Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I have been wondering what I can do with my hair, it is long and very curly, and I have tons of it. I guess I can try rolls and leaving the back down. Did gals with curly hair keep it short? I'm afraid if I cut my hair it will spring out like a big mushroom.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It depends on the era you are going for, but woman weren't stuck with one or two particular lengths. There were major trends, and just like in today's times, not everyone followed them. Now, even girls with natural curly hair would set their hair in order to coax it into the proper wave/curl pattern.

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
DancingSweetie said:
I have been wondering what I can do with my hair, it is long and very curly, and I have tons of it...

I've known a few girls with hair similar to yours; they had it bobbed, but layered at the same time, so it didn't poof out. They added setting lotion to it when wet, also, and let it dry by itself (sometimes in wave clips to tame the curls into a more Marcel-looking wave.) I don't have curly hair naturally, but it is very thick- I remember I had to have it layered when the length went below my shoulders (years and yeeears ago) as I had those 'poof' issues, too. :)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Here's my new color and hairstyle,after viewing my pics from VLV I became self-conscious that my forehead is too large and decided to add bangs.
Also,as silly as it sounds I wanted a haircolor that suited my nickname.
I had to fake the rolls a bit since my hair is still fairly short and layered in the front,but it's making progress.

What's the general consesus?

Without bangs?
47b6d824b3127cce898bb3a1db8100000016109AbOXLFk0bS

or with bangs?
44b3a1f639bb8.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
Hi Rubyredlocks,
Nice 'do and color... I think both looks are good...but have you thought of having bangs a tiny bit shorter? I think a shorter bang (well this has been my experience) "opens up" your face more (less shadow on your eyes and brow) while still providing forehead coverage.

(Edit: I finally got a decent "middy" haircut and the fellow was very vintage-knowledgable, showing me how to set it properly etc, yay! Now I just have to find a similarly talented hairdresser who doesn't charge $90 for the whole experience) :(

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Hi Magneto-Thanks for the advice,which is too funny since I got that pic last week and immediately had my friend cut them shorter the next day.They grow so fast,though.I wish the rest of my hair grew as quickly.
Congrats on finding a reputable hairdresser!
So,when are we gonna see some pics of your new do?;)

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Her hair looks like a rich auburn in that pic.I've done it for fall before,that's the plus side of reds fading quickly it's easy to vary the shades knowing nothing will last.
Thanks for the compliment!:)

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
That's it! You ladies have inspired me to try to do pincurls. I hope I don't end up with a fro. I'm terrible with hair.

I will post pictures of the final product.

I'm even thinking about getting going to Kim Long in SF to get some vintage hair styling classes or something.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Well...
I just did the pregnant girl thing of completely lopping off the hair and just when it was getting good,:eusa_doh: !
Honestly,it feels much better,it is much too hot here in texas and with my morning (all day) sickness I just don't have the energy to fix it,and it's not the type of hair that does well unfixed.
So,for pregnancy I'm re-adapting my look between flapperish (think Betty Boop)and Audreyish.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Just cut it on monday and we have no camera (digital stolen at a wedding we attended)so we have to rely on other people taking pics or for special occasions we buy a disposable.
Hopefully,I'll have something to show soon.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
rubyredlocks said:
Well...
I just did the pregnant girl thing of completely lopping off the hair and just when it was getting good,:eusa_doh: !
Honestly,it feels much better,it is much too hot here in texas and with my morning (all day) sickness I just don't have the energy to fix it,and it's not the type of hair that does well unfixed.
So,for pregnancy I'm re-adapting my look between flapperish (think Betty Boop)and Audreyish.
I did the same thing a little after my third girl was born, and loved it! I actually wouldn't mind having that style again except the mister isn't too keen on having his woman cut her hair anytime too soon :) I agree with you, during the summer, shorter hair feels so much better and it's also a lot easier to style, which will be very nice when baby comes along since it's the first 3 or 4 months when the new mom is a bit busy trying to work out a new schedule and take care of an infant! There's a brush I found that I loved having when I had that kind of hairstyle; it's metal and when you put a blow dryer to it, it heats up and acts like a curling iron...great for making a flapperish hair do!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal said:
There's a brush I found that I loved having when I had that kind of hairstyle; it's metal and when you put a blow dryer to it, it heats up and acts like a curling iron...great for making a flapperish hair do!

I have a ceramic round brush I use for that. I love it!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Hi cadence!

Hair rats used to be made of hairs that had gotten brushed out and were put in old stockings to help to form rolls and to make them more stabil. You rolled them in your hair and fixed it with pins.

Nowadays one can also buy foam-rolls to get the same effect. :)

All the best,
Sari

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hair rats are used to bulk up fine or thin hair. I recommend making them with your own hair, as the ones available today are offered in an odd shade of gray and hard to blend in.

However, back combing usually bulks up the hair to the point that you can get away without rats--this is one step you don't want to forget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe