Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I got them on ebay, they are a copy of the infamous "pattern sheets" where you have to find your outline and copy it.

Still you do get lots of patterns.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I usually use the pattern right out of the envelope unless it's something I'm planning to make up more than once. But I'm very careful with the instruction sheet -- it's even more vulnerable to damage than the pattern pieces, since it was usually printed on a cheap sort of newsprint paper that tends to go brittle if poorly stored. I've had instruction sheets literally crumble to bits in my hands even while the pattern pieces stay good as new -- so it's a good idea to make a scan or a photocopy before setting to work on a project!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
WOW!!! GOK, those patterns are GORGEOUS! I collect the 30's mccall ones and you have some I've never seen before! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for those on ebay ;) Beautiful!

And Tourbillion, are those the ones you were talking about on the Queen Mary? Gosh, they're stunning! I love the cover ones with the ruffles! Just smashing!

You ladies have beautiful things! :)

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Tourbillion said:
and a few more!

305161464_33c0a630dd_m.jpg

305161565_7ddfc41351_o.jpg

***rolling in early 30's ecstasy***

Oh, Tourbillion, where did you get these German pattern. They are great, I envy you.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Seamstresses--Ever Used Past Patterns?

I recently purchased a 1930s skirt pattern from Past Patterns. The first one arrived and parts of the instructions were so faint that it was unreadable and the pattern pieces had gobs of ink in spots--at the dots and notches, especially. (It was as if they folded up the paper with the ink still wet.) I emailed them and told them how disappointed I was with the quality of the pattern (especially considering the cost) and they shipped another one to me. Last night I traced out the pattern pieces in my size (it is multi-sized) and when I tried on the waistband, it was almost 6" too short for my size. Then I thought it might be sized "vintage". I wear a modern 12, but a size 18 vintage. But even the size 18 was several inches too short. So I fired another email off to the company inquiring if these patterns were vintage-sized or modern. They don't have a size chart on their patterns--something they desperately need, in my opinion. This morning I got a reply from the lady that owns the company and she said,

"Waistbands, like the rest of the pattern pieces have to be adjusted to fit. The waistband is the size of the waist measure plus 1".

She never really answered my question. The skirt pattern is for a gored skirt and one of them has pleats at the bottom. I haven't been able to find a vintage-looking skirt pattern until I saw this. I am SO DISAPPOINTED. I will have to alter each piece! I would of been better off getting a REAL vintage pattern and altering that. If you're a thin gal, then I can see these patterns would work, but not for a more curvy gal. The sizes are all off. This will be my one and only purchase from this company.

Has anyone had experience with Past Patterns?

Elaina

One Too Many
I own a few, and had to go digging for them to actually answer all this for you.

I did not buy the bulk of my patterns from them (I have about 12 of them, I think. At any rate, those are the ones I have in a box, I may have 2 or 3 more somewhere else.) I bought 2. They claim the sizes are industry standard, and only a few are vintage sized, on the website too. depending on what you bought, it's supposed to be "modern".

Now, that said, I've found their drafting skills to be less then satisfactory. While I realize you're supposed to redraft some pieces, you're not alone in having to redraft the entire garment. One of the dresses I made for a friend (who is skinny, I mean like size 0 skinny) had to be readjusted from 2"-8" on some pieces, which has always led me to believe she drafted them according to what she thought of as vintage sizes, not any sizing standard. Most of her patterns are for high intermediate or above in sewing skill, and usually not for the faint of heart with the directions. The dress I did make I used a Vogue sewing book, a school textbook AND an old lady friend that I could call for stupid questions, and I'm pretty good at sewing.

I don't deal with her. Customer service sucks, most seem to have some sort of problem with the patterns from directions to sizing and many complain about the quality of the patterns. I'm frequently wrong, tho, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt.

There is a lady out of Abbot, TX (I can't remember her name, or the company off the top of my head) that had decent patterns, is nice and will help you if you need it, but the garments are sized vintage. JoAnn of Laughing Moon is another one for Edwardian era stuff that I go with, the sizing is good, modern AND has ample room for us curvy folk (and I love her so much I shamelessly plug her every chance I get). Decades of Style has some really nice gals, good patterns, and like the other 2 will offer more then customer support to get that garment made. DoS even recalled a pattern and replaced it for free.

If you go to http://www.gbacg.org/Patterns/index.htmlthe there is a place where people that make some of these patterns will critique them, and will often include comments about the company itself. It's called the great pattern review, and there is a section for all costume pattern makers out there it seems. Checking the Past Patterns link, seems it's a mixed review, but it may help (be aware most of the GBACG is into Dickens Faire. It's older then the 1940's by about 100 years, but it can give a good indication of the reputation the company may have and you can read about problems other sewers have had with them).

Also http://www.patternreview.com is free and you can look up patterns (mostly modern, but there is a lot of info on the vintage inspired ones) that may also have information on patterns and the like that will help.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Elaina, for your comments. The drafting of their patterns is a BIG problem as I have now discovered. But I just love the Decades of Style patterns, but they don't have a large selection...yet. I made a 1930s evening dress with one of their patterns and it was an enjoyable experience. Their customer service is superb too.

I'll probably try to sell this pattern and maybe re-coup some of my money back. If I've got to do some altering on a pattern, I'd rather work with a real vintage one than one that just says its a vintage re-make. I guess its just a case of buyer beware. Thanks for the pattern review links. I'll check those out next time.

I'm a pretty average sewer and, like you, I have several resources including an older neighbor lady who has sewn for years and even made patterns from old clothes. (Taking the garment apart and using each piece for a pattern) She was invaluable when I made a 3 piece suit for my hubby several years ago and I was having trouble with the welt pocket.

Guess I won't have any skirts made this week. :(

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I thought past patterns used the bust, waist and hip size, rather than dress size? That was the impression I got whilst scounting through the 40s section only last night. I almost bought a pattern, but they didn't accept paypal - I am kind of glad now after reading this!

I ordered from the blue gardenia in the end - look at me running before I can walk! I don't even own a sewing machine yet! :p

Sunny

One Too Many
I've used Past Patterns, but only for 1860s reenacting. I do know that Sandra (Saundra?) makes all her patterns from originals. I have no idea how this affects her sizing; however, the older the original gets the more likely it is to have been tailored or even custom-made. Things can easily get out of whack if a minor figure adjustment is exaggerated in the sizing. I always make a muslin of things anyway, since my figure has never been a standard size. Reenacting bodices are very close-fitting, indeed.

I also have the impression that her 1930s and 1940s patterns have been around longer. Perhaps her drafting skills have improved, since she's pretty highly recommended for her basic 1860s dresses.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Elaina has said everything in my experience as well! I tried to make a civil war dress from them and the sizing was very very strange and the pieces didn't fit together right. I have heard the same from other sewers as well. This was before I heard that they were redoing some of their patterns- back in like 97 when I wasn't a good seamstress to begin with.

Decades of Style is a great company and their patterns seems to be pretty true to size- I made a late 40's evening dress from them for my cousin and it came out beautifully. AND they have great customer service.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
If Past Patterns have "improved" their patterns, they haven't gotten to the 1930s yet. The good reviews they get are for patterns before 1900. My hubby has to make a stand for my dress form (it was a 'freebie' from my sister and she lost some of the stand and legs) and when that's done, I'll be better able to adjust and draft this pattern. I decided not to totally give up on the pattern because I do like the style. Unless one is an expert seamstress and a "mellow person" in general, I wouldn't recommend them because working on their patterns can be maddening!:p

Kim_B

Practically Family
Larger-Sized patterns

I came across this Etsy store today and was really impressed with the variety of large-sized vintage patterns for sale. I haven't had much luck on ebay purchasing RTW vintage clothing because I'm larger than the average girly, so this is one of the places I'll be keeping an eye on once I master the art of sewing and pattern reading :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=100606

ricki

Familiar Face
I have been trying to cut back on my pattern buying until I actually make a few more of them, but I couldn't say no to these hats:

326690200_a175de1ac7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe