Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Still a dump in the ghetto. Attendance is WAY down there. They are thinking of moving---again. :rolleyes:

The Giants, rightly, are blocking their attempted move. San Jose will never happen, and Sacramento, which has its arms open and even potential new ownership lined up, is just too small of a market. It's going to be a long time before they find a new home.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have been to the auto races at Talledega with 300,000+ in attendance. You want to see inadequate facilities......

That's why I like Drag Racing! You can buy a pit pass, no alcohol, so no fights, and the smart ones know, the Porta Potys at the far end of pit row are rarely used!

My best friend from childhood got his Master's from MIT in the early 80's and said essentially the same thing. He's been to ball games all around the country, but said that the worst behavior he's ever witnessed was at Fenway in the bleachers. Some woman had beer tossed on her: she scolded the culprit, and the louts around her began chanting "B***h! B***h! B***h! " at her for her trouble.

Sad, because it's a beautiful old park with a great history. Much as I'd love to take my wife there someday to see a game, I don't know that I'd want to do so, if there is even the remotest of likelihoods of something like that being around for her to have to witness.

Lizzie, gave you the right answer (as usual) as you really, really want to experience Fenway - my favorite stadium. In the '90s, I was able to walk up to Fenway an hour or two before the game and, as long as it wasn't a big game (vs. Yankees, the Pennant is on the line, etc.), I was able to buy good tickets - box seats - for face or sometimes less than face. Then something happened in the next few years where ticket prices exploded up and instead of spending $50 for a really good ticket, they doubled or tripled and have never gone back down.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Things are a bit more reasonable now after the end of the "sellout streak" and all the bandwagon hype from the 2004 World Series win. Now, with the team alternating between excellent and appalling, it's shaking out a lot of the pinkhats, and while it's still the most expensive ticket in the league, it's not quite as ridiculous as it was. If you just want the experience of seeing a game at Fenway, you can get decent tickets for humdrum opponents at a reasonable price. Some games you can even walk up to the window game day and buy them over the counter for face value.

It's still not as cheap as it used to be in Montreal, though. Walk up to the window any game in the late '90s, and get any seat anywhere in the park for $5 Canadian. The Big Owe was and is a bizarre concrete monstrosity, but it was clean, accessible, and a surprisingly good place to see a ballgame. I miss the Expos.

Now living back in NYC, the Yankees are - whether winning or losing - an incredibly expensive ticket. I thought that Stubhub might help, but even for lousy games toward the end of a season that is not seeing playoff potential, many only okay tickets still be offered at hundreds of dollars - right up to game day. Just incredible. Once the game is played, the ticket is worthless, but still, thousands will sit unsold at high prices on Stubhub right up until game time - I don't understand it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sounds like it's the same thing that happens with the Sox -- season ticket holders who buy season tickets not so much because they're rabid fans, but because they see it as an easy racket for mulcting tourists. As long as people visit New York, they'll want to see Yankee Stadium, even if now it's just a theme-park replica of the real one.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
And I'm old enough to remember going to see the Cubs when a box seat could be had for $3, grandstands went for $2, and a buck a seat in the bleachers. The team was awful, but you could sit almost anywhere you liked. My grandfather told me about how, when he was a kid in the neighborhood, they'd "hire" the local kids to clean the place up after a game for a free baseball and a ticket to the next day's game. I shudder to think how this latest renovation at Wrigley will pan out, but that's <groan> progress, I suppose.

They say that this will be the year for the Cubs... but after surviving September of 1969, I'll believe that when I see it. Being a Cub fan is like being married to a spouse who habitually cheats on you: after playing the cuckold year after year you hope against all rational inclination that things will get better....... and when they don't you're more hurt than ever. I want to see them do well (and I want the White Sox to do well also, but that's another story) but the status of "fan" finally got too painful.

Sounds like it's the same thing that happens with the Sox -- season ticket holders who buy season tickets not so much because they're rabid fans, but because they see it as an easy racket for mulcting tourists. As long as people visit New York, they'll want to see Yankee Stadium, even if now it's just a theme-park replica of the real one.

All of that makes sense, but I am still surprised that an hour before the game, sometimes, there are literally thousands of tickets on Stub Hub at high prices that don't come down. Once the games starts (or gets past an inning or two), the ticket is worthless, but they still won't drop the prices. I live less than an hour from the stadium door to door, so I use to check a lot and finally just gave up.

As to old versus new Yankee Stadium. First, I am on Fedora Lounge because I just have a natural love for "old things." And, again, my favorite stadium is Fenway. All that said, and having grown up in the NY metro region and I was a kid when the Yankees were wining all those World Series in the '70s, the stadium itself always left me cold as a piece of architecture. I loved its history, but physically I just never felt it. Whereas, Fenway felt wonderful from the first moment I stepped inside.

The new stadium - since I didn't care about the old one - has a lot of good and bad things. I can't stand the pinball wizard light displays that fire up all the time - I feel like I'm on the Star Trek enterprise. And there is the theme park (as you said) vibe. But, the sight lines are great, the passageways are comfortable and well laid out and the seats are meaningfully better than the old. Since the old one didn't have a great vibe to me, I like the improved physical comforts of the new one - but man I wish they'd reduce the number of different colored lights and not fire them up for every little event.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
"back in the day" When was "back in the day?" I do not feel confident my research papers and other items requiring credibility will be accepted if I date my sources and events as "back in the day."

F. J.

One of the Regulars
"Victorian" . . .

"back in the day" When was "back in the day?" I do not feel confident my research papers and other items requiring credibility will be accepted if I date my sources and events as "back in the day."

That’s like people that label anything from the nineteenth century simply as “Victorian.” Queen Victoria reigned for sixty-three years, from 1837-1901. Nothing changed in all that time, I suppose. That's like saying that nothing’s changed since Elizabeth II came to the throne in 1952. (By the way, if she’s still on the throne in September, she’ll beat Victoria’s record and become the longest-reigning British monarch.)

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
That’s like people that label anything from the nineteenth century simply as “Victorian.” Queen Victoria reigned for sixty-three years, from 1837-1901. Nothing changed in all that time, I suppose. That's like saying that nothing’s changed since Elizabeth II came to the throne in 1952. (By the way, if she’s still on the throne in September, she’ll beat Victoria’s record and become the longest-reigning British monarch.)

Thank you for posting what you did. I learned something I did not know. I did not know when Victoria reigned and I did not take the time to ever look this information up. So when people spoke about Victorian era material(s) I was very ignorant and remained silent.
Thank you for sharing.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"back in the day" When was "back in the day?"
Back in the day, to me, is just another euphemism. Previously it might have been: "In my day," or "the olden days," or "days gone by." Back in the day implies a better time. But the best time of all is now. You can learn from the past and you can plan for the future, but you can only live now!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's a lot like the way "The Golden Era" is used around here -- it used to have a pretty narrow focus, but now it's anything from the twenties to the sixties or seventies or even the eighties, depending on what's being discussued and who's discussing it.

fashion frank

One Too Many

I always refered to "back in the day " when I am refering to when I was a lot younger like when I was going up,we all used to say "remember back in the day " .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

P.S. Did anybody miss me ,I used to be on here alot back in the day.

I always refered to "back in the day " when I am refering to when I was a lot younger like when I was going up,we all used to say "remember back in the day " .

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

I've missed you Frank. How're things? Still enjoying the new house and automobile?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Back in the day, Frank, when you returned from a long absence, you were expected to produce a note from your mother explaining why? I shall look forward to seeing your's. And no counterfeits please.
Welcome back.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Yes Its Me !

I've missed you Frank. How're things? Still enjoying the new house and automobile?

DH66 Thanks for the kind words.
Yes I have been doing both, in fact I worked on the model A all day today installed new rear floor board, windsheild glides ,and painted the firewall.
I will post pictures later this evening.
This Sunday is the Dust Off Tour with the Model A club and getting her ready for that.

Sorry I dont have a note from mom, she been dead for quite awhile now.

All the Best,Fashion Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld