Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
Actually I'm a licensed "arsonist" of sorts...certified prescribed burn manager.
In that shot (it was not cropped) I was patrolling a fireline. The conflagration behind me had approximately 50ft flame heights! I'll have to scan some of the old pics I took years ago when I was with a Forest Service firefighting unit, but I'll post these elsewhere just for the sake of keeping our adventure gear thread on track.

Carebear, that Norman Maclean book is one of my all time favorites. Unfortunately, some of those lessons were never learned as the whole story played out again at Storm King Mountain about ten years ago. To think that I was almost deployed to that fire!

Back on track...I really like your idea about adjustable or customizable cartridge loops. The custom route would be nicest, but would also limit future changes to what one might be shooting. As for the adjustable loops, perhaps some sort of elastic knit material?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I read the Storm King book as well. Such a waste of brave men and women.

For adjustable loops, use no elastic. It will wear out and has no vintage class.

Man, I wish I could draw...

Picture this. A leather patch, say 3"h x 6"w.

Starting 1/2" in from one side and centered by height cut a vertical slit about 5/8" high, space over 1/8" or so and make another slit.

Space over 1/2" and make another identical pair of parallel slits.

Continue that pattern across the patch to the other side.

Now weave a 1/2" strip of leather into the first slit and back out it's partner. Continue that across as well, being sure to leave loop space for the cartridges over the 1/2" space between slits.

Sew the patch onto the breast of the garment.

Now you can simply pull (while wiggling) on the ends of the leather to size them to a particular cartridge. Once things get wet they will swell and tighten up but you can tug the ends to resize as necessary. Friction will keep them taut.

For a more finished look you can secure one end under the patch and only have adjustment on one side and have that tag end tuck back under the patch or something.

carebear

I'm pretty sure it's a clever, stolen idea...

What I meant by "draw" is on the computer. I'm aces with pencils and a protractor. [huh]

Mike K.

One Too Many
I get it! Nice idea.

Actually for the elastic loops I was thinking along the lines of what one would find on a vintage set of AN-6530 flying goggles, or perhaps even the knit cuff material of an A-2 jacket. I think I'd prefer the custom style.

Anyone use a cartridge belt?

carebear

Mike K. said:
I get it! Nice idea.

Actually for the elastic loops I was thinking along the lines of what one would find on a vintage set of AN-6530 flying goggles, or perhaps even the knit cuff material of an A-2 jacket. I think I'd prefer the custom style.

Anyone use a cartridge belt?

I likee this one.

104-0442_img.jpg

http://www.sanpedrosaddlery.com/cartridge_belts.htm

carebear

The belt is a replica of the one Tom Selleck wore in Quigley Down Under.

The manufacturer probably didn't have a cartridge rifle around when they shot the photo.

From the ad copy of the web site.

Reproduction Sharps Carbine. Used by Robert Urich in "The Lazurus Man" TV Series.
Not For Sale

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
By the way, I just discovered this. Hessen Antique is reproducing the DAK pith helmet. I think this would make an excellent civilian helmet, with the simple removal of the insignia shields. It is hard to find pith helmets in anything other than the "Zulu Wars" British shape, and the DAK style could be just the ticket.

DAK2.jpg

http://www.hessenantique.com

J

JohnTheGreek

http://www.oldwestreproductions.com

This guy makes the best leather I've seen. I own a pair of his holsters and a money belt. VERY nice stuff! You might also try to find Simon Aardima (sp?) in the Salt Lake City white pages. His work is also top shelf and he does all the factory holsters for Freedom Arms and also Heritage Arms' "Africase" stuff I believe. If you happen to need a nice saddle, Simons is also your guy. He made me a really nice Western style "Pike" holster for a pearl handled 1911 I owned. Holster (in black), Magazine case, and 1911 were stolen in Flagstaff Arizona so, if you see it down that way, let me know.

mvc-116.jpg

Best,

John

Speedster

Practically Family
JohnTheGreek said:
http://www.oldwestreproductions.com

This guy makes the best leather I've seen. I own a pair of his holsters and a money belt. VERY nice stuff! You might also try to find Simon Aardima (sp?) in the Salt Lake City white pages. His work is also top shelf and he does all the factory holsters for Freedom Arms and also Heritage Arms' "Africase" stuff I believe. If you happen to need a nice saddle, Simons is also your guy. He made me a really nice Western style "Pike" holster for a pearl handled 1911 I owned. Holster (in black), Magazine case, and 1911 were stolen in Flagstaff Arizona so, if you see it down that way, let me know.

mvc-116.jpg

Best,

John

I have a Cheyenne holster and a money cartridge belt from Rick Bachman at Old West Reproductions. I agree with you. He makes the best leather i have seen too.

J

JohnTheGreek

Well, I disagree with a lot of what Patton had to say. :) I'll just leave it at that.

That holster Simon made was actually better constructed and designed than the one shown and produced in black (a favor to me as Simon HATES making black holsters). The rig and pistol made their way to Africa a couple times, got dragged through the brush in the US routinely and generally they performed exceptionally well. They both deserved better than to get ripped off by some lowlife sleazebag who will NEVER know the quality of the work embodied in either. :( This all happened five years ago, can you tell I'm still bitter about it? :(

Best,

John

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
By the way, I just discovered this. Hessen Antique is reproducing the DAK pith helmet. I think this would make an excellent civilian helmet, with the simple removal of the insignia shields. It is hard to find pith helmets in anything other than the "Zulu Wars" British shape, and the DAK style could be just the ticket.

DAK2.jpg

http://www.hessenantique.com

Comrade, some friendly advice- I pretty much know what's available in the World-of-Pith... these aren't repro'ed by Hessen- they're the same Vietnamese make as all the other Zulu, Wolseley, French....., etc., Pith helmets you see on eBay for $20 and less.
But the DAK one has the badges, albeit denazified.

I was recently in New Zealand and saw these in an Army Surplus shop for the equivalent of $US27!- so $US60 from Hessen seems a bit harsh.

Look around eBay for a cheaper one- they're not exclusive to Hessen.

Of course, I can't find one on eBay now...

B
T

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I'll check that out. I like the profile of the DAK style ones much better than the British style, and my 59cm head is generally too large for a vintage pith helmets.

Saving money on the helmet is good anyway, considering the liner on the Hessen helmet is completely wrong (adjustable type like on the other Asian ones) and needs to be replaced.

Mike K.

One Too Many
BT,
You sound pretty knowledgeable about pith helmets. Regarding the style with the shorter brim in front and longer brim in back (with moderately domed crown), is the Wolseley type pith helmet the only one of this style or are there others? I have one of the Vietnamese-made piths that I like a lot, except for the "leather" liner. I'm searching for one of the more classy looking piths. Any suggestions on who makes the best Wolseley style (or other with the longer rear brim)?

Mark G

A-List Customer
Here's three hoslters I've made for my "six guns". The first is a California Slim Jim and the other two are Cheyenne Mexican loops with money belts. Made for Southwest adventuring.

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4929.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally