Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

The Shirt

Practically Family
I thought I'd jump in. Found these in the garbage at a neighbors after she passed away. She had style and class even in her last days. Still cannot sew - but hope to attempt one of these someday.

Picture066.jpg

Picture064.jpg

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
The Shirt- I love the 2nd Simpicity and the instant dress. Are those printed patterns? We must get together and sew sometime. You could take a class to learn the basics and I could help you with a few things though I am not all that good myself.

The Shirt

Practically Family
DPD- I will take you up on it - seriously! Perhaps next month we can get together and I can take you to crafty planet (which has all sorts of good reproduction fabrics). The funny/scary thing is - I had no real idea what size I was when I scavenged these. I think most are a bit small for me - so I will need to alter the patterns a bit. Not knowing how difficult that is has really kept me from even begining to try. I love the instant dress as well - it would hide my belly! And I finally realized I accidentally posted 2 of the same pattern - oh it's been one of those days.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
^You should check out one of the sales at Joannes or Hancock Fabrics. You could get a retro pattern to start with, or I could bring one of mine. Most are uncut. I think you are my size or smaller?

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
I thought I'd jump in. Found these in the garbage at a neighbors after she passed away. She had style and class even in her last days. Still cannot sew - but hope to attempt one of these someday.

Picture066.jpg

Picture064.jpg

Wow I can't believe someone threw them away :eek: But what luck for you:)

The Shirt

Practically Family
The family got about 1/3 of the way thru the house throwing things out left and right. They then decided it was too much work and sold the house as is intact with everything in the garage, the attic and the basement. A super hip young girl who worked at a local architectural salvage shop snatched up the place and has been working her way thru everything ever since. I've seen a couple great old bikes, some light fixtures and a beautiful tobagen (sp?) be restored as a result. She's the lucky one!

lyburnum

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I got this the other day

3281-46.jpg

Uncut and factory folded...and my size! I thought that it was a reasonable one for a beginner as it has no sleeves.

I'd be careful with this one. I don't know how it's made but I'm guessing that you're going to need to interface and under-stitch that detailing at the shoulders - which is a nightmare if you've not done it before. Have you made stuff before? If so it may not be a problem, but if it's going to be your first item I'd choose something a bit simpler and get to grips with the basics first.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
lyburnum said:
I'd be careful with this one. I don't know how it's made but I'm guessing that you're going to need to interface and under-stitch that detailing at the shoulders - which is a nightmare if you've not done it before. Have you made stuff before? If so it may not be a problem, but if it's going to be your first item I'd choose something a bit simpler and get to grips with the basics first.

I agree. My sewing skill level is intermediate and this pattern is something I would attempt to have a go at.
For an absolute beginner I would recommend a pattern without set-in sleeves, but also something without a collar or lapel. Preferably one where you can finish the openings with store-bought bias tape.

My best advice is to choose woven cotton fabrics only (no knits) and nothing too thick and bulky or smooth and slinky.
I still steer away from thin and slinky fabrics because I have realised that sooner or later during the process I will go crazy and throw the unfinished garment in a pile in the corner lol
Good luck! :)

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I found the mother load

I discover the Wisconsin mother load of 40-50 patterns, there had to be 30 of them.. However, the seller is asking to much for them. There are a lot of them that are factor fold. Prices from $3.00 to $10.00, more of them were $10. I picked up 3 of them, I will post picture later.

Josephine

One Too Many
Neany73 said:

Oh! OH! This type of dress is one I've been looking for. I have a bunch of dark green fabric with white polka dots on it that I was going to make into that wrap dress from Butterick, but decided one was enough for me. So I wanted to find a dress where I could have a polka dotted skirt, a white top, and a little jacket type thing also in polka dots. But I can't find any like that? Does anyone know of any other dresses similar to this one?

(that might be the perfect size too... lol )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe