Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your suits

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Since forever, as far as I know.

My grey suit (now off for alterations) makes a cameo appearance in my new passport.

Erm...Jovan...you might want to also black out those numbers all along the bottom edge....as they are the machine readable version of the same info......in the wrong hands.....

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
about right. it didn't change much . . .

So, what did you mean by "The button stance would suggest a mid 40s date, but those lapels are very 30s"?
33.gif

"would suggest" was my error (let's blame the paint-stripper rum). I should have said: would be possible. Button stance is not a good way to date a jacket - other than the comparison to the mid 80s/early 90s suit; think Armani et al. super low waist.

Basically, my take on this jacket is that - presuming one does not know any dating info - that it could come from any time in the Golden Era. in other words: Classic.

bk

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
:whistling Scott, that is one SHARP suit you have there.
Hard to believe it wasn't made for you.
Anxious to learn more about it, as I'm sure you (and all of us) are.

I see this with a very pale blue shirt and a red dotted or figured tie that picks up the blue of the color stripe.

Fredo

New in Town
The Loungerati crew having smokes at Lexington Bar & Books, NYC circa 2003. The fellas are in suits of course, with yours truly topping it off with a silk Paul Stewart ascot.

fellas.jpg

Photo compliments of Effervescent.

Jovan

Suspended
Miss Neecerie said:
Erm...Jovan...you might want to also black out those numbers all along the bottom edge....as they are the machine readable version of the same info......in the wrong hands.....
$#!%!!! Thank you, Miss Neecerie; I didn't realize that. Reuploading another pic now.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
since Baron is keeping us in suspense i'm going to offer my reason for why i think Scotrace's suit is recent: the working cuff buttons. bespoke tailors just didn't bother with working cuff buttons back then (unless you're talking about clothing made for doctors or vets). they only took off from the mid 80s onward.

there are other reasons too, but they're more to do with the overall look, not specifics.

Jovan

Suspended
Interesting take. I know Savile Row tailors definitely didn't like doing them, but would do them if asked. Only the front two, anyway... helps with alterations should people pass their suits onto a slightly different proportioned son/grandson, which they were able to do back then with RTW and bespoke alike. Try getting a lifetime of use out of a cheap RTW today... won't work.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Hey, at least we're made look at details. Interesting details I hadn't mentioned yet:
- Is that three pleats, with the two outer having a smaller distance?
- I'm not an expert, but the striped lining might tell one a lot. In fact, that might be the one feature.

And how is that about the hideaway pocket flap in vintage jackets?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
herringbonekid said:
since Baron is keeping us in suspense i'm going to offer my reason for why i think Scotrace's suit is recent: the working cuff buttons. bespoke tailors just didn't bother with working cuff buttons back then (unless you're talking about clothing made for doctors or vets). they only took off from the mid 80s onward.

there are other reasons too, but they're more to do with the overall look, not specifics.

That may be true for some SR houses, but I get the feeling that others were happy to do them--usually with the lower two cut and finished, and the upper two sham. I've seen (and sold) two or three Savile Row suits from the '50s-'60s that had this arrangement. I know one was Henry Poole; don't remember the others.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
so 3 pleats dates it to when ?

i was thinking American with regard to the cuff buttonholes, but i guess i shouldn't have presumed it's an American suit.
regardless, my later-than-'85 guess still stands.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Stunning suit Scott!!!

If pressed to guess its age this suit creates some difficulties. OK, first, the rope shoulders were most used in the late 30s. the pant's could be 30s but have more of a 40's look to me. The rise is right but no belt loops throws some question in. You are right BK, the closure ( button stance) is a tiny bit low but the angle of the breast pocket appears right. As for the functional cuffs, that's been done over the last 80 yrs so isn't the best indicator. The darting is correct for late 30's, jacket height is correct ( or very close to it), rear darting and no vent. To my eye this suit is either 1938-1943 or an incredible reproduction (bespoke) of the era.
In any case, it's pretty darned terrific!!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
You gentlemen are quite, quite impressive. Thanks for the many kind words - it really makes me happy to share it with people who know this stuff.

It's bespoke, made in the early-mid 1990's and designed to closely emulate 30's style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe