Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I grew up in a yellow and white kitchen.....so fresh and clean looking.

Mom would repaint every few years...so first it was white with yellow trim...then yellow with white trim...etc..... ;)

So when you get bored...you can always paint the inset part of the cabinet doors in white ;)

The Shirt

Practically Family
Loving the kitchen Pink. I'm thinking of moving and as I look at houses in my range they inevitably need some work in the kitchens. I'm getting great ideas in this thread!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Pink Dahlia said:
l_29ec00d6a90c09a9e3aef2465889d0a9.jpg
Are those blue and white tiles in the back splash original, or did you put them in? Anyhow, they're a great touch.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Desk, et al

I just received the finishing touch for my new old desk, so here's a pic. All from Ebay, of course. The desk is probably just about 1950, the clock is early 40's and the desk lamp, which came today is also probably early 40's. The desk has been tidied up like crazy, but will return to chaos as soon as nobody is looking.
Deskset.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I just received the finishing touch for my new old desk, so here's a pic. All from Ebay, of course. The desk is probably just about 1950, the clock is early 40's and the desk lamp, which came today is also probably early 40's. The desk has been tidied up like crazy, but will return to chaos as soon as nobody is looking.
Deskset.jpg

A tidy desk is the sign of person that's not real busyIMHO....

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Restoration project (the continuing saga) ...

I was able to make some more progress stripping off the old paint from my fireplace mantel this weekend. I've just about got all the old paint off that I can with a scraper. I guess the next step will be to do some sanding. Here's a picture of what the project looks like at this point.

DSC02704.jpg

One very interesting thing I found quite by accident. While stripping off paint close to the part of the mantel closest to the fire box, I discovered some blue paint. I scraped down and have determined that this blue was the "original" color of the room. The photo looks (on my computer) more green than blue, but in reality is is a very unusual shade of dark blue (with a "green undertone"). Now, all I have to do is find a way to match that color with a new paint and I'll be on my way to bring this room back to the way it looked around 1917 when my grandparents moved into the house.

DSC02706.jpg

Minerva

Familiar Face
Is there any way you can chip off a sample of the paint? The hardware store should be able to custom-mix a match for you if you can show them what colour you want.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's exactly the same direction I'm going with mine. There's something about that black and white, or off white, with bright red trim that just says 40's and 50's. Unfortunately I'm starting to wonder if it's the kitchen equivalent of all the girls who love the 50's look becoming clones of Betty Page. Still, I really like it. Looks like you're a more competent kitchen remodeler than I am. I'm painting everything, but I can't afford to put in things like new tiles and floors yet.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Wow Cherry that looks great! I love love love how you ran the floor on a diagonal! Your white cabinets and the floor make your kitchen look so much bigger! :eusa_clap

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Sofa King Cool!

Here's a gem of a sofa I found just a week ago at one of my favorite antique shops... it's from the late 1920s and is all ORIGINAL! Yes, can you believe that fabric is original? Well it is!

sofakinghi6.jpg

Now a close up of the fabric...

sofaking2xd5.jpg

It's no later then the early 1930s I'm going to say... has the original tag under the cushions and the fabric pattern was patented in 1927.

Believe it or not, it's a comfortable sofa... and I even like the color! Found it on sell for $156. bucks! Can't miss with that price!

Just need a more period end table, coffee table and maybe some better window dressing then those old "rental" styled blinds and it'll be DONE!

Thank you dhermann an Mary!

That floor was a bigger pain than I anticipated. I was not going to settle for not setting it on the angle but I sure paid for it. It is far from perfect but I'm satisfied for now. I just used peel and stick tiles so it only cost me about $240 for 4 boxes. My kitchen is a fairly good size 10X15, if I hadn't goofed up so much I would have had a lot left over. As I messed up a bunch I was scrimping for pieces at the end. :rage:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
sofakinghi6.jpg

Believe it or not, it's a comfortable sofa...
Any sofa that old would be bound to be comfortable. First, they were all built MUCH more solidly back then, and second, only the most solid would survive that long. I partially redid a sofa of that vintage years ago, and got to see the insides. Modern sofas are total crap compared to sofas of that era. That is one category where "they don't build 'em like they used to" applies in spades.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I love seeing everyone's kitchen remodels. We're pricing out a kitchen remodel right now and I want to do white, shaker-style cabinets, jadite green walls, gray and white checkerboard tiled floor, white tin ceiling and hanging schoolhouse style pendant lights. I'm just waiting for the money tree to finish blooming, then I'll be set. lol

The Shirt

Practically Family
I know that it's not the same but there are products out there that mimic tin ceilings but at a way better price. There are plastic types and there are wallpapers too. This is coming from a girl who just can't always afford to be a purest. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe