Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I wouldnt personally spend $500 on a tie, I think there are some really amazing ties out there that can be had for less than $10, but if youre a serious collector, then I suppose its worth it to them. I would find it a shame for it to sit in a drawer or hang on a wall. I hope he wears it. Life is too short not to.

Widebrim said:
This just can't be for real!:eek: I have never seen a Dali' tie sell for that much!:eusa_doh: I have two of them, and spent a total of about $110 for both. Just because it has uranium graphics? Somebody please school these people!

Grandfather always used to say that stupid people shouldn't be allowed to walk around with money in their pockets.
I suppose they don't for very long. ;) :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Ask Art Fawcett about his friend who collects Dali ties. The guy has been doing it for many years, and he still isn't done. His goal is to have pristine examples of every Dali tie design ever produced. How many designs were produced? No one's sure, but the number is certainly over a hundred.

Marc Chevalier said:
Ask Art Fawcett about his friend who collects Dali ties. The guy has been doing it for many years, and he still isn't done. His goal is to have pristine examples of every Dali tie design ever produced. How many designs were produced? No one's sure, but the number is certainly over a hundred.

I prefer to collect the "female form" ties to Dali thanks. ;) :p

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
This just can't be for real!:eek: I have never seen a Dali' tie sell for that much!:eusa_doh: I have two of them, and spent a total of about $110 for both. Just because it has uranium graphics? Somebody please school these people!

I have two, also, but luckily was able to get them for a quarter each at a yard sale...:)

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Pleated ties began appearing in the U.S. mass market in the 1940s. The first ones were wider than Thunder's --nearly 4 inches wide-- and they were rather high end: made of silk, not rayon, and sold under Saks Fifth Avenue's house label.

Apparently, the high end customers weren't too interested, but lower end folks were. Brighter, cheaper pleated ties made of rayon began to hit the market, and they hung around for about 5 years ... until ties became so narrow that they couldn't hold pleats!

Okay, here is mine, c.'54-55. It is just a tad over 2 1/2" at its widest, and feels like it is made of rayon.
th_CCF01082009_00002-1.jpg

And for those who think that the "Insert small end here" gizmo didn't exist until the '60s, think again...
th_CCF01082009_00003.jpg

Sorry that the photos are not larger...

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Okay, here is mine, c.'54-55. It is just a tad over 2 1/2" at its widest, and feels like it is made of rayon.
th_CCF01082009_00002-1.jpg

And for those who think that the "Insert small end here" gizmo didn't exist until the '60s, think again...
th_CCF01082009_00003.jpg

Sorry that the photos are not larger...

I like that tie from what I can see. They got awfully narrow, didn't they?

Was recently looking for material to make a 'reproduction' of a pleated tie and couldn't find anything suitable. They just don't make rayon like they use to.

Feraud

Bartender
thunderw21 said:
Was recently looking for material to make a 'reproduction' of a pleated tie and couldn't find anything suitable. They just don't make rayon like they use to.
Trying to make your own? Now that sounds like a project!
Keep us in the loop as you proceed with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe