Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

suits lover

A-List Customer
Fichier1.jpg

My double-breasted suit.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Very nice Swedish tailored black lounge/stroller suit. Three piece, three button jacket with notch lapels. Very nice waistcoat and very British style trousers.

402784811.jpg

402754175.jpg

402754172.jpg

402754174.jpg

402754176.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The color and stripes look good to me. The lapels are modern, yes. I would still prefer it over 70s lapels or über-slim mad men styles.

There is no use moaning though. If you don't like it you could get a vintage one. You seem to have the perfect size and will get the stuff at least 60% cheaper than the bigger guys. I am not making this up. :cool:

Mark B.

One of the Regulars
I keep moaning about it, but here it is. My ONE and ONLY suit:

IMG_1209.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it is GHASTLY.
I believe it would fall under the pleasantly ghastly category:D.......Seriously.... It isn't that bad...with the right hat....mmmmm[huh]

Mario

I'll Lock Up
lol This comes along like your average football player statement, Andreas Möller style: "Milan or Madrid - as long as it's Italy!"... ;)

But never mind - you're not alone: For the life of me I can't remember the capitals of the three baltic states. They just won't stick and so I keep mixing them up time and time again. :D

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
lol This comes along like your average football player statement, Andreas Möller style: "Milan or Madrid - as long as it's Italy!"... ;)

But never mind - you're not alone: For the life of me I can't remember the capitals of the three baltic states. They just won't stick and so I keep mixing them up time and time again. :D

Yes, not one of my finest geographic moments... I can only say in my defence because I think Greta Garbo and Ingrid Bergman were two of the most beautiful Golden Era stars and they both came from Sweden that I default to Sweden whenever I think of Scandinavia...

While I'm no good for the Baltic Capitals I do remember from geography class that Baltics are are alphabetical from north to south if ever in doubt ;) (well at at least in English they are...)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I keep moaning about it, but here it is. My ONE and ONLY suit:

IMG_1209.jpg

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it is GHASTLY.

Oh come now, Shangas! It's really not that bad (from what we can see here) Nothing wrong with gray and a subtle tonal stripe. Match it up with an odd waistcoat, the right tie and one of your splendid hats and you're away to the races! Is it one of those 3 roll to 2 button setups? My gray suit is like that.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Here's a photo of one of my recent eBay suit acquisitions. It's a brown three-piece with fine pinstriping (though you can't tell in the photo). Not as vintage as I'd like, probably early 80s (?), but I really like the way it fits.

580021_10151851643575077_1568314012_n.jpg

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
39 Cents for a '50s suit!

Fact: Goodwill stores are like fishing. If you're patient and keep coming back, you'll land something grand sooner or later!

I won the thrifting lottery today with a University Seal '50s suit, very similar to this one. Mine is a gorgeous tan with green pinstripes, which jives well with my new woodland home. Here's a photo of the suit and new surroundings.

NewSuit_06-18-12.JPG

-Steven

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Fact: Goodwill stores are like fishing. If you're patient and keep coming back, you'll land something grand sooner or later!

I won the thrifting lottery today with a University Seal '50s suit, very similar to this one. Mine is a gorgeous tan with green pinstripes, which jives well with my new woodland home. Here's a photo of the suit and new surroundings. -Steven

Ahh, Goodwill. It can be great, but there are times when it's so horribly frustrating, like when you find a treasure of a vintage suit in pristine condition, but the sleeves are too short or some other minor but ultimately unfix-able problem emerges.

You did indeed win the thrifting lottery! What a fantastic suit! I love the green tie and brown fedora combo with it; very earthy tones that strike the right note for summery weather. Bravo!

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
What a fantastic suit! I love the green tie and brown fedora combo with it; very earthy tones that strike the right note for summery weather. Bravo!

Thank you very much, sir! Your reply means more to me than meets the eye at first, as your interpretation of the earthy tones was exactly what I hoped the outfit would "say." I'm a resident of the rural woods now, so I can't think of a better combination.

And yes, sleeve lengths... I'd love to know why so many shirts are too long and so many suits too short. At least we all make a lucky find at least once in a blue moon!

-Steven

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Despite what MonsterVintage says, I'm leaning more towards a late '60s date on that suit, Swing Motorman.
Looks good, though.

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Hi Dinerman,

I concluded it was '50s from the union tag, not the website. It has the tag without the (R) on it, which I usually associate with the '50s. I guess it was actually used from 1949-1962 or so.

You may be right, of course. It does have some 60's-ish features, like the trouser pockets shown in the link. Funny you should mention it, there's a late '60s University Seal suit in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Apparently they hold it up as an icon of fashion experimentation, and the trousers sure look "experimental" compared to those on my new suit. Hm, maybe my suit is late '50s/early '60s and was just experimental or progressive for the time?

Either way, thanks for the input!

-Steven

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I base the date on the style of lapels, lack of a buttonhole, 4 button front, scalloped jacket pockets, square bottom, style of the trouser pockets, cut of the trousers, all things which you see on late '60s or early '70s suits and not on earlier ones. Union tags are pretty unreliable- I've seen those 1949 tags on suits going into the '80s.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
One of my recent ebay acquisitions.

IMAG0519-1.jpg

Sorry for the bad cell phone pic. Here is a close up of the colour and pattern.

IMAG0520-1.jpg

I have a question for you chaps in the know. What colour and pattern of vest would go well with this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe