Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer formal fashion question

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Sam, I don't think you mentioned whether you're wearing a tux...although you did say "formal clothes". I don't wear them to weddings unless I'm part of the wedding party...I usually wear a business suit or blazer and slacks. If you're not wearing a tux, then IMO any appropriate summer hat would work - and a nice Panama definitely qualifies.

univibe88

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
The fact is it's 2009, not 1959 or 1929. It's an accomplishment to prevent people from wearing flip flops and jeans. I think a nice tux, black or white, black oxfords (not loafers!) and a nice Panama or a Boater would make you the most elegantly outfitted gent at the event.

Ain't that the truth! Modern society is completely confused when it comes to black tie, white tie, formal, semi formal, morning dress, etc.

Orsini

Familiar Face
For a black/midnight blue DJ, I would use the homburg. For a white/ivory DJ, the straw boater.

In the United States, if the wedding function will last past 6:00 PM, then evening semi-formal/black tie is frequently specified.

Although I would not personally do this, if facilities were available and there is no risk of upstaging the wedding party, you might consider day semi-formal/stroller/Stresemann for the day portion and then change to black tie for the evening portion. If so, wear a homburg or bowler with the stroller.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
JS1561881.jpg

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Orsini said:
Didn't you go punting this last weekend?

Yes I did.

n579976723_1762933_2738645.jpg

Strictly speaking, if your ceremony begins in the afternoon then you wear morning dress and can continue to wear it way into the evening. But given that this is America we are talking about where morning dress is more or less essentially dead, you'd be forgiven on ignorance for wearing black tie from late afternoon onwards.

Personally, I would go for a dark suit since the whole timing of it is iffy.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Orsini said:
For a black/midnight blue DJ, I would use the homburg. For a white/ivory DJ, the straw boater.

In the United States, if the wedding function will last past 6:00 PM, then evening semi-formal/black tie is frequently specified.

Although I would not personally do this, if facilities were available and there is no risk of upstaging the wedding party, you might consider day semi-formal/stroller/Stresemann for the day portion and then change to black tie for the evening portion. If so, wear a homburg or bowler with the stroller.

I would not wear a bowler with the black lounge since you won't be able to wear it after you've changed to black tie. The homburg can be worn by both.

tortswon

Practically Family
Change of attire

The input here has been most helpful. I think that a change of attire is out of the question given the time allocations for each part of the event. It will simply be impossible to travel between venues and have adequate time to arrive promptly at the dinner dance.

Further, if it is impossible for me to make such a quick change, how about my wife with makeup, etc? There is no place to change at the second venue, and even if there were, would that entail carrying luggage to the church for the ceremony?

IMHO, the event has not been well planned from the timing standpoint and my wife and I will deal with wearing the same outfits throughout the event. If I had my own traveling wardrobe department and butler, it might be a different matter. Best, Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld