Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Annixter

Practically Family
Widebrim said:
th_CCF00272010_00003.jpg

That's a great looking tie. I have a Salvation Army a few blocks away, and I stopped in the other day for the first time. They had two vintage Wembley ties (4" wide), but one was pretty heavily stained and the other didn't appeal to me whatsoever. I now plan on going in once a week to try and grab a chance deal, if it comes.

The Bold Look!

BoldLookTies0210006.jpg

BoldLookTies0210007.jpg

On the left there is no Maker tag probably came out, but a tag that says "Select fabrics, Resiliant Construction"

Middle Maker Tag says "Korry of California" and the Men's Store it was sold at "Potter's Toggery Covina, Calif" which is one of the reasons I had to have it as I live in Covina today.

On the Right: No makers tag but the shop is "Dowers Men's Shop Minneapolis" Stamped Gas Lights
To my eye these are super ties in the bold look.

storman113

Familiar Face
Some ties I picked over the last few months at vintage/thrift stores. The thrift stores have turned up the most and cost is 1/10 of the vintage stores.

The colors in pic's are accurate.

Tie1.jpg

The brown/yellow on the right has a hole near the bottom. Was going to ask by daughter who sews very well if she can redo the bottom hem to eliminate the hole.

Tie3.jpg

The second from left red/blue/gray is my favorite.

Tie2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
storman113 said:
Some ties I picked over the last few months at vintage/thrift stores. The thrift stores have turned up the most and cost is 1/10 of the vintage stores.

The colors in pic's are accurate.

Tie1.jpg

The brown/yellow on the right has a hole near the bottom. Was going to ask by daughter who sews very well if she can redo the bottom hem to eliminate the hole.

Tie3.jpg

The second from left red/blue/gray is my favorite.

Great finds!:eusa_clap Akin to what Quigley Brown wrote, it is amazing how many different designs were produced over the years! (And you're right about vintage stores; usually high-priced.) I especially like the Brent (top, second from left), and the Wembley (bottom, second from right).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I had earlier written about a small score of Bold Look ties a few days ago at the Goodwill. Well, I returned on a hunch yesterday, and made an even bigger score on medium and thin ties, particularly square-bottomed ones. Here is one that I had only previously seen in a necktie book: Labeled, "The cocktail Tie," it is 2 1/4" wide, made of silk, and features the criss-cross strips sewn onto the front blade. It appears to be late '50s. (As usual, sorry about the small photo.)

th_CCF02102010_00002.jpg
For a larger view, click here: http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu146/1947studebaker/CCF02102010_00002.jpg?t=1265866089

And, again, for those of you who think that the "slip narrow end through here" idea didn't exist until the '70s, think twice.
CCF02102010_00003.jpg

Please sir may I have some more?

Some more of my favorites:

BoldLookTies0210004.jpg

BoldLookTies0210005.jpg

Tags on the ties from left to right

Pinecones: Maker- Wilson Faultless Made in USA Rayon
Sold at Shepard's Kansas City Kansas

Upsidedown Hearts: No maker tag, Sold at G.D. Hanson's Wakefield Nebr.

Palms & Peacocks: no tags

Zig Zag: Maker-Famous Stetson's Cravat Reg. Slip Stitch Construction

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82