Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Thrift and/or yard sale finds

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
They had three other similar ones, but this was in the best repair and had the nicest base. $6. I need to find a shade for it.

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

Great deal on a great lamp. As AET observed, those babes are getting harder to find.

Looks like you'll be needing a glass diffuser from which to hang that new shade, too. Unless you get lucky and find a secondhand one, that'll probably set you back more than twice what you paid for the lamp itself. But that's still only some teens of dollars, so you're still getting in cheap.

How's the workings? I've encountered more than a few glitchy old mogul sockets. Fortunately, they're easy to find and cost only some teens of dollars as well. Then they oughta be good for another several decades.

Last edited:
They had three other similar ones, but this was in the best repair and had the nicest base. $6. I need to find a shade for it.

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2410.jpg

The lighted base madels are definitely worth getting. A new difuser bowl cost me $16 for the last one I bought. Then I found one at an estate sale for $1 last weekend. They are out there and people have no idea what they are for so knowledge is on your side.

They look like this installed:
images

There are several sizes. You will likely need a 2 7/8" diameter fitter on the bowl which will likely be about 5 3/8" tall and 10" at the top diameter. The shade will have to be at least 11" in diameter as the mogul base bulbs can get pretty hot if you leave them on for long periods. You can also get the candle cover replacements to slip over the sockets as you see in the above picture.
This place has all the parts but they aren't exactly cheap: http://www.antiquelampsupply.com/help/01HowToCandleCover.php
It is a good resource site for the parts though. :D

I'm having a heckuva time trying to date this lamp. Anybody got a guess?

Not that anyone asked, but I'm thinkin' a tiered fiberglass shade would work well on it. Something like one of these guys ...

GEDC0912.jpg

GEDC0913.jpg

The first one is a flea market find. I can't recall right off hand what I paid for the floor lamp with shade, but it wouldn't have been more than 20 bucks. But it needed a glass diffuser and a new mogul socket and a power cord and wall plug, so add another 35 bucks or so.

The second one, the table lamp and the shade, was a gift from a friend, who I think found it at a garage sale. The fiberglass had separated from the metal rings most of the way around, but gluing it back together (with Elmer's Glue-All, the same stuff we used back in grade school) was surprisingly easy and effective.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't think that's it! I bought them mostly because I thought they were curious. Originally I thought they might be sock-suspenders...but then for that, you'd need the leg-bands...What are they?

I'm inclined to think that they MIGHT be shirt-garters/shirt-stays...but they look far too short for that. At best, they're only about three inches long (not including the clips).

Can anyone tell me what they are?

Last edited:

Warbaby

One Too Many
I found this N.O.S. cassette adaptor for 8-track players at the Salvation Army store yesterday for two bucks. I don't have an 8-track player and don't really have a use for it, but it was too cool to pass up.

Mona8Track1-10.jpg

Mona8Track2-10.jpg

Mona8Track4-10.jpg

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I know it's not the golden era, but those 70-80's soaps are a little piece of my childhood and I'm glad I found them. As it's obvious from the picture, "serik" means lilac.
DSCN4010.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe