Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Schott Perfecto fur collar

tweedydon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm not a big fan of faux fur, but Schott will happily make a detachable collar using either sheepskin or mouton for a price that's pretty close to that which they charge for their faux fur.

I'm leaning towards dark brown mouton, but does anyone have any pictures of Schott real fur collars?

Thanks!

Edward

Bartender
I'll be interested to hear about your experience on this. I'd like a collar for my 618; I'd be satisfied with the standard option, though tempted by real mouton if there's no significant difference in price as they aren't cheap, really. For me, it'll be black - partly I'm not so keen on mixing black and brown, partly as it was inspired by photos of Johnny Thunders in a black jacket with a black furry collar.

Aloysius

I'll be interested to hear about your experience on this. I'd like a collar for my 618; I'd be satisfied with the standard option, though tempted by real mouton if there's no significant difference in price as they aren't cheap, really. For me, it'll be black - partly I'm not so keen on mixing black and brown, partly as it was inspired by photos of Johnny Thunders in a black jacket with a black furry collar.

I’ve posted mine and about ordering it, actually inspired somewhat by our conversations about the one Johnny Thunders had. Although his jacket with the mouton was a women’s jacket, not sure which model.

It’s a much softer mouton than my Aero collars, not that they’re bad.

Edward

Bartender
I’ve posted mine and about ordering it, actually inspired somewhat by our conversations about the one Johnny Thunders had. Although his jacket with the mouton was a women’s jacket, not sure which model.

It’s a much softer mouton than my Aero collars, not that they’re bad.

I'll check that out. Yeah, that's the same photo I'm thinking of. AFAIK, the photo was taken later on (I think...), but presumably the jacket was a relic from NY Dolls days.

tweedydon

I've been quoted :

Sheepskin collar (available colors see style 257S on our website) - $150

Mouton collar (available colors - black and dark brown) - $165

They also ask you to send your jacket in to them so they can align the studs, as these are collars are custom made. So, there's that cost also--as well as $20 to ship the jacket back. So, a bit more than $200 for a custom mouton collar. That IS a lot... but the faux fur collars are $125, and so an upcharge of $75 is pretty reasonable.

And I've been converted to the black collar!

Aloysius

I've been quoted :

Sheepskin collar (available colors see style 257S on our website) - $150

Mouton collar (available colors - black and dark brown) - $165

They also ask you to send your jacket in to them so they can align the studs, as these are collars are custom made. So, there's that cost also--as well as $20 to ship the jacket back. So, a bit more than $200 for a custom mouton collar. That IS a lot... but the faux fur collars are $125, and so an upcharge of $75 is pretty reasonable.

And I've been converted to the black collar!

I think for someone like Edward who already owns the 618 (and lives abroad so the cost of posting the jacket would be a bit of a waste), it would probably be worth asking if they can just make the stock faux fur collar, except with the real thing, in the size that corresponds to his jacket's size, since it is set up for that.

For what it's worth, my collar for my modern 42 (which measures like a 50s 44) fits my 50s 42 so Schott has more or less kept the pattern similar over the past few decades, such that even a size off still works.

jeo

Call Me a Cab
I'm leaning towards dark brown mouton, but does anyone have any pictures of Schott real fur collars?

Here’s my dark brown Schott collar. Based on the Schott ticket it’s from the 90’s. I bought it secondhand on eBay, so I don’t know for sure if it’s real fur or not. My guess would be no. It does have a similar look and feel as many of my original mouton collars. Feels nice and soft too. Hope this helps.

IMG_9322.jpeg
IMG_9325.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun