Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your SHOES !!!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Hey, share the promo code! Actually I'm more interested to know how wide "wide" is. Is it EEE wide or just D or E wide?

HA! Welcome to modern American Shoes! Aside from AE & Alden, it's pretty much a "one size fits all" mentality for U.S. shoes. Contact J&M and ask them. D is medium, and I believe the W is basically an E width. Wider than that??? fuggeddaboutit.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
feltfan,

Hey, share the promo code! Actually I'm more interested to know how wide "wide" is. Is it EEE wide or just D or E wide?

I expect wide is an E which should work for me. If I leave my orthotics out it should work fine. Sorry, don't recall the code, I just searched the web for a few minutes until I found one that worked.

Foxer55

A-List Customer
isshinryu,

HA! Welcome to modern American Shoes! Aside from AE & Alden, it's pretty much a "one size fits all" mentality for U.S. shoes. Contact J&M and ask them. D is medium, and I believe the W is basically an E width. Wider than that??? fuggeddaboutit.

Yeah, what is it with that anyway? They make these shoes with these stupid long, narrow toe boxes. You can barely find wide shoes in any stores. As far as I can tell, department stores don't sell wide shoes, only ordinary sizes.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Geez, up the creek with no paddles? lol!

If you are looking for a decent pair of vintage looking shoes, for the money, check out Remix Vintage shoes....I think they leave some of the competition in the dust....

decent enough at a quick glance. Of course they have 0 competition, so being #1 is only so much of an accomplishment

Mr. Speakeasy

One of the Regulars
Here's an old pair of shoes I got a few years ago, they were sold to me at the time as from the 1920's or 30's. I think that's probably accurate, though they might be 40's....
What do you guys think?

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am going to take the plunge and say at least 1940's maybe even older. I will base that on a few things. First the cracking on the waist area of the sole, and the heel itself. I have had a pair of shoes with that sole on them, they were two tone black and white split toe shoes. They belonged to my Great Grandfather before they ended up in my closet, from at least 1940 or earlier for sure.
I would start drowning them in conditioner before the leather rots on you, and after a week or so of drenching them in leather conditioner, shove some shoe trees in them and let them sit for a while (day or two) then wipe them and get some cream polish on them. Drench them inside and out with the leather conditioner. They should literally use at least 3 ounces of good conditioner, you can see how dry they are....may have some history behind those shoes, you know like maybe Jack Benny wore them while checking out palm springs and left them in the sand? You never know. But those are really a nice find, not something you are going to see every day. You can bring them back to life with some work on them. It appears they have had "half sole" replacements, I would have someone remove the heels, pull the soles, re sole them and put the original heels back on. Those shoes are worth it.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Very nice. Please post more pics.

l love the old vintage orange brown colour and the styles of John's shoes are unique and a good sample of his 1950's ltalian heritage as a cobbler in the poor part if Italian villages.

The new bespoke:
ae14b5ae-3d66-457b-823b-1994f1a8ac0b_zps695a7e13.jpg

Last years bespoke
5ff78771-b4dc-48fd-b763-e8b43fac22a9_zps05356900.jpg

Bespoke trial shoe
f3194a7a-282b-4b43-aa07-9162de8b08fc_zps71ddf8e0.jpg

They all look much better in person.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Here's an old pair of shoes I got a few years ago, they were sold to me at the time as from the 1920's or 30's. I think that's probably accurate, though they might be 40's....
What do you guys think?

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco2_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco3_1280.jpg

tumblr_miudxzxBmf1qhhvpco4_1280.jpg

1940's shoes. That cracking is a result of getting wet, then drying too fast. Possibly laid near a heat source right after coming in from the rain. Not uncommon for a man to lay his wet clothes by a fire to dry them. Fine for cotton, but bad for leather. The sole cracking is a sure tell-tale sign of this.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
It appears they have had "half sole" replacements, I would have someone remove the heels, pull the soles, re sole them and put the original heels back on. Those shoes are worth it.

Those are replacement heels. Why save them and put back on? Keep in mind the original owner's foot shape and style of walking and standing has started to wear them in a manner consistent with his particulars. Best to start fresh and wear the heels specifically for your own needs.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Those are replacement heels. Why save them and put back on? Keep in mind the original owner's foot shape and style of walking and standing has started to wear them in a manner consistent with his particulars. Best to start fresh and wear the heels specifically for your own needs.

True but if they were mine I would desire to keep the original heels if at all possible. Hard to find some vintage replacement heels today for those, unless he opts to have some leather heel plates made up. The cracking of the soles takes time, I do agree it may have been due to a heat source, being very wet (some evidence of the inside of the shoes shows stains associated with that some). Those shoes are well worth putting some restoration money into. Overall they are a nice find.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
l love the old vintage orange brown colour and the styles of John's shoes are unique and a good sample of his 1950's ltalian heritage as a cobbler in the poor part if Italian villages.

The new bespoke:
ae14b5ae-3d66-457b-823b-1994f1a8ac0b_zps695a7e13.jpg

Last years bespoke
5ff78771-b4dc-48fd-b763-e8b43fac22a9_zps05356900.jpg

Bespoke trial shoe
f3194a7a-282b-4b43-aa07-9162de8b08fc_zps71ddf8e0.jpg

They all look much better in person.

I'd love to own all three pairs of those shoes, very handsome style. You are very lucky to own them.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

Do these sort of bring out the "animal" in ya? lol! NOT mine......(I think they may have escaped from the Zoo)....lol!

But take a look at these.....weeeeeeeeee haaaawww!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

Do these sort of bring out the "animal" in ya? lol! NOT mine......(I think they may have escaped from the Zoo)....lol!

But take a look at these.....weeeeeeeeee haaaawww!

Norvegese Stitched (a historically Italian technique, but found elsewhere as well). My favorite (by far) modern shoe genre. Own around a dozen and a half pairs. When it is "real" (the stitching you see on the uppers actually holds the shoes together), they are 100% handmade and vastly superior to Goodyear welted shoes. The style, I believe, comes directly from the U.S. late 40's- 50's... the heyday of the Gunboat. Big welts and contrasting welt stitches live on in Norvegese.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe