Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I don't know... I don't think RL has specifically outlet merchandise. The green label stuff you can find at middle range stores. They have fit issues, namely the armholes, though I don't think they are made specifically for the outlets. the nice thing is when you walk into the outlet and run into a purple label suit that is going for 300 marked down from 3000

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Double RL Belt Back Jacket

I bought this RRL belt back jacket at an RL outlet in NY for about $60 (originally $325). The fabric is a heavy cotton herringbone. It'll make a good casual fall sportscoat.

I just sort of put the jacket over what I was wearing already today and threw on a tweed cap instead of a linen one.
CIMG4196.jpg

CIMG4197.jpg

CIMG4202.jpg

Sorry for the shoddy pictures- my photographer was on sick leave.

I took this picture for the bowtie but it shows off the fabric rather nicely. The shirt is also Polo from the same trip. Pardon the chapped lips.
CIMG4206.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Looks like a late 30's repro... I like it a lot. Needs a bit more fit in the back to make the belt stand out. Wish they sold those around here. I go to the Beverly Hills shop all the time and when it comes to men's fashion... well let's just say they need more selection. My favorite shop is still their one in Chicago.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say Ray, that's a slick trick of a tog! That belted back is pretty authentic and I LOVE the fact it has three patch pockets... you never see something like this being made! The fabric is fantastic looking! It is a very nice repop! Now, for once I'm going to sound like Matt in saying: Those arm holes are a little big... lol

The belted back is really nice, it's a gathered style apposed to the standard pleats. They had this style and many others!

Good job my friend! A nice pair of tan gabardine would look amazing with that coat or, even a pair of light blue/gray, or, blue/green!;)

=WR=

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
Say Ray, that's a slick trick of a tog! That belted back is pretty authentic and I LOVE the fact it has three patch pockets... you never see something like this being made! The fabric is fantastic looking! It is a very nice repop!
Root, am I going to run into you at the RL outlet in Cabazon over the weekend? I can see it now, we each reach for the last belt back, herringbone jacket from opposite sides of the rack, and a little tugging match ensues... Naw, I guess that won't happen. We're both too tall and would spot the other's lid from across the store! lol

Wild Root

Gone Home
You have the upper hand, I'm not going to drive my car that far for a repro. lol... I do like the coat but, I'm still a die hard purest.;)

Ray, upon further investigation, the belt is the right width and the gathered back is great but... the belt is a little low... it's not a belted back so much as a belted butt.lol J/K really though, is it just me or does it appear to be a little low... a tailor could fix that... just have him re gather the fabric and move the belt up a little. I'd say maybe two or three inches should work.

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Natural waistline? There is a difference.;)

If you're wearing your trousers high, the belted back on the coat should be at the same place as your waist band. Is it doing this?

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Rob, those are Gap khakis. They're sitting on my hips. If I wore vintage high-waisted trousers you'd have a much better sense of where that belt was hitting (just a smidgen below my navel). I'll take pictures with those later to appease you. I just don't think you want to admit that Ralph did a good jobb. [huh]
The belt hits around the same level as Gittes' jacket-
Jake32.jpg
CIMG4202.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Matt Deckard said:
I don't think RL has specifically outlet merchandise.

I've been told that RL outlets are predominantly stocked with straight to outlet merchandise, factory overruns and factory seconds, with just a small percentage consisting of retail stock. The RL outlet at Woodbury Commons(NY) supposedly has the highest percentage of retail stock, supplied by the NYC Mansion.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
That's where I got the jacket and shirt- Woodbury Commons! You can get some great deals there! I would suspect that the polos, khakis, and some of their sweaters would be made directly for the outlet. They also seemed to have a consistent collection of navy blazers, so those may have been made specifically for the factory store. Most of the people go to the outlet to get the designer name cheap, so they're just looking for stuff with a little Polo logo. If you look around before or after the crowds start forming inside the store, you can usually find interesting little items like that belt back jacket.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
I just don't think you want to admit that Ralph did a good jobb. [huh]

You did read my first comment yes? I think they did a very good job but, I know how most belted back coats made today are never at the right place as the originals. I could be wrong but, I know how modern clothes are put together. It's a fantastic coat, just saying that it may be a touch low compared to an original.;)

=WR=

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I'm just pullin yer leg, Rob- I saw the first comment. Thanks, again! It is sitting maybe 1/2" lower than perfection, but then again the jacket itself is a little bit long on me- if you put it on a 5'9 person, this jacket would sit perfectly with the belt right at the navel level.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tony in Tarzana said:
How's yer driveshaft?

(Doesn't that sound like something Frank would say? Ring-a-ding!)

The drive shaft is good! I just had a new one made for less then having the original one fixed... weird yes? I'd say! But, she's happy and driving again! YEAH BUDDY!!!

Ghos7a55assin said:
I'm just pullin yer leg, Rob- I saw the first comment. Thanks, again! It is sitting maybe 1/2" lower than perfection, but then again the jacket itself is a little bit long on me- if you put it on a 5'9 person, this jacket would sit perfectly with the belt right at the navel level.

Ah, I see, so, it's too long for you? I think it looks alright on you regardless. Wear it and enjoy it, I can't wait to see it in person some time!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe