Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
WoeSis said:
Hmm, not necessarily a true recreation - here's how i tend to wear my hair daily.

127148484_077344a063.jpg

It's so easy to do, too. i mousse my hair once it's dry and part my hair across the top of my head from ear to ear. i part the front section as usual and then curl (i use a curling iron) the sides of my hair upwards. (My hot tip - when removing the curling iron, do not unroll the curl. Rather, loosen the curl a bit and slide the iron out leaving the curl largely intact. Then clip the curl in place to allow it to cool completely.) Once the front of my hair has cooled, i unclip a curl, back comb it a tad until all the curls on one side have been back-combed. Then i simply smoothe and shape the upsweep, clip in place and go on to the next side. Once both sides are done - i curl the back of my hair with the iron (as seen below), or i simply snood it.

113531935_77e23d18a1_m.jpg

i hope that my discription isn't too vague. i keep telling myself that one of these days i will construct a proper tutorial complete with step-by-step photos.

I'm looking forward to that tutorial. I have the toughest time with hair.

Ladies, this thread has been hugely helpful for me! I can't thank you enough!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap Dottie, the hair looks great! The last couple of weeks I've been starting to put my hair in rollers and learn how to style it...it's fun, but I've learned you also need a technique so that your hair curls in the right direction!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The trick is to curl the hair on each side towards your face, taking neat sections of about one inch. The hair on the back of the head should be curled under. You don't need to curl the hair that will be reverse rolled back from your face; the process of setting shapes and melds the hair so that it will easily form the shape of a roll. In addition, back combing adds extra texture and control and further helps the rolling process.

cadence

New in Town
Thanks for that RetroModelSari and Jitterbugdoll. I had absolutely no clue!! do you know of any websites that might have the instructions on how to make one?

cadence

New in Town
Ok! yesterday I tried to do my hair. It worked, but unsucessfully... I do have the basic structure worked out, i just need to practice so I can make the rolls (I have no idea what they are called) bigger and of course neater! I hope the pics work.
hair.jpg

and this was the final result!
hair2.jpg

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
To make a hair rat, collect and save the hair in your hair brush. When you have a fair amount (2-3 handfulls), you basically rub/roll the hair until it forms a flat pancake, then roll it into a sausage shape and put it in a old stocking. You can use the rat without putting it into a stocking, but doing so keeps it neater.

To get your rolls bigger and firmer, back comb, back comb, back comb! That is really the trick to maximizing the size and texture of your hair. It makes it so much easier to roll too, because it helps reduce the natural slickness straight hair often has.

cadence

New in Town
Thanks for that jitterbugdoll!! I'll give it a go. I'm going to Brisbane for a couple of months and I probably won't be on until I get back...that should give me plenty of practice, so when I get back i'll post some pics of my efforts after practicing and we'll see if i get any better. lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
The trick is to curl the hair on each side towards your face, taking neat sections of about one inch. The hair on the back of the head should be curled under. You don't need to curl the hair that will be reverse rolled back from your face; the process of setting shapes and melds the hair so that it will easily form the shape of a roll. In addition, back combing adds extra texture and control and further helps the rolling process.
so then do you start by parting the hair down the middle? then put in curlers going towards the face?
another thing I love about curlers is the volume it creates with hair since normally my hair doesn't do much of anything!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
No, only part your hair in the center if that is your regular part. Otherwise, part it on the side it naturally wants to part on (or the side you like it parted on best.) I part my hair on the left side as I have a widow's peak that causes it to naturally part on that side (in other words, try not to fight nature too much.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
New Curler Recommendation

A while back my hairdresser gave me a collection of his grandmother's 1930s curlers. There were metal curlers as well as rubber curlers, which looked a bit like mini perm rods. The rubber curlers worked like a dream, creating "Shirley Temple" curls that brushed out into perfect 40s curls and waves. However, the 70-year old rubber was starting to fall apart, and I decided I wanted to preserve the rollers. So I went back to using sponge rollers (the smallest size available), with comparable results. However, last night I picked up a product similar to the rubber curlers. Made by Goody, they are foam rods with scalloped edges and flower tops. You roll your hair around the rod and the close it, forming a faux pin curl in a fashion like Hot Sticks, and also like those rubber curlers did. When dry, my hair was in Shirley Temple curls again, and the set turned out gorgeous. I highly recommend this product :)

They run about $5 for 16 curlers.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hi Jitterbugdoll,

Were the curlers like these?

f08590_dt.jpg

I've had my eye on these "spoolies" at the Vermont Country Store for awhile but I didn't know if they'd work. $12.90 for 48 curlers. Link and description below.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=30718&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=30718

Remember Spoolies? Our Hair Spools Are Pinless and Pliable

Unlike conventional hair rollers, which are hard and unforgiving, these tried-and-true hair spools are made of soft, pliable plastic so you can leave them in overnight and still get a good night's sleep. Simply wrap your hair around the center of the spool and fold over the large end to secure. Small spools measure 1" long and create 1/2" curls. 24 spools per pack.
Features:

Made of soft plastic
No need to remove before going to bed
No annoying pins to fuss with
With Hair Spools you can set your hair and still get a comfortable night's sleep.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Nope! I have tried vintage spoolies and they did not work. Just slid right out! My old hairdresser (who trained in the 60s) had told me they were worthless, but I bought a vintage set just to be sure--and he was right. Didn't do a thing for me!

The rubber curlers I am referring to are like these, and came in two sizes (the small ones as seen here, and ones twice as long):
curlers1.jpg

They work great but are very delicate and will break with repeated use :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe