Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Wild Root

Gone Home
Really! lol I need to buy some more dress shirts so I can wear them more... the one's I have (non vintage) are wearing out and look nasty so, till I get to the thrift shop again they'll have to hang there in the closet for a short wile.

=WR=

PS. BK, next time you find some ties you don't want but, you think little ol' me would be interested, let me know.;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I like the brown & yellow. :)

The two striped ones have that binding applied all the way 'round. They're unmarked and a wee bit narrower than my others.
I would have pegged the Ruffled Grouse tie at earlier, the blue and orange ones at late 40's - early 50's. The striped ones are a kind of mystery (unmarked). Any thoughts?

Wild Root

Gone Home
scotrace said:
I like the brown & yellow. :)

The two striped ones have that binding applied all the way 'round. They're unmarked and a wee bit narrower than my others.
I would have pegged the Ruffled Grouse tie at earlier, the blue and orange ones at late 40's - early 50's. The striped ones are a kind of mystery (unmarked). Any thoughts?

Yeah, late 40's early 50's... that's what I meant to say... I have a few early 50's ties and well, they look like the late 40's ones... it's really hard to peg them some times.

Lets see some more details on these ties Scott... if you please!

=WR=

Wild Root said:
PS. BK, next time you find some ties you don't want but, you think little ol' me would be interested, let me know.;)

Sure thing ... i come across those fat 40s abominations all the time. Not my bag at all. I leave 'em all behind, though i should buy them to sell. I have a few lying around (actually currently drifting through customs on a boat on its way into England). Will sell those at some point ...

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's a question for you fellas ...

When you put away your ties -- either on a hanger or in a drawer -- do you separate them by category? If so, how?

By fabric design?
By fabric type?
By color family?
By era of manufacture?
By maker?
By width?
By length?
By condition?

My friend Nathan (who has about a thousand vintage ties) organizes his by era ... and within that category, he organizes by color (and sometimes by fabric too). Needless to say, Nathan has many different tie hangers!

I organize by color family -- period. It saves me hangers.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
Sure thing ... i come across those fat 40s abominations all the time. Not my bag at all.
bk

Whahahahahaha! All for ME!!! lol

For the record, the 70's ones are abominations... the 40's ones are just not your taste. :D

Shoot me a PM when you find the ones you want to rid your self of! ;)

=WR=

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'll take pics tonight.

I put them on a (very crowded) tie rack. After removing a tie, I rub the fabric at the knot to relax wrikling, then hang them by: newer ties by color, and then the vintage ties are in a group themselves. I only have a couple dozen but I'm always looking.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I organize my ties by period and color… 40’s and early 50’s wide colorful/bold patterns are all together… silk’s and rayon’s. Then, it’s the 20’s and 30’s hand woven striped and patterned brocaded rayon. Palm Beach is with other light weight summer ties and also a few military uniform ties. I have 6 or more hangers with all these ties in order… Marc has seen them… I also have a 1938 tie hanger on the wall that I put my top favorites on… they look so nice hanging there!

=WR=

PS. Sounds good Scott! Can’t wait!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
Typos are fun! lol

I saw that too... lol that was a good one! After removing a tire... hahahahaha!

No offence Scott, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing how funny it sounds... heaven knows I make mistakes all day long! lol

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Indeed... and that one was a good one!lol

Any way, as Scott originally intended to say, I do the same thing after I remove a tie... I smooth out the area of the knot and hang it up or lay it on top of my '37 Silver toneradio till the next day... when I take off a tie, some times it's pretty late and I'm pretty tired.

=WR=

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
My friend Nathan (who has about a thousand vintage ties) organizes his by era ... and within that category, he organizes by color (and sometimes by fabric too). Needless to say, Nathan has many different tie hangers!

I organize by color family -- period. It saves me hangers.

Well...I'm right-brained. I let them all hang like a giant abstract painting on one whole wall. I have over 1200. There's no way I'd be that anal as to actually organize them in some categorical way.

no insult intended.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Striped Ties

Taper is 3 & 3/4" ---> 1" ----> 2 & 1/2".
I was mistaken. The bottom edge "feels" like binding, but isn't.

tie1.jpg

tie2.jpg

tie3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally