Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
herringbonekid said:
yes, but all clothing generally.

Well- when I look at European fashions of the '30s, I tend to think it was quite progressive- inspiring the World. Britain's retrospective-Fashion-progression is the exception(and the POW may be the exception to that).

Baron Kurtz said:
That's where i end up on dating most of mine also.

But you can tell me whether 30s or 40s, though? I'd be leaning to 30s, but i don't know the width/length of 'em ...

bk

30's I would say- they're about 3" wide.

B
T

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
sorry for generalizing. i'm thinking mainly of menswear. for example, in america after the war they were designing lot's of innovative sportswear. british stuff looked pretty much the same until the mid 50s as it did in the 40s and even when it began to change it was just bad versions of the american stuff.

to be honest i haven't seen half as much european (non-british) men's 30s tailoring as i'd like to. it just never seems to turn up, and i'm sure there's some amazing suits that i would kill for. [huh]

whoops we're :eek:fftopic: perhaps we need to start a 'european menswear of the 30s/40s' thread.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Here's a taster- from 1936.

1936-22-FaschionForGentlemen.jpg

1936-23-FaschionForGentlemen.jpg

On the CD are some fashion photos from the '30s, which look almost like they're from the ''70s...
B
T

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
To be honest, I haven't seen half as much european (non-british) men's 30s tailoring as I'd like to. It just never seems to turn up, and I'm sure there are some amazing suits that I would kill for.
Forgive me for putting this in the "accoutrements" section, but since we're on the subject ... it is a 1930s GERMAN suit, so I thought you might like to see the tailoring details.

(Notice the pronounced "keyhole" buttonholes on the lapels. German suits made today -- especially "Hugo Boss" -- still pride themselves on this particular detail.)

GermanSuit3.jpg

GermanSuit2.jpg

GermanSuit4.jpg

SuitsetcSept505007.jpg

SuitsetcSept505003.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I upgraded the tie images above for anyone who cares.

I have some similar vintage English trou' in a biscuity Donegal Tweed with the flap fob and single rear flap pocket, extended bearer and an old Lightning zipper- they're weird- narrow legs and cuffs- all handsewn.

B
T

jeep44

One of the Regulars
9 pages in,and no mention of Countess Mara? Back in the '70s ,when I started buying ties,I thought these were the best available-at least in my neck of the woods. I still think the old ones are the best,of a quality like very few others. Am I the only one that still likes them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally