Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

Creeping Past

One Too Many
mike said:
Does that mean I'm holier than thou?

Almost certainly, in relation to vintage workwear, although probably less so in respect of hiking in England. ;)

Have you watched The Fast Show, where Swiss Tony, the possessor of the "[insert activity] is very much like making love to a woman" catchphrase resides?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Creeping Past said:
Almost certainly, in relation to vintage workwear, although probably less so in respect of hiking in England. ;)

Have you watched The Fast Show, where Swiss Tony, the possessor of the "[insert activity] is very much like making love to a woman" catchphrase resides?

Never heard of him. I just say things. I don't have cable & we probably wouldn't get here anyway. [huh] Although from the clip, I see I did used to have his haircut.

Doug C

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
Tell that to Mister Freedom and the folks who've paid over $400 for them:

Marinabilly, those Mister Freedom jeans look great and they actually make me want that pair of lace jeans you're selling. I've seen the light ! They should look awesome with a little hard wear on them. Again, no disrespect meant and you guys certainly taught me something with the nautical angle they represent. I know the MF stuff is amazing but it's expensive and so I do not pay much attention to it because I'm so damn broke lately. I think that we can all pretty much agree that if you're selling something, it's gonna be cool. Best luck with your sell items.

Doug C

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Laugh all you want at this:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...opId=SALE_YARDSALE_19&prepushId=SALE_YARDSALE
But for $19.99, it's pretty good. And the shawl collar looks better in person.

Ya'll can laugh, just not too loudly please - I just purchased one of the brown ones (thanks for posting it flattop). Pics when it arrives. You have to get past the initial first impression of their add. The model wearing the brown one makes it look terrible but if you switch over to the pictures of the black jacket... different model and the jacket looks wayyy better IMHO. BTW, I totally agree with you guys on less items and more quality BUT this was a good way for me to polish off a gift card from christmas that probably would have gone to waste.

Doug C

Practically Family
PoohBang said:
you really bought a fake leather jacket? And you're looking forward to it too?

Um, yea that pretty much sums it up. Come on, it was $19 for goodness sakes, and like I mentioned I was able to use a left over gift card... otherwise I might not have. I have owned tons of leather jackets (some custom made) and am only getting this one with the intention of tideing me over until spring (will have my type A-1 built for next fall). Didn't say I expected quality out of it. The basic design of it is worth the cheap price IMHO. My only hope is to have an opportunity to brag on how cheaply I got it for ;) .

vintagemaven

New in Town
Vintage Denim

I like the jeans. I wear moderns one kinda like that.......Ive been looking for affordable 40's high waist womens jeans for work. the repros can cost around $60.00 dollars which is too steep for me. I havent checked out ardvark in hollywood in years. they used to have a lot of denim.
I want to go for the rosie the riveter look at work minus the bandana...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
marineabilly said:
I actually liked the look of that jacket at first and was going to pull the trigger on it, but then I realized the mistakes I made when buying 1950's clothes over the past 19 years (of course the first few of those years was learning the clothes).
I bought almost everything I could get my hands on even as mediocre as they may have been, which left me with tons of "shit" over the years. I'm trying not to make the same mistake with workwear clothing. I'm trying to buy the best (in my opinion) repro's and originals. Granted, I won't go hog wild, as i'd like to think I have some spending discipline, but buying from Japan is not going to be cheap. I got my cross hairs focused on some nice pieces at the moment.

I guess you can say I'm going through a wardrobe overhaul.
I see what you're saying, believe me. I have TONS of stuff that I won't wear again. I remember the days of Snappygabs being in my house and begging to go check out the racks of clothes in my basement and I wouldn't let him! Now I wish I had!
But I don't regret buying a $20 jacket! It won't pass for leather, but the style is pretty cool.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I consider myself someone with vintage style and I really, truly contemplated getting that jacket from UO. As stated earlier, if it weren't for me starting to be more picky, the brown version would've been in my closet - wait... on the floor, because I ran out of hanger space :eusa_doh:

I'm not backing Doug C up, as he ripped me on my laceback jeans, but I think you'll like the jacket. BTW, I'm kidding about ripping me thing ;)

Edit: Welcome aboard VintageMaven.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
I see what you're saying, believe me. I have TONS of stuff that I won't wear again. I remember the days of Snappygabs being in my house and begging to go check out the racks of clothes in my basement and I wouldn't let him! Now I wish I had!
But I don't regret buying a $20 jacket! It won't pass for leather, but the style is pretty cool.

Snappy is still out on the prowl...never too late if you've got the right stuff still. [huh]

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
vintagemaven said:
I like the jeans. I wear moderns one kinda like that.......Ive been looking for affordable 40's high waist womens jeans for work. the repros can cost around $60.00 dollars which is too steep for me. I havent checked out ardvark in hollywood in years. they used to have a lot of denim.
I want to go for the rosie the riveter look at work minus the bandana...

Hey hon, be careful or you'll scare the boys :p
Anyway, Freddies of Pinewood still has a number of jeans on sale. They are great, but be warned -- they are VERY high waisted. They also have super cute bib front dungarees (overalls). Recently, there seems to be a few people on Etsy selling repro trousers and overalls. Check out the powder room threads high waisted pants and jeans or the Rosie the Riveter one, although this did dissolve into a bit of a feminist discussion for a while. Great pictures if you slog through.
Now I just got to find some pictures of women in work wear from the 30's, if such a thing exists.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Speaking of workwear ... did any of you go to Rin Tanaka's vintage/repro "INSPIRATION L.A." show at the Santa Monica Airport? I did. http://inspirationla.com/vintage-klothing-gathering

Many of the top Japanese vintage/repro workwear sellers had booths there. For me, it was incredible to actually see and touch those $7,000 vintage NOS workshirts and jackets that we only get glimpses of on eBay and in Japanese magazines and books.

I even ran into one of my Japanese customers there. At his booth, he was reselling a World War I peacoat I'd sold to him on eBay.

I took some photos of the event (but not the merchandise, since we weren't allowed to). I'll post the pics soon.

Some of the Japanese dealers there:

The Flat Head (Nagano, Japan)
King. O. Wear (Tokyo, Japan)
or Slow (Osaka, Japan)
Standard California (Tokyo, Japan)
Stevenson Overall Co. (Tokyo, Japan)
Studio D’Artisan (Osaka, Japan)
35 Summers Co. (Tokyo, Japan)
Mister Freedom (Los Angeles & Japan)
T.K. Garment Supply (Ishikawa, Japan)
Atsu (Fresno, California)
Cycleman (Sunao Okamoto; Osaka, Japan) +Vintage Blue (Takanori Okamoto; Nagoya, Japan)
Freaks (Tomio Ouchi; Los Angeles, California)
K&D International (Kiyoshi Doi; Carson, California)
Hayabusa Cat Clother (Junya Demura; Toyama, Japan)
Little Reata (Masahiko Miyazaki; Tokyo, Japan)
Momo (Tetsuzo Okubo; Hollywood, California)
My 24/7 (Masaki Maekawa: Tokyo, Japan)
Snappy Gabs (Brian Cohen: Hollywood, California) + Tom Ishimaru (Tokyo, Japan)
The Surf (Masahiko Kito; Huntington Beach, California)

mattfink

Practically Family
Didn't get to go, but I've seen some pics of the event on another site. Looked like a great event and I hope they have it again next year.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
mattfink said:
Didn't get to go, but I've seen some pics of the event on another site. Looked like a great event and I hope they have it again next year.

There were several NOS 1900s polka dot workshirts at one booth. (These are the shirts that fetch thousands of bucks on eBay.) After looking over them closely, I reluctantly concluded that the cotton was very cheap, the dyes were blotchy, and the stitching was uneven. In other words, they were kinda junky. The fact is that the reproductions of these particular shirts are MUCH better made than the originals themselves. (Or at least the originals that I saw.)

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
There were several NOS 1900s polka dot workshirts at one booth. (These are the shirts that fetch thousands of bucks on eBay.) After looking over them closely, I reluctantly concluded that the cotton was very cheap, the dyes were blotchy, and the stitching was uneven. In other words, they were kinda junky. The fact is that the reproductions of these particular shirts are MUCH better made than the originals themselves. (Or at least the originals that I saw.)

Careful, don't get too close:

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/01/25/2010-01-25_she_puts_the_ass_in_picasso_masterpiece_torn_at_met.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld