Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I've never actually counted the WHOLE collection, but one time when I was packing to move I started to, but gave up at 1000...and there was still a ways to go. :confused:

I reckon I would have 200 maybe! Mainly non-vintage...

Annixter

Practically Family
Some great ties here! I wish I had the money to contend for the very verbose-design ties out there. I recently picked up my first two vintage ties from a local vintage clothing store. I'm not sure the age, but they look great with what I wear. They are both 3.5" wide. I'm a thinner and shorter man, so the fat ties just don't work well with me. Any ideas on the vintage would be great.

Ties.jpg

ties2.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^
^^
I especially like the red/white one (but, then, Haband is one of my favorites). Judging by stiching and width, though, I'd say early-50s. And by the way, you'd be surprised how inexpensive some of the "verbose-design" ties can sometimes be; you just have to have a sharp eye when at the thrift store!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Proto-Hippie?

Okay, here is finally a tie that I mentioned about a month ago. It is 4" at its widest, and appears to be silk. The inside of the front blade has stenceled: CUSTOM MENSWARE, CARDINAL, 557 FIFTH AVE., NEW YORK 17. This is the best example of a late-'40s/early-'50s necktie I have seen that looks like it came straight out of the late-'60s. (Sorry for the smaller size; the colors are even deeper than they appear.)
th_CCF00252010_00001.jpg

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the dates gentlemen. Widebrim, when comparing the two ties I just posted to yours, it's amazing that they came from about the same period. I wonder what people's reactions were in 1950 when they saw someone wearing such a tie.

Feraud

Bartender
Annixter said:
Thanks for the dates gentlemen. Widebrim, when comparing the two ties I just posted to yours, it's amazing that they came from about the same period. I wonder what people's reactions were in 1950 when they saw someone wearing such a tie.
Probably the same as seeing someone wear this in the 30s. ;)
DSC06730.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^Oh, yeah, that's the one I like! Feraud, the tie I posted looks like it was dipped in swirled ink (which is, of course, simulated to look like paint). How the effect was exactly achieved, however, is beyond my "ken." All I know is that when I wore it at school two days ago, I received quite a few compliments.:D

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've come across some of my thrift store find ties, and am particularly taken with this one tie in particular. It's a 3" wide Christian Dior but am unsure of it's age. Anyone have an idea?

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

Not sure why I like it as much as I do.

Randy

Annixter

Practically Family
I just snagged this from a flea market. It is in great condition except for three very small and hard-to-notice yellowed stains at the bottom. It's 4" wide with a simple yellow tag reading: "Neckwear by Haband, Rayon." It is hard to tell from the pictures, but there is a nice paisley, or more of a circular swirl, design in the fabric that makes the colors pop when light is on them.

DiamondTie.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
Widebrim said:
^^It is likely late-'80s/early-'90s, and I can see why you like it. The thin, blue vertical lines add to the overall scheme quite well.

I actually did a bit of research and came up with photos several 80's Dior ties with the embroidered logo, like this one. Yeah, it's a nice tie regardless of vintage or not.

Randy

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Annixter said:
I just snagged this from a flea market. It is in great condition except for three very small and hard-to-notice yellowed stains at the bottom. It's 4" wide with a simple yellow tag reading: "Neckwear by Haband, Rayon." It is hard to tell from the pictures, but there is a nice paisley, or more of a circular swirl, design in the fabric that makes the colors pop when light is on them.

DiamondTie.jpg

Yeah, I can see the swirl brocade. Overall a nice design, from likely late-'40s/early-'50s. Haband did offer some very nice ties during those years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82