Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Ah, didn't know that was helpful. I'm wearing the tie today, but I'll try to find a minute to take the tie off and scan the back -- thanks.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
As promised, here's the back of yesterday's tie, scanned, I might add, while I was still wearing it!

0317tie3.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
skyvue said:
The tie is 53 inches long.

Well, now we've got some real information to work with. The brocade reminds me of the 1930s, but the fold looks post-WWII. The width of the rear blade could be pre-WWII, but could also indicate '50s. The 33/8" width of the front blade is common with late-'20s ties, but could be found in other decades as well. Even though lining was sometimes found on '20s ties (thanks for that info, MarcC.), it became more common after WWII. I believe that the length, though, is the piece that puts it all together; ties 53" long were not found until the early-'50s, which is when I would say your tie was produced.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Well, now we've got some real information to work with. The brocade reminds me of the 1930s, but the fold looks post-WWII. The width of the rear blade could be pre-WWII, but could also indicate '50s. The 33/8" width of the front blade is common with late-'20s ties, but could be found in other decades as well. Even though lining was sometimes found on '20s ties (thanks for that info, MarcC.), it became more common after WWII. I believe that the length, though, is the piece that puts it all together; ties 53" long were not found until the early-'50s, which is when I would say your tie was produced.

I was wearing it with a suit from 1954, so that's apropos, I guess.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys.

Is there anywhere in the Lounge a compilation of helpful tie-dating tips (length, width, Baron's above-offered insight on the particular weave of that tie)? If not, would this be an apt thread for it, or should a new one be undertaken?

I'd love to see the same sort of info compiled for suits and sportscoats, trousers, etc., in a text file I could keep on my iPhone and use while vintage shopping.

Feraud

Bartender
Ebay sellers will list tie dimensions but can be very wrong regarding the time period.

Most guys here post good pics of their ties, measurements, labels, etc. We accurately nail down a manufacturing period.

Now if someone wants to take on the job of collecting photos, average measurements, materials, patterns seen, etc. go for it! I will gladly contribute additional photos and accurate measurements of anything in my closet.
It would make for a great reference sticky.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Ebay sellers will list tie dimensions but can be very wrong regarding the time period.

Most guys here post good pics of their ties, measurements, labels, etc. We accurately nail down a manufacturing period.

Now if someone wants to take on the job of collecting photos, average measurements, materials, patterns seen, etc. go for it! I will gladly contribute additional photos and accurate measurements of anything in my closet.
It would make for a great reference sticky.

If you wish, I'll start collecting photos and data, Feraud, and I'm sure that you, James Powers, Marc Chevalier, Baron Kurtz, John in Covina, Quigley Brown and others can greatly add to it all. I'll contact you later by PM about the logistics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82