Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Acquisition

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
America's Comfort Hat
Sets The Pace
Stevens Pace Setter since 1917

Picked this one up last spring from OFAS ...
DSC_0074-1.jpg

Light hat body w/ a lovely 2 3/4" bound brim. (sorry photo stinks) great proportions, a hat with really "wide shoulders" so to speak, high wide crown, muy robusto!
It also has this aces peach satin lining

DSC_0005.jpg

And rather than a ribbon & bow, features this pugerree with graphic flourishes

DSC_0001.jpg

And the model, I suppose

DSC_0004.jpg

size & block

DSC_0013.jpg

It was out of Sheridan WY.

DSC_0016.jpg

From a long-standing Dept. store Stevens-Fryberger that was originally called "The New York Store" The term "New York Store" was utilized in many areas of the west as denoting a particular method of operation as opposed to being a part of a nationwide chain of "New York Stores".

$7.50 price tag...
DSC_0015.jpg

The store went under in the merger mania in the 80s
bdc408_1a_e.jpg
...but at one time was the largest Dept. store in WY.
A wealthy retired couple purchased the 24,000 sq. ft. store and turned it in to a chi-chi residence, the hat dept. (according to HDTV) is now a laundry room!
bdc408_1f_e.jpg

Looks like the property is up on the block again... if you have a couple of million on hand...or finance - 30 yr. fxd. rate @ 6.5%... after a 20% down payment, why that'll only be 11K a month! Real Estate Ad

Rick Blaine

Thanks fellas...

Feraud said:
Man oh man. I love that peach lining!!
Do you think the ribbon was replaced because it does not match the brim binding?
Swell hat. :D

Thanks Feraud... from what I can tell, all that is original to the item...

tonyb said:
Very, very nice, Blaine. Dontcha just love it when an old hat arrives with all those clues to its history still intact?

Yea buddy... I am a big-time history buff & trivia trap, so the more information that I can cram between my ears, the happier I am...:rolleyes:

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Hey, Rick, that is a mighty fine hat and a great description of its background. It really adds a lot to know so much about it. I have added a new word (new to me) to my vocabulary, too--puggarree, which my dictionary tells me is: a light scarf wrapped around a sun helmet or used as a hatband. Thanks for sharing.

Razzman

One Too Many
That is a grand hat.:eusa_clap I too like the color and the ribbon.:) I must concur with the other responders, I wish I could find a hat like that.

Rick Blaine

WOW

jamespowers said:
Holy Crimony! That hat is beautiful! Take more pictures, I want to see if Art can duplicate it. :p ;)
I have said that Stevens was a great hat maker at one time. This just provides a great example of their craft. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

This IS the sincerest form of flattery... *garsh* >blushes<

I am having to leave town f/ a week (hopfully less) to look after family buisness & will have NO COMPUTER ACESS:rage: :rage: :rage:
.... but upon my return I will enter the studio & make a series of photos to post...

What more can you tell me about the Stevens Hat Co.?

Thanks to all for the enthusiastic response!!

Rick Blaine

Yea, me too

GentlemanFarmer said:
Hey Rick,

Great story, with the pictures and everything. Hope I can find something out about that Stetson you guided me to.

When I was in the auction biz (mid 80s) we said "provenance is everything"... chain of ownership & so on. And it is just so much more interesting... I think many here among us are born curators :eusa_doh: re: the OR, I'm hoping you'll be postin' it as soon as you can... looked mighty nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally