as you get something from WPG, re-sew the buttons. I love Jerry's gear, but the vast majority of his clothing always needs the buttons re-sewn. The fine Pakistani craftsman seem to skimp in this area.

---Scott

Rooster

Practically Family
Mojave Jack said:
That's exactly what I'm looking for, but I swore I'd never do business with US Wings again. They still owe me more than the cost of that jacket now! :rage: I'm not about to risk another $50 for their lousy customer service.

I was thinking about one of Jerry's, and just having the sleeves cut shorter. According to his desription, they're cut close, like a safari shirt should be, but with long sleeves.

khakibushjacket.jpg
Just took delivery of one of these from Jerry yesterday. I like it. I washed it as soon as I got it, as I figured it would shrink. The sleeves were a bit long, as it is a 44L and I'm just under 6', now they are perfect. I may buy another in jungle green.....
I also got the '41 pattern shorts...humungously baggy things, as they should be . also the late war kahki trousers as well as the aeratex BD shirt. All pretty nice stuff. The BD shirt has to go back, as it's a bit tight in the waist, either that or my gut is too big....:rage: I ordered a 44 , I'll get a 46 this time around. I wanted to try the aeretex fabric and see how cool it was this summer.
Oh, got the ascot too. anyone know how to properly tie one of those things?lol

Kodiak

A-List Customer
WOW! That Brooks Brothers jacket looks absolutely perfect!

I wonder... do the good Brooks Brothers have massize end-of-season discounts like J. Crew, Banana Republic, etcetera?

I like the jacket that Will put on his blog, but I've never been such a fan of the belted safari jacket, at least for travel and stuff. For the bush, maybe. Must be a genetic defect or something...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Safari Jaacket

Mojave Jack said:
Nice!

I scored an Orvis short sleeve safari shirt on the 'bay, but it turned out to be a 65/35 ploy/cotton blend! :eek: In the Mojave?! I don't think so! Fortunately the seller was really great about giving me a refund. You really can meet some decent people on e-bay, as it turns out. So, I'm still searching for that fitted short sleeve version like in Will's picture:

safari+jacket.jpg

I'm telling you, fellas, this is our year, so you'd better stock up while you can!

Mojave this is the one I had made back in the 80s and lost somewhere:rage:.

I must say though that the Italian safariana is pretty smart too...

Story

I'll Lock Up
Tourbillion said:
Here's some inspiration for you guys from the old family photo files. What I wouldn't give for my great-aunties jodhpurs...

That reminds me, I'd seen some surplus jodhpurs dirt-cheap (and too small)... found these in the first search go-around:
http://www.1aiel.com/motorcyc.htm

"ROCKETEER JODHPURS"
Early style U. S. American - 1900 to 1940's
- Tan color, with 2 front slit pockets, & 1 rear flap button pocket, they have belt loops & suspender loops!
"They are a slight taper on the sides!" - for $68.95 FOB Dallas
- U. S. American, & Early Riders, Pilots, etc. - 1800's to 1930's & 1940's - military style or the baggy Commercial style, 2 front button pockets, with Watch Pocket, & 2 rear flap button pockets, - from size S, M, to waist 38" - are $68.95 FOB Dallas
Larger size, over 38" waist are POR! - Also applies to other Jodhpurs too!

Story

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
Saharianas RULE!

Safariana- now you've coined a new term!

B
T

BT,
What's the scoop on these?
http://www.onlyforweb.it/ar/art-825/r-198

Sahariana - Squaw

Giacca Donna Squaw. Giacca Donna modello sahariana, 4 tasche anteriori, chiusura con bottoni clips e laccetti in vita. Perfetto per tutti i giorni.
grande
particolare
Disponibilit?†: Disponibilita bassa
Prezzo di listino: 54.0 €
Prezzo in offerta: 43.2 €

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Airplane" is on right now. Yeah, so I'm sitting around at noon, sue me.

Anyway, in the Peace Corps "teaching basketball" scene Ted Striker has the safari jacket / shorts thing going on.

Couldn't find images though.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Rooster said:
Just took delivery of one of these from Jerry yesterday. I like it. I washed it as soon as I got it, as I figured it would shrink. The sleeves were a bit long, as it is a 44L and I'm just under 6', now they are perfect. I may buy another in jungle green.....
Good to know! I am exactly 6', but have pretty gangly arms. Keep us posted as you wear it out a bit more. I've been debating them for some time,mainly becasue the US khaki service trousers I got shrank something fierce. I knew not to put them in the dryer, but forgot and that's all she wrote.

Rooster said:
I also got the '41 pattern shorts...humungously baggy things, as they should be .
Those I had to get altered, despite Baggers admonishments. Mine went way past my knees, and you could fit two of me in each leg! lol They ares till baggy, but now they look more accurate. MY wife still won't let me wear them out of the house, though.

Rooster said:
Oh, got the ascot too. anyone know how to properly tie one of those things?lol
Hemingway Jones. He wears one all the time, and pulls it off quite well!

Story, I have Jerry's khaki cotton jodhs and they are awesome. At $95 a little bit more than the ones at the site you posted, but they fit perfect, and the flare is there but not overwhelming.

I'd wear these every day if I could get away with it, either with boots or with tall stockings. I was playing around with this look a while ago, but I need thicker socks to hide the bottom of the breeches.

ArchaeologistSocks.jpg

Man, I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Instead of thicker socks...

MJ,

Instead of thicker socks with Jerry's jodpurs, why don't you try some of his Hose Tops. In essence, thery are sort of like leg warmers. Their purpose was to give the enlisted men the look of the long khaki socks on the desert (with shorts), while theyr could still wear their regular grey issue socks. Another option is to use the long puttees. I was once intimidated by the long puttees until I found this site on how to wrap them: http://www.oryansroughnecks.org/how4.html

Cheers,

---Scott

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally