Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real Mccoy J-22, Mouton Collar Fits

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
Well, it has been a long time coming.
I have always Loved the way J-24 looked and thought I would never be able to pull it off.
The fit stopped me for a while but I never gave up searching. Until I found a solution.
So, Here I am offering what I have learned with a few that might be still searching.

I wear 40 in J-100 and it fits me like a glove.
shoulders: 18 inch
P2P : 21
and sleeves 24.5: inch
So my issue with J-100 is that the Jacket looks great but my mobility is close to 50%. (That said I still have it and wear it from time to time).

So in search of corss zipped I found out that J-22 offers a more roomy interior and looks the same as J-24. (trimmed fit)
While back I pulled the trigger on size 40 and couldn't have been happier.
shoulders are 18, p2p 21 but it offers more room in the arms and for sure I can move with it and carry my daily tasks.

Here is where things got a little complicated. I loved the look of the mouton collars on the J-24 but there was 0 information on what fits a J-22.
The Real Mccoy site tells you that the new Mouton collars do not fit older models J-22 included. Yet when I would compare the location of the snaps with the old/new models they looked similar.
well after many many months of searching, I found one member here who had tried fitting a new mouton collar to his J-22 successfully. So I was able to work a deal with one of the members here and got one. model # BJ21101

WOW, in my opinion, it changed the look of the J-22 completely
So I am here to promote the fir of the J-22s and go on record with pictures that the Collar fits, ...... ;)
I hope this inspires more J-22 owners to buy / fit the collar and have fun.
image0.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Last edited:

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
Nice fit. So the J-22 fits like the new fit (2021) J-24?
it is for sure a more relaxed fit.... More room in the arms yet a trim fit. I would say it is between the old J-24 and the new. The new one seems more boxy this still has a trim fit when zipped. Let me know if more measurements or pic would clarify.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
it is for sure a more relaxed fit.... More room in the arms yet a trim fit. I would say it is between the old J-24 and the new. The new one seems more boxy this still has a trim fit when zipped. Let me know if more measurements or pic would clarify.
The J-22 looks very good fit, very athletic and has a good taper both sleeve and torso. I prefer this type of fit over the others. Most of the J-24 I've seen are very slim but rectangle shaped like the Lewis tight fits. When I found out about the new fit is wider I kept looking for them on the used market and pulled the trigger with the proxy coupons last week, just sweating now until it comes through the mail. haha.

Congrats on your jacket. Looks great.

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
The J-22 looks very good fit, very athletic and has a good taper both sleeve and torso. I prefer this type of fit over the others. Most of the J-24 I've seen are very slim but rectangle shaped like the Lewis tight fits. When I found out about the new fit is wider I kept looking for them on the used market and pulled the trigger with the proxy coupons last week, just sweating now until it comes through the mail. haha.

Thank you sir,
you are 100% correct on the fit. Oh, BTW you have to share some photos when yours comes in.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Ive never come across any like that honestly, I cant think of any examples Ive heard about anyway. No McCoys jackets Ive ever had have been like that (all RMC ones Ive ever tried have a fair taper), nor Flat Head (which are known for their wide shoulders), although I suppose there are quite a few other makers

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
indeed, I have never had/seen any Japanese jacket that had wider Hem than Shoulders.... Some have too much in the shoulder area (Flat Head) but always have seen a good amount of taper.

Last edited:

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Ive never come across any like that honestly, I cant think of any examples Ive heard about anyway. No McCoys jackets Ive ever had have been like that (all RMC ones Ive ever tried have a fair taper), nor Flat Head (which are known for their wide shoulders), although I suppose there are quite a few other makers
The Real McCoy's JH-1 fits like that I think, tight shoulders and wide hem. Don't know about it being A shaped, but they are cut kinda straight without much taper.

That's the only one of their lineup I can think of.

Shawnziee

Familiar Face

how did the J-24 fit btw? would love to see some fit pics...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
how did the J-24 fit btw? would love to see some fit pics...
I actually first got a current fit 42, then traded for a current fit 44. Now I am looking for an old fit 44, I assume the old fit 44 will fit me better.
New fit 44 basically has the same upper frame (shoulder and sleeves) as the old J-25 in 44, but one inch wider in the lower torso, this actually pushes out the sleeves and make them look a bit different. For me the new fit is a bit boxy and if I size down other things don't work as well. So back on the hunt again for an old fit 44. haha.

new fit J-24 vs old fit J-25 both tag size 44
New fit J24 44 vs Old fit J25 44 front.jpg

New fit J24 44 vs Old fit J25 44 back.jpg
New fit J24 44 vs Old fit J25 44 side .jpg

J-25 Skinny 44 vs J-24 fat 44 shoulder.JPG
J-25 Skinny 44 vs J-24 fat 44 arm.JPG
J-25 Skinny 44 vs J-24 fat 44 chest.JPG
J-25 Skinny 44 vs J-24 fat 44 hem.JPG

I thought about having the new fit custom taper down to fit more like the old fit but there's also the side panels on the new fit. So looking for an old fit in 44 first and see where that would take me. Long journey on this one...

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
I actually first got a current fit 42, then traded for a current fit 44. Now I am looking for an old fit 44, I assume the old fit 44 will fit me better.
New fit 44 basically has the same upper frame (shoulder and sleeves) as the old J-25 in 44, but one inch wider in the lower torso, this actually pushes out the sleeves and make them look a bit different. For me the new fit is a bit boxy and if I size down other things don't work as well. So back on the hunt again for an old fit 44. haha.

View attachment 633209
View attachment 633212 View attachment 633213
View attachment 633218 View attachment 633219 View attachment 633220 View attachment 633221

I thought about having the new fit custom taper down to fit more like the old fit but there's also the side panels on the new fit. So looking for an old fit in 44 first and see where that would take me. Long journey on this one...
Wow this is interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Indeed a more boxy look of the new cut is not as attractive as the old fit. I always wanted to ask... do you think the new cut would be different in different markets? USA stores Vs. in Japan?
I often hear that some RMCs that come from the Japanese market do fit slightly smaller

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Wow this is interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Indeed a more boxy look of the new cut is not as attractive as the old fit. I always wanted to ask... do you think the new cut would be different in different markets? USA stores Vs. in Japan?
I often hear that some RMCs that come from the Japanese market do fit slightly smaller
I am 99% certain that things go by item numbers, aka MJ_____ or BJ_____, but the problem is that RMC does not have a tag inside that state the model number. Original tag helps as it says on it what item it is, but it also has the listing price which can become sensitive on the reseller market.

So current fit RMC model numbers are mostly 5 digits after the MJ or the BJ then followed by the type of leather/finish, 030 is the good old black teacore Shinki, there is also 050 and some other ones, then follow by tag size. It would be much easier if these info are on an inside tag in one of the pockets...
IMG_1907.JPG

Chris_K

One of the Regulars

View attachment 633209
View attachment 633212 View attachment 633213
View attachment 633218 View attachment 633219 View attachment 633220 View attachment 633221

Believe it or not Canuck, I actually prefer this slightly more boxy new fit!

I think your 44 looks great here, a little moulding time like Shinki seems to do very well and this is going to be perfect!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Believe it or not Canuck, I actually prefer this slightly more boxy new fit!

I think your 44 looks great here, a little moulding time like Shinki seems to do very well and this is going to be perfect!
Yeah I need to give it a little time. The shinki takes a bit of time to mold and I just haven't worn it much at all. My Highwayman is even boxier than the J24 but broken in it feels pretty good. I am still hunting an older fit jacket around 2021 though haha just in case...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld