Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

lyburnum

Practically Family
My boyfriend has been calling me his lucky charm this week, as I found so many lovely things in thrift stores.

IMG_0350.jpg

8mm projector $3. We spent the afternoon watching Super Bowl 1 on it, as his Grandfather passed him down loads of his old 8mm film.

IMG_0347.jpg

1950s coffee and tea canisters. I'd like to find the matching flour and sugar canisters too. My boyfriends Grandmother used to have ones exactly the same. $3

IMG_0344.jpg

Delmonico tube radio. Needs refinishing and the knobs need replacing but it works just fine. $10

IMG_0345.jpg

Polaroid 100 Land Camera. First land camera they made and apparently the best. Came in its original case with flash, flash bulbs, polaroid card mounts, manual, and old film (not usable of course). It's in absolute pristine condition. Looks like it's never been used. $25

IMG_0342.jpg

Zenith tube radio. I spent an hour or so cleaning the dirt off it but it's in nice shape. It needs some minor refurbishing but that's about it. Plays just fine. $20

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

This is our favourite find of all. A 1954 Philco tube record player, in fantastic condition, still working, with original manual. Unfortunately the speed dial doesn't work, but that's about it's only problem. My boyfriend is good at electronics so he's going to have a look at it and see what the problem is. I love love love this thing. $30. The 45 spindle alone is worth around $75 so we got an amazing deal. (Also, if anyone knows anything more about this record player could you let me know? We can't find anything about it online)

I also picked up an awesome 60s American Tourister Skyways suitcase, in navy blue wool with red and white detailing and red lining. Unfortunately I didn't get round to photographing it before I came home. I got that for $3

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
IMG_0347.jpg

1950s coffee and tea canisters. I'd like to find the matching flour and sugar canisters too. My boyfriends Grandmother used to have ones exactly the same. $3

I have the same ones. There is also a cookie and cake pan. I have the cake pan but not the cookie (it's the same size as the floor and sugar). I use them,too.
Beautyware.jpg
[/IMG]

donCarlos

Practically Family
olive bleu said:
what do people do with their stuff??
Well... I don´t really know :) I think that the old clothes are just thrown away or given to sue ryder´s or something. And the "worthless" stuff is usually just thrown away, nobody thinks about us :) The more interesting pieces are often sold to anique shops or pawn shops, where they are sold for pretty high prices. The flea markets are the only places I know where the people sell their things personally, but it´s mostly garbage and they do it just for fun....

zaika

One Too Many
i am soooo in love with my latest (and largest) find...

2421868194_84529a8bfe.jpg

2421868138_024130ce4f.jpg

i love the wooden legs

2421053641_2e9fbc4afe.jpg

i found it on craigslist for $150 for both. granted there is some cat scratch damage to the sides (not too visible) and, as you can see in the second pic, some of the fabric is coming loose at the seams and what not. i dont really mind because it' not immediately visible. LOL

and i'll have to find some sofa doilies...make it look a little nicer. hehe

i love it...love love love it.

Flivver

Practically Family
zaika said:

i love the wooden legs

i found it on craigslist for $150 for both. granted there is some cat scratch damage to the sides (not too visible) and, as you can see in the second pic, some of the fabric is coming loose at the seams and what not. i dont really mind because it' not immediately visible. LOL

Very nice!!!

I believe my grandparents had that exact living room set. They bought it new around 1925.

Putting some doilies on it will *really* make it look like my grandparents' furniture.

zaika said:

i love the wooden legs

:eek: OMG!!!! That is wonderful!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! I hate you too!!;)

zaika

One Too Many
Flivver - 1925? Really? Wonder where I could do a bit of research because that would be really wonderful. I thought it looked a little bit older than the 1940's...but the previous owners were pretty sure about the era. And..lol I really do want the thing to look like grandma's furniture...so, the doilies are coming! hehe

CherryRed lol. thanks! appreciate the hate. hehe :p

Flivver

Practically Family
I think the "overstuffed" look of your set reached its peak popularity in the mid-to-late 1920s and the early 1930s. Styles in the 1940s were much "slimmer".

Sears or Ward's catalogs are a great place to research this kind of thing.

Taggert

Familiar Face
Teekay44 said:
And this ring. Its German WWI. The winners of the Iron Cross would sometimes make signet rings. A Rare find!! $15 :D
100_3126.jpg

Drool....I have been wearing a cheapy Iron Cross ring for about 5 years now, I would KILL for a real deal one! If you happen upon another please let me know =D

Awesome find!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
hotrod_elf said:

I have the same ones. There is also a cookie and cake pan. I have the cake pan but not the cookie (it's the same size as the floor and sugar). I use them,too.
[IMG][IMG]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k20/hotrod_elf/Beautyware.jpg[/IMG]

I have 'em too! Well, I have the flour, tea, coffee, and sugar ones. Now I desperately want the cookie one!! And those ones that are mounted on your wall! Do you know the name of the style?

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I have 'em too! Well, I have the flour, tea, coffee, and sugar ones. Now I desperately want the cookie one!! And those ones that are mounted on your wall! Do you know the name of the style?

It's called Beautyware. I have a cake pan too. I've seen the cookie one once. It was the whole canister set for about $75, at the time I couldn't spend that kind of money for five pieces when I just wanted one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe