Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
I found this beauty at the thrift store a couple of days ago. Even though it had been worn and needed a good cleaning, the previous owner had left the original price tag on the back - I guess he wanted to be able to show people that he had a $150.00 tie. Or maybe it was to remind himself that he was a fool for blowing a hundred fifty bucks on a necktie...

I don't care about the price tag, but I love the design and I think it's going to be one of my favorite ties.

TieEstro1.jpg

TieEstro2.jpg

Even though it's not vintage, it's a beauty! But who would originally pay $150 for it? (Hopefully it never really sold for that price...)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Enigma1947 said:
Here's a beauty that I found a couple of years ago. $25 on an eBay BUY IT NOW!!! Hand Painted San Francisco!!! One of my favorites, although I feel strange wearing it considering I am in Los Angeles and have never been to San Francisco. But, I am still happy to have it as part of my collection.
lounge054.jpg
lounge057.jpg

Enigma1947, I live in L.A. and would still wear that tie! I've got my father's blue, late-'50s necktie with streetcars and the Golden Gate Bridge, and I wore the heck out of it in the early '80s.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Great ties! What's amazing (as seen in the yearbook photo) is how short he tied his tie...

That was a DB suit thing back then...no walked around with them unbuttoned so I guess you wanted the 'meat' of the tie to show. [huh]

Gene

Practically Family
The label on the one with the harp and violins says "Hand Tailored Normandy," the others have no labels unfortunately. They are all silk. I've been starting to collect ties again since I recently picked up a deco tie rack/color coordinator chart from 1937 at a flea market.

SANY1089.jpg

You spin the dial and it gives you tie color and what color choice of shirt and pants...really handy to have!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The third tie is a great example of the late '40s-early '50s 'surrealism' fad in neckwear design. Salvador Dali got the ball rolling with his incredibly successful line of ties. Plenty of anonymous neckwear designers followed Dali's lead, with some mind-boggling results: my favorite one has a bunch of lobsters with telephones in their claws.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
SWING Tie

IMO the SAME tie as yours!

Lounge47.jpg

1948 was the largest sales year for swing ties. I also like pre-1950 yearbooks as photographic reference for vintage fashion! Solid Citizen :D

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
But, of course my favorite has always been my Hollyvogue.

IG008.jpg

There were some ties that I just loved in Public Enemies. When that film comes out on DVD I think I may have to get some screen captures to send to Magnoli to get a few of them made.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones said:
But, of course my favorite has always been my Hollyvogue.

There were some ties that I just loved in Public Enemies. When that film comes out on DVD I think I may have to get some screen captures to send to Magnoli to get a few of them made.

Cheers!

Dan

I have to agree with you there. Hollyvogue has been one of my favorites as well---along with Signet and Smoothie. :D

Warbaby

One Too Many
Even Miners Sometimes Dress Well...

Here's an odd one I picked up the other day. The black V-shaped tip is woven in the fabric, but someone has sewn (rather poorly) a black extension on the small end - but that's not why I bought it. I had to have it because of the label of the store that sold it: The Granby Consolidated Mining Company Store in Copper Mountain, BC.

One doesn't usually think of the company store at a copper mine being the sort of place one would go to buy a necktie...

TieF7a.jpg

TieF5.JPG

TieF4.JPG

TieF7.JPG

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
After seeing all these fabulous ties, I thought what the heck... I have nothing else to do:

IMG_2033.jpg
Pomeroy
IMG_2034.jpg
No Label
IMG_2035.jpg
No Label
IMG_2036.jpg
No Label
IMG_2037.jpg
No Label
IMG_2038.jpg
Van Heusen
IMG_2039.jpg
No Label

YETI

A-List Customer
Enigma1947 said:
Here's a beauty that I found a couple of years ago. $25 on an eBay BUY IT NOW!!! Hand Painted San Francisco!!! One of my favorites, although I feel strange wearing it considering I am in Los Angeles and have never been to San Francisco. But, I am still happy to have it as part of my collection.
lounge054.jpg
lounge057.jpg
Wear it man! Here's my 40s San Fran Panorama that I never wear. And I was born in Frisco. I really need a tie rack :eusa_doh:
S7301218.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe