Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

It's a lot like the way "The Golden Era" is used around here -- it used to have a pretty narrow focus, but now it's anything from the twenties to the sixties or seventies or even the eighties, depending on what's being discussued and who's discussing it.

Not to mention that not every casual discussion requires the precision of a research paper.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That’s like people that label anything from the nineteenth century simply as “Victorian.” Queen Victoria reigned for sixty-three years, from 1837-1901. Nothing changed in all that time, I suppose. That's like saying that nothing’s changed since Elizabeth II came to the throne in 1952. (By the way, if she’s still on the throne in September, she’ll beat Victoria’s record and become the longest-reigning British monarch.)

It is even worse with Victorian houses. They can go from 1837, all the way to the 1920s according to some authorities. Never mind the Queen had been dead for 20 years. There are so many styles of homes in that time period. Most, were still the old square or rectangle, with no exciting features to speak of. I own an 1888 Queen Anne, she was only gone for 174 years by then, not sure how my style of house got her name?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"back in the day" When was "back in the day?" I do not feel confident my research papers and other items requiring credibility will be accepted if I date my sources and events as "back in the day."

Back in the day, we would have said poppycock to your source! :D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I own an 1888 Queen Anne, she was only gone for 174 years by then, not sure how my style of house got her name?
How a house style became known as a Queen Anne I know not, but there was a regency style of furniture that became known by that name. Perhaps by mockery, given that a Queen Anne dining chair has bow legs. Queen Anne suffered gout all her adult life, a condition that caused her to limp. She was said to be bow legged because of her ailment. Who knows? A Queen Anne house conjures up the image of a property on bow legged stilts.

How about ****s in shiny new expensive cars who park 'em on the line and hog up two spaces so no one can (in theory) park too close and maybe bump their car getting in and out.

How about ****s in shiny new expensive cars who park 'em on the line and hog up two spaces so no one can (in theory) park too close and maybe bump their car getting in and out.

The other side of that is, with me at least, if you drive a big SUV and you have children who have no idea how to control doors; you have to take two to prevent my children from putting dings and dents in YOUR doors. :p

The other side of that is, with me at least, if you drive a big SUV and you have children who have no idea how to control doors; you have to take two to prevent my children from putting dings and dents in YOUR doors. :p
Riiiight.:p
My daily driver is a pick-up truck that cost less than some of the hats posted around here. I don't worry about stuff like that.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Riiiight.:p
My daily driver is a pick-up truck that cost less than some of the hats posted around here. I don't worry about stuff like that.
I used to own a fleet of Mercedes Sprinter vans, before retirement. Those vans had no problem keeping up with traffic speeds, yet you will always get the idiot, who just has to get in front of the van. They will risk life and limb to do so. Morons.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Abreviations:eeek: When I have to ask what they mean! The world seems to think it's wasting time to write a whole word these days.
Worst offender? ID It used to mean 'Identification documents', as in "show me some ID". Now we have "Can someone ID this coat" Where as using the words would have made more sense.
Sorry my American friends, but the good old USA is probably the worst offender and us lot here in the United Kingdom coming in a close second.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I used to own a fleet of Mercedes Sprinter vans, before retirement. Those vans had no problem keeping up with traffic speeds, yet you will always get the idiot, who just has to get in front of the van. They will risk life and limb to do so. Morons.
Sorry, I'm probably one of those 'morons', I like to be able to see where I am going, especially when on my motorcycle, where as you can usually look over the top. Dont worry its not just vans as anything big blank and squarish I like to 'see through' so to speak :)
One of the biggest bullies on the roads today are women driving 4x4 type vehicles. They make them feel safe and indestructible though that may be a false sense of security if the meet a cement mixer hehe.

Last edited:
There's no shortage of those here, either (morons, not Mercedes vans) and it doesn't make any difference what is in front of them. The worst are the fools who will ride your @ss until they have a chance to get around you, but then once they do, they don't speed up and keep on going, they just get in front and carry on at the same speed they were.

We do have those high topped Sprinter vans here, they just are mostly all badged as Dodges. I guess its a leftover from the Daimler-Chrysler merger from a few years back, because other than the little piece of chrome plated plastic in center of the grill they are indistinguishable.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Abreviations:eeek: When I have to ask what they mean.
Tell me about it, a young lady, working in one of our leading supermarkets, told me that she was sure that they didn't have a delicatessen department. She honestly didn't know that deli was short for delicatessen.
I got my Godson going on those text speak abbreviations. In a text he sent me he added: BTW, I text back asking if it meant bring the wheelchair. He text back the word: "rolf" I was tempted to text wtf, but that would give away that I wasn't totally ignorant of text acronyms. So I text: "rolf?" He sent me the translation. I text back that he had forgot: "cgua." His turn to be confused. "Forgot cuga?" He asked. I replied: "rolf-cgua." Which as every geriatric will tell you means: Roll over laughing on the floor, can't get up again."

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I think we need to blame the WWII generation for letters instead of words. SNAFU, the meaning of my life these days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld