Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

Raegan

New in Town
How do you get your rolls to be so nice and tight like that? Whenever I do mine they always get puffy.

Naama said:
Kaela, I guess you hear that often, but I just have to say that, you just look so much like Brittany Murphy, it's unbelievable.... ;)
Naama

I was thinking that exact same thing.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Very cute Kaela! And decodoll is right--that ice cream sure looks delicious!

Raegan, when I roll my hair I make sure to form the rolls in a cone shape, keeping them very tight and closed at the back, and open at the front. Because my hair is so long, it sometimes helps to tilt my head forward so that I can pull the section about to be rolled out straight, keeping an even tension throughout. Don’t be afraid to pull a little, as this will help you keep the rolls as neat as possible.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Kaela-you're so adorable,I could hug you!

Okay,finally got my VLV2006 pics developed so I have a few pics with a much better view of my hair,as well as being more complimentary to me.
In case you don't want to surf back a few pages,this was created using small sponge rollers alternating the front and sides toward the face,then the next section away from the face,the back was set under,except for the hairline which was blown dry using a very small round brush.

TheDivaPinup and Rubyredlocks in a flower by TheDivaPinup:
47b6d824b3127cce898b0315db6d00000016109AbOXLFk0bS

The hubby and Rubyredlocks,this one is actually second day hair and I just brushed the top a bit smoother that morning:
47b6d824b3127cce898bb3a1db8100000016109AbOXLFk0bS

I have to admit that even though I thought the hairstyle looked great and held well after reviewing the pics I can't stand that much of my forehead showing and immediately returned to a classic full fringe.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
Thanks Katydid!
I forgot to post it in the recent purchase thread,I'll see if I can find a full length shot for the thread and post the where to buy info.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Kaela, I love your wide scope in hair styles/colors. I can see the Britany Murphy resemblance but my initial thoughts when I saw the brunette pics was of Anne Frank,which is a total complement as she lived during that time and your look made me think of her.

Kaela

Vendor
hahaha, Brittney Murphey! All my life, nobody ever said I looked like anybody, and that's about the tenth time I've heard that this month! Oh well, I suppose it's a compliment, but I sure take a liking to that Anne Frank compliment, I used to just adore her when I was younger!

As for how I get them like that, like jitterbugdoll said, just make sure they're really tight! Mine tend to look a little too starchy, because I use hairspray to hold them in windy weather, but if you can get away with it, spray your hair before you roll it up, and it won't be so obvious. It jsut takes some practice! I've been doing rolls for the last four years, this past year it's the majority of my outside appearance.

And as for that delicious Disney dessert, it's a Dole Pineapple whip, the greatest thing that ever happened to frozen delectables!

Kaela

Vendor
magneto said:
You look so so cute! Wow, my hair is the same length as yours in the last 2 pics and I always assumed it was too short for rolling...must try this.

Yeah, it can be tricky! I first started trying rolls when my hair was just a bit of a grown out bob!! Now --that-- was difficult, but you can do rolls if your hair is short like mine, it's just to my shoulders, which is actually a very versatile length for vintage styles, because I can set it to look 20s or 30s short, or I can put it in 40s rolls quite easily!
Just, whenever you do a roll, it's best to put bobbypins on either side of the strand of hair that you are rolling up, and put the pins so that they will be to your head when you roll the hair, that way, even if it's layered, the shorter layers will still be held in place with the pins! Since there isn't much hair to make it so that you have a good thick roll, you need to be a little creative about it. I always pull my rolls so that they start to turn away from my face, like it's in between a reverse roll and a pompadour, that way, nobody will be able to see through your roll, even if there's practically no hair ends to thicken it! ANd you even give the illusion of having longer hair. It's tricky, I never even come out with the best rolls everytime, but I never came into these styles expecting them to be easy!

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Wow, Doll!

Doll,

You look fantastic! The hair is tremendous and your makeup is great--you have such wonderful coloring!

I swear if this photo had been in black and white, I would have thought it was originial to the time.

Jessica

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Kaela, your haircut gave me a bit more courage about having my hair cut today. My hairs will be longer than yours (slightly overshoulder lenght in a cute 40s pageboy style) and I´m glad to see one can still manage rolls with a shorter lenght. I´m so used to have very long hair, but curling it is getting so hard :( Now everyone wish me luck while I get rid of some inches tonight ;)

Naama

Practically Family
Wow, doll! Your hair looks stunning! And his dress is great!

And Sari, I wish you best luck for your haircut! I'm sure it'l look good!

Naama

Etienne

A-List Customer
This may have been covered before, I'm not sure. When I went to that 40's hair and make-up class, the hair stylist showed us how to take a section of hair (when making a roll) and tease it with a fine comb in a few firm, straight-down motions from the INSIDE to create a little bulk. Then the hair was gently combed on the outside and just "smoothed" on the teased inside. She had us lightly spray the section and then make the roll. It was amazing how she got rolls to look full on gals with fine, think hair! If your own hair is thick enough then this isn't something you'd need to do. But she did have us pull the section quite firmly when making the roll, keeping it taut nearest the head. (She also showed us how to use "padding" to make the sections thicker and therefore easier to work with.) Hope this helps someone!--Etienne

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
RetroModelSari said:
Kaela, your haircut gave me a bit more courage about having my hair cut today. My hairs will be longer than yours (slightly overshoulder lenght in a cute 40s pageboy style) and I´m glad to see one can still manage rolls with a shorter lenght. I´m so used to have very long hair, but curling it is getting so hard :( Now everyone wish me luck while I get rid of some inches tonight ;)
Good luck! and be brave! :D There's something about getting a haircut that can invoke fear into us! Probably due to some very bad salon experiences! I too had very long hair and found it to be a pain to style it daily...was just too much! plus my hair was super thick. I just bought some medium sized sponge rollers the other day...so I guess a few of us will be experimenting with our do's :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
This may have been covered before, I'm not sure. When I went to that 40's hair and make-up class, the hair stylist showed us how to take a section of hair (when making a roll) and tease it with a fine comb in a few firm, straight-down motions from the INSIDE to create a little bulk. Then the hair was gently combed on the outside and just "smoothed" on the teased inside.

That's called backcombing, and it is definitely essential to creating nice, big 1940s rolls :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
My experience today was very very good! I came in and showed the picture and he was like "wonderfull!!! A 40s cut! I love those and I can show you how to style it with hot rollers". He styled me a cute Norma Jean-esque curly do that I love a lot cause it fits so well for daily work and explained me how he set the rollers. The price was unexpectedly low like for a "normal" hairstylist (37 Euro which is about 48 $) for cutting and styling and he said I can come and have my hair set lasting for a week for 10 € (13 $) a week!!! I¬¥m absolutely happy and now I try to keep my new hair-do with spongerollers over night! FINALLY a hairstylist that I left without thinking "Damn I look so horrible now!!!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe