Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

theinterchange

One Too Many
Found another thrift store find tie while digging through junk. I wore this tie once or twice, but felt it a bit too "dainty" for my taste. I'm not sure what it's made of or it's age, but the brand is Countess Mara [another stab at it being too dainty for my taste ;) ] it's 2 1/2" wide, but the black makes it look skinnier.

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

here's a shot of the material's pattern... too lacy for my taste

IMG_0438.jpg

Randy

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
Found another thrift store find tie while digging through junk. I wore this tie once or twice, but felt it a bit too "dainty" for my taste. I'm not sure what it's made of or it's age, but the brand is Countess Mara [another stab at it being too dainty for my taste ;) ] it's 2 1/2" wide, but the black makes it look skinnier.
IMG_0437.jpg

Randy

Looks to be around 1955 or so, judging by the width and fold.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know if all the Dali ties were issued at the same time, or several years apart? This one doesn't look like it might not belong to the same series as the grouping that were all titled on the back, like the Harlequin design for instance. I have a really interesting mock-Dali surrealism tie from the same era I need to get a good shot of and post here too.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^As far as I know, Dali' ties were produced from the late-'40s to the early-'50s. Necktie "experts" believe that Dali' and his assistants made between 42 and 45 designs, but with three to four color versions of each design. This would result in, at least, 126 variations, and possibly up to 180.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
^^As far as I know, Dali' ties were produced from the late-'40s to the early-'50s. Necktie "experts" believe that Dali' and his assistants made between 42 and 45 designs, but with three to four color versions of each design. This would result in, at least, 126 variations, and possibly up to 180.

Good to know, thanks! But I think this is it for my Dali tie collecting, they virtually always go far out of my price range.

Did you see the Dali exhibit when it was at LACMA? I was surprised they didn't really go into detail about the ties and how he was truly the only surrealist artist at the time pursuing the merchandising angle.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
thunderw21 said:
Your tie has a definite computer font running through it!
Compare the black print in your tie with the font below it.

147888.gif

That post of Feraud's is several months old but I had to share this.

I recieved the below piece of info from a reader of my blog. Check it out!

The 'digital' font so often associated with computers and checkbooks was actually an artistic choice that was adpated into electronic use. The font was created in the 1930s, and was chosen as the basis of the font used for check OCR scanning decades later for its clear delieanation between all of the numeric characters. It is definitely yet another slice of Art Deco that continues on in the modern world.

More than 20 years ago, getting a degree in Journalism and History (double major) I took a one semester course in typography. Much of it was really a 'history of fonts overview' and was amazingly interesting. Little trivia bits like that are still floating around in my head.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anybody have any guess as to the age of the unlined Langrock and bleeding madras (left, bottom pic) ties below? They are very narrow. I'm guessing 1930s.

img2384ed.jpg

img2392um.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
Did you see the Dali exhibit when it was at LACMA? I was surprised they didn't really go into detail about the ties and how he was truly the only surrealist artist at the time pursuing the merchandising angle.

I did not see the exhibit. The necktie phase of his career is still somewhat unknown to many of his admirers. What I would like to see is an example of a Picasso necktie; he produced around the same time as Dali'.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
I did not see the exhibit. The necktie phase of his career is still somewhat unknown to many of his admirers. What I would like to see is an example of a Picasso necktie; he produced around the same time as Dali'.

Oh! I've never seen those! Were those produced on a large scale?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:

The Dali exhibit mentioned how he was the great self-exploiter by offering his services for a price to individuals looking for a portrait of themselves. Jack Warner, for one, took Dali up on the offer. The wholesale selling of ones art was apparently not received well by fellow surrealists. I don't remember the exhibit mentioning his tie line, but the definitely did not have any on display.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
^^You know, I have read almost no details about his ties; I haven't even seen a photograph of one. They are obviously even scarcer than Dali' ties.

This of course begs the question of WHAT IF... someone like Marcel Duchamp or the Baroness Elsa Von Freytag-Loringhoven had threw their artistic beliefs out of the window and created their own line of clothing or accessories... Eggbeaters attached to licorice to be hung around ones neck? Machine Age table lamps attached to ones neck via the electrical chord? All signed by the artists in an area to attract the most attention lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
Anybody have any guess as to the age of the unlined Langrock and bleeding madras (left, bottom pic) ties below? They are very narrow. I'm guessing 1930s.
img2384ed.jpg

img2392um.jpg
I'm pretty sure they're early 60's. Ties didn't start having those little tags in back to slip the back of the tie into till then, and the overall shape and location of the labels says 60's to me. I also don't think the term "Bleeding Madras" had any recognition till just about 1960.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Made a killing at the Goodwill a couple of days ago. I found ten vintage ties (one ripped a bit), most of them Bold Look period. Ended up buying the four that interested me the most. Here is the first: No labels, 2 3/4" wide, feels like a smooth acetate, silver-cream, silver, brown, and rust, with light blue swirls and a Deco-like geometric motif. Given the width, colors, and design, I would venture to say it is c.'53-'55.

th_CCF00272010_00003.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82