Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Purchases!

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
My latest acquisition:

8p89w9

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I bought this Nine West purse recently at a thrift shop for $2.99.

DSCF2086.jpg

These are all things I bought in Mexico a few months back and never posted.

handmade pewter bowl
DSCF2065.jpg

and trivets. pewter trivets are like $1 apiece there. I couldn't believe how cheap everything was!
DSCF2070.jpg

small handbag made out of recycled candybar wrappers!
DSCF2059.jpg

handmade vase. I don't know what this particular style is called, but I didn't see it very many places and I fell in love with it. All of the colored glaze is slightly raised and the patterns were all very intricate. Sorry for the slightly blurry photo!
DSCF2063.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Paul said:
I know this sounds stupid of me , I did not know you had ration books. I have seen loads on the web about the UK and ration books / clothing coupon nothing about the USA .
Any how a great find as I bet most people destroyed there book after rationing ended as a celebration .

You learn something every day:D
Ration books were also used in Australia

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Just won two nacre (?) art deco buckles on Ebay :D

de3e_1.JPG

Crappy pic, but I shall post better ones once I receive them, should be here next week. Damages €12.25 :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
an amazing and rare 1940s dress

This amazing studded three color wool crepe dress was found on evilBay. Its in near perfect condition, and fits me like a dream! Its a bit long but has its original thread belt carriers, so the dress will be shortened and a belt made from the cut material. I wore this with cream/off white accessories.
364649061.jpg

364650276.jpg

364649103.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Hello LilyP and thank you! I think I've found the ultimate 40a dress/style for me in this one! The final price I got this for was amazing too! I've got a master deco seamstress out here that I'll be taking this dress to to copy and create a pattern for me from it, and make it for me in various versions in other colors of wool crepe. She'll be shortening it and making the belt for me.

My early 40s style icon/role model is actress Isobel Elsom who played Mrs. Maria Castro, Rita Hayworth's godmother in the 1942 film "You Were Never Lovelier". She was my age at the time of the film (she was 49, I'm 50) and even my height (she was 5'4", I'm 5'3-1/2"). I've watched her carefully over and over again in every scene she's in in this film, looking at each ensemble she wore.

From what I can tell her dress and skirts lengths are practically all the same throughout, about two inches from the bottom of her knees. So I'm going with that, and will for all future vintage pattern dresses and suits I may have made for me.

They say if you find a skirt length that works for you figure and height to try to stick with that, despite the whims of fashion. So for my 40s clothes I'm going to try to work close to this for my wool dresses and any suits skirts.

Lily Powers said:
chanteuse Carey the detailing on that center section is really gorgeous. The dress suits you - you just glow in it. How short are you going to take it?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I haven't had much luck finding vintage undergarments in my size. If this one fits, I might take it apart and make a pattern from it.

3fb4_1.JPG

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up this little pair of shoes on Ebay. Nothing special, but very cheap and I really need a pair of white shoes to wear with several of my dresses!

2031_1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe