Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you've made!

GOK

One Too Many
I try to buy as few patterns from the UK as possible as they are hideously expensive, plus the waiting time on ordered ones is usually more than ordering from the States. Vintage patterns are almost always cheaper from across the pond. Even with shipping it's cheaper (most Ebay sellers charge around $5 to ship up to around five patterns to the UK, whereas most UK sellers charge the same to ship just one pattern domestically). With the exception of one or two sellers, US ones tend to be much nicer to deal with. This doesn't surprise me at all. When I was in LA a couple of years back I was stunned by the politeness of people in shops and restaurants. Customer care seemed to be something our US cousins excel at. I wish I could say the same of over here; unfortunately, surly and lazy attitudes often prevail - I can't tell you how many shops have lost my custom because of SAs that are more concerned with the love life of their best friend than serving me. Pfftttt.

As I mentioned before, new patterns are incredibly expensive here; the average price being $30-$35 (Vintage Vogue usually cost even more). I'm amazed that you can get new patterns for just $1.99. :eek:

Elaina

One Too Many
When I was in London, I was amazed at how ridiculously expensive everything was. There's some nice stuff, but Paris was cheaper.

Vintage Vogue is the same price regular vogue is. I just bought one on sale for $2.99. Strange how it works that way isn't it?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Here's my latest. I used my mourning dress skirt and made a new evening bodice. I made the feather headdress too. I played with photoshop to make a cabinet card :)
victorian2.jpg

Here's the back:
sdi04.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
HA! Faaaaaaan tastic!

You look like a sassy lady on a riverboat.
"Why yes I do play craps sir," you say in a heavy Georgia accent. "My husband taught me now."
But really you taught him ;)

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lauren said:
Here's my latest. I used my mourning dress skirt and made a new evening bodice. I made the feather headdress too. I played with photoshop to make a cabinet card :)
victorian2.jpg

Here's the back:
sdi04.jpg
Wow Lauren, that is magnificent. You did such an amazing job. OK, I know I've been saying this for months, but I've got to start those darn sewing lessons, so by the time I'm 70 I might be able to make something like that. It's just so much easier to buy the fabric and the pattern and take it to this professional tailor in the next town over, and have her do it for me. She's really amazing, does wedding and pageant gowns, and has a vast knowledge of the vintage style. But, I really do need to learn to do it myself.
Nice job though, it truly is incredible. Really like the head piece too. I hope you get to wear it out soon.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Thank you very much, ladies!

Yes, Elaina is right. I've been sewing a long time and went to school for fashion design- and while I admit to not always reading directions anymore it really is what you should do as guidelines- when you're starting out you just have to! And I made the mistake early on of trying to accomplish a pattern that was much more difficult than I could actually make. If you stay at beginner when you're starting it will be much more fun because you'll feel like you're accomplishing things instead of ending up frustrated! Something that also helped was having people help me step by step and explain to me why what I was doing was necessary. Like seam allowances- until I started taking quilting classes with my mom I never paid attention to them and would wonder why my dresses never went together right! It's kind of a pain to sew sometimes because you need at least a little math, but really, sewing has helped me with my basic measuring and arithmetic- I'm still awful but at least now I know I need it for the basics. You can do it, Daisy! And the fun part is when you make it yourself you can make it on your time frame, the way you want it, to fit you and at the end you can say "I made this!"

Oh, and I also really hate handwork- unfortunately it's a necessity with some of these period gowns, but I make sure to do it so you can't really see my stitches! My blind hem on my sewing machine is my best friend :D

Elaina

One Too Many
Now after the basic stuff, I have always suggested going with the next step up from your skills IF you have the paitence. Easy is always good to whip one out, and the ones that don't say anything at all, when a new sewer, usually have a technique or 2 that is a bit more advanced then the easy ones, but can be easily done (if you take your time).

The nice thing about the internet, too, is that if you DO run over a technique you don't understand you can find something on it. Or ask someone who sews. My problem used to be my mom sewed for 40 some odd years and did it faster then I could. I felt I should be able to go that fast. I cou;dn't and spent more time ripping out until I sat down and sewed every day until I got where I wanted to on speed. I now sew faster then she does (I too took classes in college for fashion design, I just took this year off) and I got a machine for the house I wanted to sew on, I didn't have to settle on. (So I now sew faster on my treadle then my mom does on her electric).

I need to drag out my blind hemmer sometime. I'm sure my son would appreciate that, since he usually is my blind hemmer.

GOK

One Too Many
Lauren, that gown is wonderful. I bet you swish well in it! I love the cabinet card too - do you have a template that you use or is it a case of scanning and bastardizing a real one?

Elaina - shame on you...that's child labour that is! Heheh!

Daisy - get thee to a dressmaking course now! Honestly, Lauren's right, there is no substitute for making things yourself. It's such a great feeling (and you get to have clothes that fit properly too!). :D

Elaina

One Too Many
It's not child labor: it's teaching a skill to a kid that is USEFUL (as in it's useful that *I* don't have to do it.)

Seriously, he wanted to learn to sew, and is better at hand sewing then I am. Kiddo can tack a hem up prety well if he concentrates.

GOK

One Too Many
Elaina said:
It's not child labor: it's teaching a skill to a kid that is USEFUL (as in it's useful that *I* don't have to do it.)

Seriously, he wanted to learn to sew, and is better at hand sewing then I am. Kiddo can tack a hem up prety well if he concentrates.

Awww bless, he sounds like a real cutie. :)

Shimmy Sally said:
Wonderful work!
I agree, patience is one of the most important traits in a seamstress. It takes an odd kind of inside-out logic as well. Sewing is not for the lazy.

I agree - I work on average, 11-13 hours a day. Definitely not for lazybones!

Rosie

One Too Many
Wow Lauren! Fantastic as always. I've said it before but my goddness do you have patience.

I threw a simple shirt dress on the floor the other day because it was annoying me. lol

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
what I made

Here are some of my recent projects:

This was gift for a friend
URL]

I took these to Viva a couple of years ago,
URL]

The pants sit high on the waist and were nice and wide. It's actually a PJ pattern.

This one was made for going dancin' in.
URL]

The first two are from Simplicity patterns from the 1940s. The last one is Modern Vogue pattern from their Easy Options line..

:)

EDIT.. Im new to posting images and goofed it so the links are attached... sorry about the confusion.

GOK

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: You're so lucky Lady D - I'm all alone here. I've been living here for two months and the only people I know are restaurant staff and my hairdresser! None of which are girls and none are into vintage. Most of my girlfriends live 100s of miles away.

Rosie

One Too Many
I was thinking of those ladies not too long ago. VintageJess seems to have gone bye bye too. :(

DecoDoll always has such wonderful information and Magneto is just so smart and funny.

Me missy them. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe