Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer formal fashion question

Orsini

Familiar Face
Charlie Huang said:
Yes I did.

n579976723_1762933_2738645.jpg

Strictly speaking, if your ceremony begins in the afternoon then you wear morning dress and can continue to wear it way into the evening. But given that this is America we are talking about where morning dress is more or less essentially dead, you'd be forgiven on ignorance for wearing black tie from late afternoon onwards.

Personally, I would go for a dark suit since the whole timing of it is iffy.
I thought that avator looked familiar. That vest really looks swell!

When at all possible, I usually favor wearing the nicest thing that is correct, but it is always tough to go wrong with navy solid, white FC shirt, wedding tie, and shiny black captoe oxfords...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Comment and question

Comment: Weddings seem to be planned entirely for the convenience of the caterers these days. I HATE having the dinner coincide with the dance. I've actually seen people get up to dance and return to find their almost untouched dinner plate already cleared. Just dumb and inappropriate. The idea is to push the bodies through the catering hall. And trying to eat with a deafening wedding band blasting away right in your face is no fun either.
American weddings in general tend to be spectacular exercises in vulgarity.

Question: Regarding the morning suit, I find it interesting that it can be worn through the evening. Is there a cut off time when it should no longer be worn? I suppose that an event starting before 4 PM should be over before 10 or 11, but you never know.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I think it depends but anything after 5PM is erring on the brink of acceptability.

Also, note that a morning *suit* are matching grey coat, waistcoat and trousers and can be only worn to summer weddings or Ascot (all black for funerals and formal City lunches). This is opposed to morning *dress* which are all three pieces unmatching.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Should I ever get married I'd probably just wear a nice three piece suit and my fedora (once outside). Uncomplicated and both vintage and modern really. No issues as to what's acceptable at which time. I just don't think I'd be able to pull off morning dress, I don't want to wear black tie during the day, and a fedora can't be worn with a stroller, so it narrows it down to a suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld