Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mike K.

One Too Many
Guys, I just ordered up a brand new single shot rifle in .30-30 caliber. For the wild boar here in Florida, this was the perfect caliber...and now that Hornaday is making .30-30 spitzers instead of the ol' soft points, all the better. I'll post pics of me in the field (I actually wear & use all this safari gear), especially after I bag my next boar!

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Cobden- thanks. A link would be nice. Although, if you know of a place in London that sells them, I'm sure I can wait until I'm over there this July to pick one up.

Mike- nice job on the purchase! Although, for boar I'd want more than one shot. Where do you hunt them? (I went to FL once after boar, and came back with a carving :eusa_doh: )

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I love the 30-30, Mike. That is about the nicest shooting cartridge I think I've ever fired. I fell in love with a Winchester Model 94 growing up hunting deer in western PA. I borrowed my neighbors to hunt, and have wanted one of my own ever since. It's a great gun in the brush, particularly.

Mikepara, where and when were those shots of you taken? Those are great. And JBD, does Hem know of your fondness for these large cats? Maybe you guys should stay out west here where you can have some critters like that roaming around. New England is no place for a cheetah!

Thanks to a tip from my great friend, Nick Charles, I landed these shorts on e-bay, and they arrived today.

FilsonShortsFrontsm.jpg
FilsonShortsBacksm.jpg

They are Filson, so they are definately going to last, but what I really like about them is the English Patient-esque waistband and closure. These shorts will serve me well in the field doing my research this summer. Never mind those skinny, bony things poking out from under them; they'll brown up pretty quick now that we're hitting the high 90s!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Now those are sharp. I might have to look into getting a pair...

Ok ladies and gents, I found more French boots (AKA frog boots), for cheap too.
http://store.oldgrouch.biz/frdoboyoufix.html

Unfortunately they have some storage wear and sizes from 6 through 9. But they're darn cheap, $7.50 a pair!

Now, if you're like me and have big feet you can't go wrong with these:
http://store.oldgrouch.biz/frdobubosi.html

Sized from 12.5 through 14, not bad for $34. I've never dealt with this company but I've heard some good things about it.

74483_ts.jpg

Also, sportsmansguide.com has them in varying sizes (7-12) but they're a little more expensive:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97128

I have dealt with this company and I had a good experience with them.

Grab them while they last!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JohnTheGreek said:
... North of the US border, I think everything is importable (EVEN WOLF) with the exception of Walrus (Pacific and Atlantic), Polar Bear (but only from some areas), and Wood Bison. This last species really burns me up as it's not even listed as "Endangered" by the ESA and the US is basically keeping hunting dollars away from supporting what is really a great Canadian management plan for the species. ...

Best,

John

You probably know this but there's a (tough to get) permit draw for plains bison up by Delta Junction here in AK. The woods variety died off around the turn of the century but they reintroduced the plains boys in '28 (vintage bison).

Mike K.

One Too Many
Dude!! Somebody needs a tan!! lol :p
Nice shorts Mojave. The length looks like it'll give good coverage for days afield. That's a really interesting waist too.

Kodiak, we have a sizable population of wild hogs on the wildlife sanctuary where I work. Being an invasive/exotic species that causes a lot of damage, as many hogs as possible are removed. Protect the native ecosystem, get rid of the stuff that doesn't belong. Most of the time that involves dispatching a trapped animal, so no real risk of one turning on me. Occasionally, however, I do come across a roaming beastie. Nothing beats the .30-30 in heavy brush. Now that the new spitzers are on the market, I can also take long range shots...my preference for the big boars. I also use a Winchester 94 that, like you said, is better if that second shot is actually needed. My last barbeque was a young 70lb boar that I took out with a single head shot at about 40 yards (with iron sights). There are at least two large boars (300+ lbs) that still need to be bagged.

carebear

Mike,

Time to man up and go in after them the vintage way.

With a spear. :D

Are you finding the Leve-revolution rounds really give you a range increase?

I've read reviews with opinions on either side.

Mike K.

One Too Many
carebear said:
Time to man up and go in after them the vintage way.
With a spear. :D
That's a bit too hi-tec. I prefer to just use a wooden club!lol
Most of the shots I've taken are under 100 yards so I can't really comment much on the new rounds. For now, I'm just going with the ballistics reports that I've been reading. I just spotted a very large boar living on the back side of a very large, alligator infested marsh. It'll be a 150-200 yard shot, so I'll get back to you with a report assuming I get a decent shot (I'll definitely be using a scope).

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Dude!! Somebody needs a tan!! lol :p
Nice shorts Mojave. The length looks like it'll give good coverage for days afield. That's a really interesting waist too.
lol Hey! I take proper precautions against sun poisoning! I can't help it if they're knobby, though!

Nick pointed these out to me when they were up on the 'bay, and the waistband is what really grabbed me. They're not a button fly, but they have side adjust tabs, flapped back pockets, the French fly, and the length is perfect. Teamed up with my favorite chambray shirt, and I'm ready for a day in the field. I'm actually in the midst of planning my field research for the summer, and I still have yet to find a hat that really works for me. Something that I can wear, literally, all day and not have it drive me crazy or sweating bullets, tough enough to roll a mile or so across the desert when the wind gusts hit 40 and I'm not paying attention, not dry out and crack into tiny bits of hay from being in 115 degree sun for 10 hours, etc. I don't ask much! lol

J

JohnTheGreek

Jack,

VERY nice shorts. I need a pair of those!

Carebear,

I do actually know that about Alaska. There are too few good places to truly wild bison anymore, that's for sure. If one doesn't want to wait 30 years to draw a tag for plains bison, there is also a herd in B.C. that I think Pink Mountain Outfitter's guides for (big money). At no charge, you can also hunt importable Wood/Plains crossbred animals in the "bison free zones" around Wood Buffalo National Park in Alberta...any time of year and with no license. It's rough country though and you might die in the winter. All in the name of sport I suppose. :)

All,

A nice piece of vintagey gear might also be the New Ruger #1 being offered in 9,3x74R which predates a lot of early and better known safari calibres AND is legal for Dangerous game in most countries. Ruger is also planning to offer this model in 450/400 3" Jeffery this year. OH BOY OH BOY! Just the thing to go with your shorts and pith helmet!

20L.jpg

Best,

John

Mike K.

One Too Many
Recent adventures & gear

Okay, so it isn't a safari or my typical work day in the backcountry, but I thought I'd share a few photos from some recent adventures. The first photo was pulled from the local news. The second is a shot of me in action, taken by a friend.
fire.jpg
Mike7979RJWiley.jpg

Had to temporarily exchange my khakis for some yellow nomex.
Ahhh, the adrenaline rush...I love a good forest fire!!!:D :D

Duck

Practically Family
JohnTheGreek said:
Jack,

All,

A nice piece of vintagey gear might also be the New Ruger #1 being offered in 9,3x74R which predates a lot of early and better known safari calibres AND is legal for Dangerous game in most countries. Ruger is also planning to offer this model in 450/400 3" Jeffery this year. OH BOY OH BOY! Just the thing to go with your shorts and pith helmet!

20L.jpg

Best,

John

That would be a sweet caliber to own. I have a Ruger #1 Tropical ( which looks like the one you posted) in 375 H&H and I love it!!!:D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
Okay, so it isn't a safari or my typical work day in the backcountry, but I thought I'd share a few photos from some recent adventures. The first photo was pulled from the local news. The second is a shot of me in action, taken by a friend.
fire.jpg
Mike7979RJWiley.jpg

Had to temporarily exchange my khakis for some yellow nomex.
Ahhh, the adrenaline rush...I love a good forest fire!!!:D :D
Mike, nice action shot. It looks like a National Geo shot; actually, they both do. Khaki is all well and good, unless your life is on the line, then nomex will do nicely! I'm not so sure about turning your back on the seeming conflagration behind, though! Is that the whole pic, or is it cropped? If it's cropped, I'd like to see the whole thing (the one of you, that is).

carebear

I'm not so sure about turning your back on the seeming conflagration behind, though!

That's what arsonists leaving the scene of the crime do... :D

True and tragic book recommendation with Golden Era firefighting tie-in. Adventure gone wrong.

"Young Men and Fire" - Norman Maclean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally