Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

mike

Call Me a Cab
Rumor round town is top 50's stuff goes for peanuts today compared to its value a decade or two ago. Why not keep the 50's stuff for the next major 50's obsession to storm the planet in the spring of 2017?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mike said:
Rumor round town is top 50's stuff goes for peanuts today compared to its value a decade or two ago. Why not keep the 50's stuff for the next major 50's obsession to storm the planet in the spring of 2017?
You are correct sir. I'm not ready to unload it just yet. But I also don't see myself wearing much of it anymore either.

mike

Call Me a Cab
I have a pretty good lead that the Mole People dig their way out of the hollow earth after the winter thaw of 2017 and by early spring of that year, have fully assimilated with the prevailing human culture on the planet at that time. Their aesthetics lean toward the mid to late 1950's because they are actually ardent supports of the Comics Code and find that dressing in-period visually represents their authoritarian world view. Don't sell your stuff now, the least we can do is make a buck off of our future rulers. :(

Doug C

Practically Family
the lace up the back of those jeans don't make them a girl's model ? Not trying to be funny, just never seen those before.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Tell that to Mister Freedom and the folks who've paid over $400 for them:

My-PS09-back.jpg

my-PS09.jpg

mattfink

Practically Family
Not a real fan of the lace-up denim, but it is definitely based on a pre WWII style USN denim pant. I have a couple of pieces of the Mister Freedom line and they are fantastic, but the price is outer limits.

mattfink

Practically Family
mike said:

It was even't a decade ago...about three years ago, you could still get crazy money for 50's stuff.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mattfink said:
It was even't a decade ago...about three years ago, you could still get crazy money for 50's stuff.
Yup. The decline was very sudden. I do think however, that if you have something that's in the My Freedamn books, you could get a decent amount of $$.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Yup. The decline was very sudden. I do think however, that if you have something that's in the My Freedamn books, you could get a decent amount of $$.

Yup, scarcity is still creating some value. Gone are the days of over $100 for a large gab flap pocket shirt.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I'm betting they would still have the patterns from long ago. It would be very easy to add the buttonholes and buttons. I have the zipped version - it's my favourite Aero jacket.

mattfink said:
Wonder if they'd do it with buttons....the W&W stuff only goes up to a 40 and I need a 44.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
flat-top said:
Laugh all you want at this:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urba...opId=SALE_YARDSALE_19&prepushId=SALE_YARDSALE
But for $19.99, it's pretty good. And the shawl collar looks better in person.

I actually liked the look of that jacket at first and was going to pull the trigger on it, but then I realized the mistakes I made when buying 1950's clothes over the past 19 years (of course the first few of those years was learning the clothes).
I bought almost everything I could get my hands on even as mediocre as they may have been, which left me with tons of "shit" over the years. I'm trying not to make the same mistake with workwear clothing. I'm trying to buy the best (in my opinion) repro's and originals. Granted, I won't go hog wild, as i'd like to think I have some spending discipline, but buying from Japan is not going to be cheap. I got my cross hairs focused on some nice pieces at the moment.

I guess you can say I'm going through a wardrobe overhaul.

mattfink

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
I actually liked the look of that jacket at first and was going to pull the trigger on it, but then I realized the mistakes I made when buying 1950's clothes over the past 19 years (of course the first few of those years was learning the clothes).
I bought almost everything I could get my hands on even as mediocre as they may have been, which left me with tons of "shit" over the years. I'm trying not to make the same mistake with workwear clothing. I'm trying to buy the best (in my opinion) repro's and originals. Granted, I won't go hog wild, as i'd like to think I have some spending discipline, but buying from Japan is not going to be cheap. I got my cross hairs focused on some nice pieces at the moment.

I guess you can say I'm going through a wardrobe overhaul.

Well said! I did very much the same thing...luckily selling off a bunch of BC Ethic stuff at it's peak. I've owned off an on some loud 50's stuff, but really prefer flap pocket gabs, hollywood pants and hawaiian shirts.

I have some of the J. Crew chambrays, but I wear them to my office job on casual days. Really starting to look hard at what I'm buying and the quality is the most important aspect (vs. price). better to have a few good pieces than a large pile of cheap junk. The e-Workers stuff is really the best for the $ in my opinion right now.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
mattfink said:
Well said! I did very much the same thing...luckily selling off a bunch of BC Ethic stuff at it's peak. I've owned off an on some loud 50's stuff, but really prefer flap pocket gabs, hollywood pants and hawaiian shirts.

I have some of the J. Crew chambrays, but I wear them to my office job on casual days. Really starting to look hard at what I'm buying and the quality is the most important aspect (vs. price). better to have a few good pieces than a large pile of cheap junk. The e-Workers stuff is really the best for the $ in my opinion right now.

Right on!! Yeah, I was turned on to e-workers after the passing of his primo items. Can't say much for his current stock; however, his upcoming stock looks nice. Can't beat his prices with a stick, relatively speaking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld