Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

djd

Practically Family
imageyhz.jpg

I finally got around to paying for my suit from Ravistailor last month (measured for it last summer!). I'm very pleased with the result although this picture hardly does it justice. Pants are high waisted and fish-tailed with 2" turn-ups. Jacket has a half belt at the back, working sleeve buttons and is made of a wool/silk italian tweed fabic. I really wanted something with a real 30's vibe and I think they're nailed it.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Really cool. The chest is full without being to baggy. Great silhouette. The lapels look cool too. Do you have a picture of the beltback?How was the communication with Ravis Tailor? Did you bring pictures or just described the details with words?

djd

Practically Family
Really cool. The chest is full without being to baggy. Great silhouette. The lapels look cool too. Do you have a picture of the beltback?How was the communication with Ravis Tailor? Did you bring pictures or just described the details with words?

Thanks chaps. Communication was fine. I sent them a couple of photos of a suit I liked but they have a design very similar to this without the back belt on their books already. I was originally going to go for the action pleats and full deal on the back but eventually decided to keep a more tailored look and just incorporate the belt as a feature. The construction seems good. All the main buttons are backed with small plastic buttons to prevent any pull on the fabric which is a nice feature. There's a bright yellow piping along the interior seam where the lining joins the inner facing which again is nicely done. Shame the fabric doesn't really show up well in these pictures but it's a very attractive greeny / golden brown herringbone. Much lighter weight than a Harris type tweed so you could wear it all year round in this climate. I'll post a pic of the back later.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Interesting thrift shop pickup. Custom tailored in Hong Kong. Stitch-line lapel "buttonhole", selvedge- trimmed pockets, button fly, single flapped back pocket, link-closure two button. All the buttons, even on the inside pockets are nicely shanked.
IMG_2213.jpg

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

IMG_2223.jpg

IMG_2224.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

The trousers really make this. Wonderful detailing. I prefer a split at the back, but that's as much stylistic as anything for non-fishtail belted trousers, I think.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Patrick wonderful vintage suit! I love the trousers.

DJD: the suit turned out quite nice, what do the trousers look like?

djd

Practically Family
Trousers are good! High waisted (about an inch above belly button), buttons for braces, no belt loops, fish tail back, 2" turn-ups

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
imageyhz.jpg

I finally got around to paying for my suit from Ravistailor last month (measured for it last summer!). I'm very pleased with the result although this picture hardly does it justice. Pants are high waisted and fish-tailed with 2" turn-ups. Jacket has a half belt at the back, working sleeve buttons and is made of a wool/silk italian tweed fabic. I really wanted something with a real 30's vibe and I think they're nailed it.

Great looking suit. It does look like a drape suit in this photo. I'd definitely like to see more pics of you wearing it.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I know this is a modern suit without much style, but it's my first wool suit (I used to wear a black polyester suit, and I have thankfully since lost too much weigh to ever wear it again). I bought it from Land's End a few months ago, and I'm in no position to return it, so it's mine until it wears out. I'd like to get a few opinions as to how it fits. These aren't great quality photographs, but I think they're good representations of what you'd actually see.

Does my suit fit OK, even if it has flaws? Any style advice for this, or what my next suit may be?

From yesterday at university. I don't usually wear suits, but I wore it out of respect for a Holocaust survivor guest-lecturing my class:

IMG_0360-1.jpg

From side-angles three months ago, smaller pics:

Photoon2011-12-11at14413.jpg

Photoon2011-12-11at14393.jpg

Fedora picture, from some time ago:

Photoon2011-12-11at14442.jpg

For what it is, do I pull the look off right? Thank you!

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congrats on the first wool suit. I think it fits fine on the body/chest. The sleeves have a modern lenght which is ok. The legs seem too long but I don't know how short you can go with modern trousers[huh] This isn't meant to sound off putting but you know vintage suits just hang and drape different.[huh]

I think the red tie works better because the blue is too close on the color of the shirt. Maybe a dark blue would do the trick.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
@The Good - overall, very nice suit. I agree with what's been said regarding the ties; the pale blue shirt compliments the suit quite nicely, but the blue tie is too close to it. The red tie is much better. The blue tie is very classy though and you could pull it off with a white shirt. My only other point would be to suggest that you either have your jacket sleeves shortened (preferably not) or get a shirt that's longer in the sleeve so that you show about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of shirt cuff.

May I ask, is your suit by chance made by Pronto Uomo? The suit I wore today is very similar in cut and appears to be of an almost identical, if not identical material to yours.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Flat Foot Floey and Gin&Tonics: Thanks, it's not a suit I actually plan to have tailored. It's a cheap Land's End "Year'rounder" suit from the suit separates (pants and jacket). I chose the tailored jacket, and the flat front, traditional fit pants (their tailored chinos are too skin-tight for me). I wish there was an option in between traditional and tailored fit, but it's either one extreme or the other, and I don't think the traditional fit pants are bad, but I could have done without the full break.

As for the tie and shirt combination, at the time I was in an awful hurry to get out the door. Otherwise, I might have thought about the white shirt instead. Also, a knit tie could work really well too. I'm actually thinking about getting a grenadine tie made in midnight blue, as I find the square-bottom of knits to be a bit off-putting right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe