Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Maybe not everybody's cup o' tea, but I dig 'em.

Three bucks a pop at the Value Village. Solid aluminum. (Oh, they're candlesticks, by the way, if that ain't apparent.)

GEDC0956.jpg

DNO

One Too Many
tonyb: I could dig those too...nice find!

Flicka: Apparently you don't have to venture forth to a thrift shop! You just have to explore seldom used cupboards...actually something similar happened to me once, as well. Looks like a magnificent Art Nouveau vanity set...gorgeous! Congratulations.

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
Very sweet desk Flicka...congratulations on a great find. We should all be thankful for those people who hate 'old stuff'. Thank goodness there's a lot of them!

The top is interesting...it doesn't have the sort of slatted/louvred look that most roll-top desks have.

You know, I wonder how many of those people remember having something years later and kick themselves in the butt for selling it. Or losing it, whatever the item of interest is...

DNO

One Too Many
You know, I wonder how many of those people remember having something years later and kick themselves in the butt for selling it. Or losing it, whatever the item of interest is...

Trying not to be too cynical, but I suspect that they'd only be concerned if they thought they could've received more money for the item. Quite a few people place little or no value, either monetary value or emotional value, on 'old' things. Sad, but true.

I well remember obtaining a lovely First World War helmet from a lady who kept telling me that her father used to say that he wore that helmet at Passchendaele. She placed no importance on the fact that her own father kept this item as a memento of one of the most horrific battles of the 20th century...it was just something to get rid of that was cluttering up the basement. I still have it and frankly will never get rid of it because, to me, it's a treasure. I have a number of similar items...all treasures to me but disposable junk to the people who had inherited them.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Open:
Last week I bought two new (or rather, used but new to me) kitchen chairs for my 40s-50s inspired kitchen:

ae3dacf8.jpg

Seems my colour-scheme is going to white/yellow/red/sky blue. Not intended; it just happened! :)

I'm not sure, since I can't see the rest of the chair, but it looks like a nice Windsor style chair. That would be period correct for anything between the 1950's all the way back to the 1750's.

I haven't done anything with it, yet. It's still sitting there, right behind me. It's on my mile-long to-do list lol

Tom: Have you gotten the Victrola working yet? Lizzie Maine can probably tell you how to make it work. I'm curious how it sounds. That cabinet is a horn speaker, and I think you'll be amazed at the tremendous volume you get out of it.

I haven't done anything with it, yet. It's still sitting there, right behind me. It's on my mile-long to-do list lol

That reminds me, oh King of Vintage Phones, I rescued a phone from the garbage can of my neighbor. It has one of those four prong plugs. I understand that you have to get a converter for that so that you can use it. Where might I find one of those?

It looks like this except yellow:
AAAAC-wNv_YAAAAAAJ4cSw.jpg

Flicka

One Too Many
I'm not sure, since I can't see the rest of the chair, but it looks like a nice Windsor style chair. That would be period correct for anything between the 1950's all the way back to the 1750's.

We call them 'pinnstolar' and the basic model has been used for a few hundred years, with variations due to changing fashions.

109b9462.jpg

My chairs look like this,with a round seat. The seller claimed they were 50s and my mother says that exact model was popular when she grew up (she's born in 1950). Older chairs usually have a wider top board and the seats are usually not a perfect circle. Anyway, it's massive wood and great workmanship!

You have two options. They sell adapters on eBay. They're called something like 4-prong to modular adapters. I go the cheaper route, myself. I have tons of telephone cord laying around, I strip the wires and put connectors on them, put them on the connector block inside the phone, where the wires are for the 4-prong cord, and just use that cord instead.

That reminds me, oh King of Vintage Phones, I rescued a phone from the garbage can of my neighbor. It has one of those four prong plugs. I understand that you have to get a converter for that so that you can use it. Where might I find one of those?

It looks like this except yellow:
AAAAC-wNv_YAAAAAAJ4cSw.jpg

You have two options. They sell adapters on eBay. They're called something like 4-prong to modular adapters. I go the cheaper route, myself. I have tons of telephone cord laying around, I strip the wires and put connectors on them, put them on the connector block inside the phone, where the wires are for the 4-prong cord, and just use that cord instead.

It works fine that way?

I'm not in love with this chair, but I'm kinda warming up to it. For $12.99 plus tax I couldn't pass on it. It's all-leather upholstery, which shows significant wear (which I prefer to call "patina"). But it has no tears, and there's no sign it ever lived with a cat.

GEDC0963.jpg

I'm sure I would have paid little if any attention to this book, which I spotted in a window display at a women's vintage clothing store in Tacoma, had I not seen dinerman's post earlier this day.

Sorry for the crummy image. It's about the best I could do with my iPhone.

IMG_0221.jpg

Last edited:
This one I've had for awhile, but it's been hanging in the gun shop. Art Ramsey used to run the gun shop in Pardeeville years ago, so it seemed a fitting place.

GEDC0111.jpg

GEDC0109.jpg

Picked up a few of these. Gave some to my mom, as she collects milk bottles, so order sheets seemed appropriate to go along.

GEDC0118.jpg

GEDC0115.jpg

I just had to have this!

GEDC0113.jpg

GEDC0114.jpg

I also got some ties that I'll post over in the 'Show us your ties' thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe