Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:

Pleated ties are still made and sold. Look here: http://www.hollyvogue.com/IBS/SimpleCat/product/ASP/hierarchy/00/product-id/187817.html

Pleatedtie.jpg

Yes, I had seen those a while back on their site, but the tips are not done in the "waterfall" style of earlier days.

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim said:
A black, pleated, rayon necktie, made by the same company as the maroon one that I posted, Legath. The company was located in Allentown, PA. (Sorry, again, that the photo isn't larger.)

th_CCF10102009_00002.jpg

Oooh...I like it in black! :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_4256.jpg

I've posted it before, but since we're on the subject here's an alternative type of pleated tie I got at an antique store two winters back. With all the pleating and extra paneling, it weighs a ton.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The diagonal pleats certainly give it an interesting look, but I don't wear it much.

It's really quite incredible just how much fabric is used in this tie.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You always manage to find great stuff. Must live near an old rich neighborhood. ;) :p

How is this preWar stuff still surfacing in America I ask....in a loft Mrs Cleaver? Down Under I saw the first genuine 40s suits the other day and 20 years ago they were everywhere...now all but dried up.

Brummagem Joe

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap You always manage to find great stuff. Must live near an old rich neighborhood. ;) :p

........There was fashion for abstract ties at one time and I can't remember whether it was before or after the second world war. The tie on the right even though I don't like this genre generally speaking is absolutely knockout.....it really is superb. I remember reading somewhere that a lot of leading abstract painters like Picasso and Dali had collaborated on some project where each designed a tie and then they were sold with proceeds to charity.......did this ever happen?

Feraud

Bartender
That may be the case in certain parts of America.
The lifespan must be better in other parts of the U.S. because the goods we appreciate barely show up in thrift stores in NYC. That generation must have passed on or moved out of the city.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe