Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your hair do's....

JitterBugJenny

New in Town
Tonights style!
Viva La Hot Rollers!

Jennallsmiles.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
very very very lazy hair day for me. stayed in cleaned, cooked and did my school work.
6xaltn9.jpg

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Wow!! goldwyn girl, that's what I call a perfect hairdo!!! How many times does it take you to do it??? Do you use rats???... How do you make it?? Your hair is amazing!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
goldwyn girl said:
I never remember to take pics of my hair but last night I thought of it so after a long day of antique shopping and dinner I snapped a couple. Boy I look tired !!!

000_2055-1.jpg
000_2052-1.jpg

Great hair Goldwyn, I wish my hair stayed up so well after a busy day!:)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe it is meant to be used like the Jackey?

BeBopBaby said:
I'm so jealous of straight hair because my hair always looks like a bird's nest! The secret to the finger waves are this weird, antique spring-loaded hair clip that I found in a bag of metal curler rods at a garage sale. I've never been able to find another clip like it. An entire set of them is my holy grail. Like I said, I only have one clip. So for each wave I had to set my hair with the clamp and setting lotion, let my hair air dry, take the clamp out & put it back in my hair in the next spot - let it set & air dry until my entire head was done. It takes almost an entire day for everything to dry, so I don't do it very often.
I have this celluloid waver from the 30s called Jackey, which you use the wave the hair into place, then you pin the hair down and move on to the next wave. Do you really need to wait for wave 1 to dry, or would immobilizing it with pins and those alligator clips work?
I will take pics of the Jackey and put it up at some point. It's a cool gizmo!

Miss 1929

Yes! Like the Jackey!

BeBopBaby said:
A while back, someone asked me to post a picture of the wave clip that I used to finger wave my hair in this picture.
4184.jpg

The clip has three rows of teeth. the middle row of teeth is spring loaded and the teeth go in the opposite direction of the outer teeth.

Here is the clip closed.
IMG_0080.jpg

Here is the clip open.
IMG_0081.jpg

When the clip is opened the teeth grip the hair.
IMG_0082.jpg

When the clip is closed, the middle section of teeth push the hair into a wave shape.
IMG_0083.jpg

I got the clip in a bag of old metal perm curlers at a garage sale and I've never been able to find another like it. The clip pushes your hair into the wave, unlike regular wave clips that pinch your hair into a wave. You don't get the pinched ridge in your hair that you tend to get with the normal wave clips.

Exactly! And the Jackey instructions say "use one Jackey for your whole head - do not leave in the hair". So I think you can make a faster set by just using it as a waver and putting in the clips/pins to hold what you just waved, then removing it, and so forth... I love my Jackey!

Miss 1929

Waviness...

It is so darn hard to do the wave across the back of the head! And so hard to take a picture of it too!
I got to playing with waves...

l_05277dae92d8ce22662b4ca62d709740.jpg

And I am using a net donut thing for the bun, with a hairnet over it. My hair is barely long enough to do this again after the Spring Madness Haircut...

Antje

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
It is so darn hard to do the wave across the back of the head! And so hard to take a picture of it too!
I got to playing with waves...

l_05277dae92d8ce22662b4ca62d709740.jpg

And I am using a net donut thing for the bun, with a hairnet over it. My hair is barely long enough to do this again after the Spring Madness Haircut...

This is so hard, I tried it like this a couple a weeks ago, but ended up with a frizzy mes.
so I pincurled it aigain.
I really would like to learn, Its not fair I'm really good at it with my customers only not with myself :(

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
pennycarrol said:
Wow!! goldwyn girl, that's what I call a perfect hairdo!!! How many times does it take you to do it??? Do you use rats???... How do you make it?? Your hair is amazing!!

Thank you ladies. I can get these rolls in a matter of a minute or two. No rats, I tease the hair with a boar bristle brush then roll it around two fingers and pin into place.

Miss 1929

Has anyone used these?

They seem to get very expensive on Ebay...
0f71_1.JPG

But I have a concept - you know those foam things they put between your toes while having a pedicure? What if you took two of those and glued them back to back with hot glue? Am I crazy or brilliant?

Seems like they would be about the right shape and size, and lighter and squishier, therefore more comfortable. And they are cheap!

I am willing to try it, but I don't know how the hair should be wrapped on the marcellers. Twist or not?

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
They seem to get very expensive on Ebay...
0f71_1.JPG

But I have a concept - you know those foam things they put between your toes while having a pedicure? What if you took two of those and glued them back to back with hot glue? Am I crazy or brilliant?

Seems like they would be about the right shape and size, and lighter and squishier, therefore more comfortable. And they are cheap!

I am willing to try it, but I don't know how the hair should be wrapped on the marcellers. Twist or not?
That's a good idea. It'd be great if it works.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
JitterBugJenny: Your curls are so pretty!!! You take lovely pictures!

Goldwyn Girl, Your hair is spot on. I like how your did your bangs too!

DeeLovely: I think your curls came out beautifully! So full and beautiful!

Sara: It IS hard to wave the back!!! But I think you got it!! I bet it looked real nice too! and I think you have a great idea with the toe separators!! I think you should try it! Let us know! hee hee!! I've seen those on Ebay, and they do always go for outrageous prices. I wonder how well they work though...[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe