Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
GOK said:
:eek:fftopic: You're so lucky Lady D - I'm all alone here. I've been living here for two months and the only people I know are restaurant staff and my hairdresser! None of which are girls and none are into vintage. Most of my girlfriends live 100s of miles away.

Ive met both of them in person when we had our little get together. It was a good time :)
Im sure they will return. Real life sometimes gets a hold of people.

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Coats coats coats!!!

voguepattern.jpg

The pattern. I changed it from the start. It did not call for a lining, so I added one. Also the collar was a bit too much for my short neck, so I cut it down some.

You ladies have seen my first attempt at this pattern with the houndstooth suit coat.

blkbreastcoat.jpg

This is the second attempt. I made it doubble breasted black denim and it turned out rather well.

blkcoatdetail.jpg

Detail.

longcoat.jpg

This one is a wool polly blend with a cotton lining that I modified to a knee lenght coat. I still need to put on the belt loops but it got mistaken for genuine vintage the other day :D that was so awesome!

longcoatdetail.jpg

Detail.

feltcoatd.jpg

This is my latest one, and my first attempt at wool felt. I LOVE how it turned out! I went to Britex and got these glass buttons for only $2 each!!

glassbuttons.jpg

woolfeltdetail.jpg

There is also an A line skirt to match but it is not finished yet.

Thanks ladies,

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh LadyDay, those came out fantastic! It's so great that you not only can sew, but that you are able to modify the patterns into something else.
They are all lovely, and I really love the lining in the last one. Can't wait to see the skirt. You must take pictures of yourself in them so we can see the finished product.
Nice work. And again, it's time for Daisy to learn how to sew!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Daisy Buchanan said:
Oh LadyDay, those came out fantastic! It's so great that you not only can sew, but that you are able to modify the patterns into something else.
They are all lovely, and I really love the lining in the last one. Can't wait to see the skirt. You must take pictures of yourself in them so we can see the finished product.
Nice work. And again, it's time for Daisy to learn how to sew!

Someone needs to put a fire under your bum, missy! Get to sewin! lol

LD

BegintheBeguine

These gals are missed

Lady Day said:
Yeah, Magneto as well :(

LD
Geeze, they are both in my citay, you think Id look them up.
I seem to remember Magneto's husband (?) saying in the QM thread that they had been quite busy and would try to make it...I guess they didn't. My turban tells me that Decodoll is swamped with making hats and stuff for the holidays and to sit down in the Lounge is a day spent not working on orders....but I don't know for sure, I have been mistaken before.

Daisy Buchanan

Lady Day said:
Someone needs to put a fire under your bum, missy! Get to sewin! lol

LD
Yes, you are correct! I think it will be my New Year's resolution. It's just that because I've been sick over the past year, I was tentative to start any new big projects, in fear that I wouldn't be able to finish them. So, even though I found a great lady in my area offering hour long private lessons at a great rate, I just kept putting it on the back burner. I'm also not working at the moment, although that's no excuse, because I'm still shopping! At least if I knew how to sew, I might make what I want instead of buying it, and that might save me some moolah in the long run. I just think it would be so wonderful, instead of hunting through ebay and on line for that perfect day dress or suit, to be able to sit down and make one. I'm also a bit tentative because of the Rheumatoid Arthritis. It affects all of my joints, but up until now, it had never affected the mobility of my hands. Now it's in my hands, and using them can be quite painful. But hey, I'm a dental hygienist, and when I do work, my hands are my livelihood. So, if I can use a ton of pressure to scale the hardened goop and crust off some patients teeth, I can learn to sew!
OUCH! My tooshy, that match under my butt is hot!!!!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Daisy, you can get electric scissors and I'm told that really helps seamstresses that have arthritis. I've actually been considering getting a pair myself to help out the cutting. It's always my least favorite part.

You can do it! :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What I did today.

Id been itching to make this dress fora time, so I just bit the bullet and did it.

DSC00345.jpg

I used a cotton lace, and a hounds tooth wool/polly blend. I like it, and I adore the skirt part of the dress. It was a lot easier than I thought.

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

I made a few oopsies, but they were rather small, considering I had never done this dress before. On the next one, I can make up the oopsies :D

LD

now all I need is a nice pair of shoes for this dress. ;)
Too bad I cnat make those lol

Daisy Buchanan

Lady Day said:
Id been itching to make this dress fora time, so I just bit the bullet and did it.

DSC00345.jpg

I used a cotton lace, and a hounds tooth wool/polly blend. I like it, and I adore the skirt part of the dress. It was a lot easier than I thought.

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

I made a few oopsies, but they were rather small, considering I had never done this dress before. On the next one, I can make up the oopsies :D

LD

now all I need is a nice pair of shoes for this dress. ;)
Too bad I cnat make those lol
That is lovely LadyDay! You just keep whipping up these dresses, I'm impressed! Really pretty, have fun wearing it....

Lauren

Ooooohhh.... I love it, Lady Day! Yay!

I'm sick (can you tell?) but this is the dress I finished today:
bustle13.jpg
bustle14.jpg

bustle15.jpg

I swear when I really wear it I'll do my hair and wear makeup... but today is so not the day for that.

And, Lady Day, I thought you'd appreciate that I christened this the Spagetti Western dress :D

GOK

One Too Many
Fab new frocks, Ladies. Lauren, how long did that one take? Shelley, I've never thought about using lace inserts but seeing your new frock, I might just do that!

I really need to get some photos done of my new stuff. :rolleyes:

Lauren

Thanks, ladies!
Hmm.... well, it was rescued from a very bad attempt at a dress from this period- So combined- maybe 20 hours? Not too long considering I had to take off the old buttons and such. Here's what it looked like before and then I rescued it from what I tried to do:
bustle07.jpg

Here's what I was working on this weekend. Sorry, can see my corset (I really need a teens one) and it really does match up at the back but it's hard to get yourself into a back fastening gown with safety pins lol
1909i.jpg
1909k.jpg

I swear, one of these years I'll make something "vintage" again... but right now is project attack-all-unfinished-projects!

Daisy Buchanan

Rosie said:
I was thinking of those ladies not too long ago. VintageJess seems to have gone bye bye too. :(

DecoDoll always has such wonderful information and Magneto is just so smart and funny.

Me missy them. :(
I was just thinking about this a few days ago. VintageJess was quite active for a while, and then just went away. All of these ladies had such great posts, and were so nice to talk to. Does anyone know how to get in contact with them outside of the lounge PM system.
I think Jess's husband was in Iraq. Maybe he came home, and she's just spending every minute with her and their baby. I do hope she pops in soon.

Lauren, your dresses came out lovely. I love the lace on the bottom one. While in Venice, we saw the most exquisite lace. I really wanted to buy some, so when I finally learn to sew, I could make something out of it. But, the lace salesmen were all really mean and un-approachable, so I came home empty handed. Oh well, I'll just have to go back soon! But, both dresses came out lovely. I really like the colors in the top one.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
another dress....

This one is a black eyelet cotton with calico cotton insets. All it needs is a zipper and its good to go :D

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

Thanks,
LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe